"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 180
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok heres a good question...for those that are having problems....are you at high altitude???...

ok heres a good question...for those that are having problems....are you at high altitude???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just purchased a greddy BOV

I just got my Greddy BOv (for those who dont know it is the one that is colored purple) I am going to install it 2morrow, but I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what these sound like and if they are going to give me any probs on my STI? any one know?
    After the race the EVO driver asked me whats that squeaking coming from your car and I replied "That was the sound of my brakes so you could catch up".

Re: I just purchased a greddy BOV

Originally posted by truckerspeed
    I just got my Greddy BOv (for those who dont know it is the one that is colored purple) I am going to install it 2morrow, but I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what these sound like and if they are going to give me any probs on my STI? any one know?
    can't answer any of your questions but please let me know if you have any problems after the install. i am really considering about getting a greddy type s bov so let me know.
    thanks
    2004 Subaru Wrx Sti

Hey whats up man, the greddy BOV that you bought sound great, it has more of a long pshhhh rather then one of those high pitched sounds. You made a good choice by buying this BOV. Hope it works out for u.

It whistles!!!!

dp and BOV questions

I have an Apex'i N1 catback in the mail right now and i'm trying to decide on a downpipe. I am trying to do this for cheap (college student cheap, not workin' man cheap) so I'm lookin at the HKS dp. Anyone had problems with it? What'll it sound like with the N1? would it be worth the money to get the Helix dp for the bellmouth?

second question: I've seen some people who have had bad experiences with the TurboXS RFL BOV, but i really would like that loud, get-noticed-ness it has. Anyone have it and love it? whos had problems? other options?
    THANKS

Re: dp and BOV questions

Originally posted by stil2stock
    I have an Apex'i N1 catback in the mail right now and i'm trying to decide on a downpipe. I am trying to do this for cheap (college student cheap, not workin' man cheap) so I'm lookin at the HKS dp. Anyone had problems with it? What'll it sound like with the N1? would it be worth the money to get the Helix dp for the bellmouth?

second question: I've seen some people who have had bad experiences with the TurboXS RFL BOV, but i really would like that loud, get-noticed-ness it has. Anyone have it and love it? whos had problems? other options?
    THANKS

if ur not going to upgrade ur turbo anytime soon get the hks -- but if you are planning to get a belmouth or spend the extra loot and get a belmouth anyways... i have an hks dp with a blitz exhaust and man is it loud !!! remember ur getting rid of 2 cats with the DP

answer to the second no problems with the turboxs bov -- but i got rid of mine for a greddy type s

why the BOV switch?

It goes whoosh or somthing and you may have idle stumbling problems, and run real rich between shifts which will shoot flames if your catless.

Edit: oh and these problems may or may not show up after several months of problem free use.
    Last edited by afpdl; 01-12-2004 at 08:48 PM.
    Alex

did you even think about looking into what you were buying before you clicked the "purchase" button?
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

I bought Greddy because they are well made products and mr 700 whp supra that I know has 2 of them and had them for about 6 months hard use at the track and he hasnt any probs whatsoever, no creep no compressor back pressure nothing.;..... so in your opinion maybe it did give you problems but I installed it and it sounded just like my friends 2x Tur Supra, (Unfortunately he lives in alabama and me in cali :-( ) but if it gave you probs maybe you had a bad valve or something and should call greddy and have them replace it. Ill let you know if I get any problems but that thing sounds great and blows off real fast once you get it road tuned to how you like it to work. At first it seemed like it was leaking my boost out so I tightened it up a few turns and Boom my car was pulling as hard as &^^* once again. and was nont easy to install on the STI I had to do some minor fabrication and alteration.
    After the race the EVO driver asked me whats that squeaking coming from your car and I replied "That was the sound of my brakes so you could catch up".

Originally posted by RLsChMiDt
    did you even think about looking into what you were buying before you clicked the "purchase" button?
    Oh and BTW I did buy locally and I knew what I was getting just wasnt quite sure if it was higher pitched or more of a fluttering sound. anyways I didnt want one of those RFLs they are too damned loud

Im pretty sure the hks are the high pitched ones all the others are pretty much the same just different volumes.
    Alex

Re: STi BOV

Originally posted by STiguy
    Im looking to buy a new blow off valve for an STi. Im looking for a nice long pshhhh rather then a high pitched squeek. If anyone has information or possibly a sound bite i would b gratefull. thnx
    I would have to say: remove the intake resonator... pretty good sound ...

All BOV sound different depending on how much boost you run. It should sound like air rushing out of a tube, followed by a whistleing noise.

Also, the more I read the "STi Forum" the more I realize that you people need to look at the rest of this website more often. This EXACT question has been asked an answered more times than even god could imagine. Same goes for any question about an exhaust system. Try that searching that lil' guy down there named "engine performance."
    I created my avatar.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.