"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 18
Page 18 of 788 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118518 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; And whats this grommet that you speak of? I didnt get a grommet in the box What does it look ...

And whats this grommet that you speak of? I didnt get a grommet in the box What does it look like?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh,,,sorry one more thing...yea I replaced that clamp with a screw type clamp...i didnt know you could lock it and after fighting with it for an hour I was like I am going to buy a screw one. But now that you are telling me about this locking business I may have to go and put it back on...i think that I was able to secure it with the screw one. How were YOU able to find your leaks...just curious.

AK,

The clamp locks OPEN, not closed. A screw type will be fine. I discovered this after struggling with it for a long time. You essentially have to squeeze it tight. BTW, I did post a BOV install procedure which included this detail.

I thought about replacing my clamp as well when I did my IC hoses, but you are right, it is a PITA. I decided to just leave it alone. The IC hoses kit comes with a BOV hose. I didn't care, I left it alone. The other end is a biatch to get to as well.

-Jim

Man if I only knew that during the hour I was trying to hold the clamp open and put the BOV on. I mean the screw ones work and all but the screw part gets in the way and it is just as hard to position as the clamp one.

I tried to use regular pliers and it was a nightmare. I almost lost an eye too. Whatever you do, slow down(I couldn't, I was like a damn kid, all excited...) and spend $10-$15 on a hose clamp tool. It was so easy. I fought for 2 hours with that damn clamp. I went to get the tool and got the job done in 5 minutes. No kidding.

Now I have a quick question... I understand and can read English, but I was lost on that "O ring" thing and how to use it. I guess I can figure it out. But any more info on that one would be more than appreciated. I set it up to 100% right now and want to switch to 50/50. I understand what I need to do for recirculating. Just not 100% sure where to put that O ring. Thanks.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

The O-ring is inside that piece that you disconnect from the recirc hose. Its just a thin rubber circle that makes a better seal. The BOV comes with a new one that you should replace the old one with.. I know....I was confused too...to be honest with you the instructions are pretty horrible...very vague.

Its just a thin rubber circle that makes a better seal

I thought the "O ring" is that little "disc" piece of metal with a little hole in the middle. It's the size of a nickel. Are we talking about the same thing here??!!
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com

heya,

i was confused by the instructions as well...they were quite poor IMO.

The new O ring is inside the sealed recirc area on your BOV. By default the system comes setup for 100%. Just plug the recir tube with the silver plug and boom, you're good to go.

When you take off your stock BOV and take off the recirculation piece you will see a black O ring there. That's what the GFB instructions say to replace with the one under the cap on the GFB one.

hmm..HTH some
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GFG bov, does yours make this sound?

bought it at irvine subaru and they did the install. Been driving around for a couple months now, and notice a clickin comin from under the hood usually after a drive and letting it sit at idle. You can actually hear this clickin from outside the car when it's idling. Upon closer inspection, the clickin was comin from the piston on the inside of the bov, right inside the horn where it vents to the atmosphere. The piston actually is slightly moving back and forth creating the clicking, it obviously isn't creating a seal.

Went to irvine subaru for them to check it out, and they said that the noise was normal, and that the grease on the inside around the piston would still create a seal even though the piston was moving slightly making the noise.

Anyone else hear these noises? Or notice their GFB doin the same thing. I got it runnin 50/50. I talked to a guy at GFB in australia, and he told me the valve should remain closed and moving isn't normal.

Let me know your opinions, thx for the feedback.
    '00 2.5RS

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: GFG bov, does yours make this sound?

Originally posted by tytlyf

Anyone else hear these noises? Or notice their GFB doin the same thing. I got it runnin 50/50. I talked to a guy at GFB in australia, and he told me the valve should remain closed and moving isn't normal.
    i agree. i heard theres a washer you can put in there to stop the movment at idle, but it really shouldnt be doing that in the first place.

i don't own an aftermarket bov so don't take my word for it, but i thought you should know that i have also been hearing about the same problem from other ppl too.
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

tytlyf,

From now on, please be EXTREMELY careful when naming new threads. GFG means nothing to someone searching for info about a Go Fast Bits BOV. I doubt anyone would spell "Boost Monkey" as "Booooost Monkeyyyy" when they are looking for information about the stupid device.

Thanks in advance.

-Jim

I got one of those too (from the same place even), but I did the install myself. Mine doesn't do that. Those valves are supposed to be "rebuildable" but I couldn't tell you if its the vavle of the way it was installed....maybe you're having idle problems and the constant change in pressure in the intake is causing it to move? Is your air filter clean?

sorry I'm just throwing out the obvious stuff here....

ok....I"ll try to go slow. in the BOV kit there's a rubber washer...I can't post a picture of it because it my car, but trust me...its there. looks like a black rubber circle....less than an inch in diameter. The BOV has a different shape than the stock BOV, and the stock washer doesn't make a good seal. So....take the air return hose off the BOV, remove the rubber washer that came with the stock valve and use the one that came with the kit. Also, make sure that the gasket that goes between the intercooler and BOV didn't fall off while you were screwing with the hose clamp....if it did you're gonna have to go get another one. As for the hose clamp itself, if you're very careful you can get it to lock open with a pair of pliers....I didn't use a hose clamp tool...but if you already got the screw-type clamp, don't worry about it....works just as well.

How did I find leaks? I didn't have any.

The gromet that I'm talking about looks like a metal washer....it also came with the GFB kit. I didn't have to use it, and actually went back to the dealer to ask him what it was for because it wasn't in the instructions...he said on some cars you need it, but since this kit was made specifically for the WRX he's never had to use it....its just a part of the package (like the wrong sized allen wrench). Oh yeah, you didn't use to allen bolts to put the return hose on did you? it says right in the instructions DON'T do that....use the OE bolts, with the new washer.

actually, if someone is searching, the search engine looks for strings of those words "GFB" or "boost monkey" in the posts, and usually not in the title. But there is the title search function. Try doing a search on either, and find that many dont even have that in their title.
    '00 2.5RS

Thank you all for your help!

I just set it up to 50/50... and oh my god!!!! Talking about quiet??! It's quieter than quiet. I guess that's how it's supposed to be. I was getting excited with the 100% setting. At the beginning it was a little bit annoying but I really started to enjoy it. Now, it's very quiet... oh well, I guess my little bit of ricer in me was enjoying the sound.

Now, I know there are threads on here and especially on I-Club regarding the 100% setting: not good. That's what some people say. I kinda understand the concept and would agree that it could hurt. Just wishing somebody could develop and detail what actually will happen or is happening.

Bottom line: I'm a little biut disappointed and miss that cool sound. But it's for the good of my car I guess.
    WRX by Nature
    www.fresnowrx.com