"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 17
Page 17 of 784 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117517 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; do you still get that cool sound if you get a 50/50 bov? who sells an aftermarket bov that vents ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    do you still get that cool sound if you get a 50/50 bov?

who sells an aftermarket bov that vents 100% back into the system?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yes it makes noise in 50/50 mode....but its not too obnoxious. I think vee-port (or the company that makes vee-port) makes a 100% intake vent. the 50/50 works just fine so you don't have to worry with it...ALL Subaru dealers I've been to have told me that the GFB causes NO problems while the 100% atm. vent valves sometimes do and sometimes don't.

The Vee-port valve is also adjustable...so you can set when you want it to open....which is not neceserily a good thing because it takes a LOT of trial and error and you need to have the right equiptment to see if you're improving or not....the GFB is set for WRX....just bolt it on and go.

The Forge BOV is a very solid unit. I have no reservations about recommending them.

BOV adjustment... hesistancy at 7psi+

The TurboXS BOV I just picked up has hesitancy over 7psi. Under 7psi seems to work like it should. I'm assuming it needs adjustment via the washer's included, but I don't quite understand the theory behind it and i'm hoping someone can lend a little help. Thanks!

your going to get a little, best way I can describe it is a farting noise under 9psi. now mine sounds fine at lower boost but when I get around 9psi not above it it farts a little bit. if you bov it closed all the way when idleing then no adjustment is needed. hope that helps.

Originally posted by dub976
    your going to get a little, best way I can describe it is a farting noise under 9psi. now mine sounds fine at lower boost but when I get around 9psi not above it it farts a little bit. if you bov it closed all the way when idleing then no adjustment is needed. hope that helps.
    What I want to be comfortable with is that the BOV is not sticking, and expelling what it must at high boost. If it only expels a little, with more air that at lower boost, then that seems somewhat concerning.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    The APS dual-vent BOV is the best BOV for the WRX that money can buy. I did my homework before investing $260 is one. I love it.

-Jim
    Agree 100%. If your buying a BOV for noise instead of performance then dont consider the APS, its pretty quiet...if you want a BOV that really works superbly on the WRX then get it. it really does keep the turbo spooled up on hard full throttle high rpm shifts...I can slice through the gears with the turbo at full spool the entire time.

GFB BOV Review

Just installed my GFB BOV today. Took about 15 minutes with the help of a friend. Very straightforward install.

High quality piece of work! I have the silver one (not my 1st choice..but i bought it off another i-clubber for a great price). Right now I have it venting 100% atmospheric and it sounds great! Get this cheesy grin every time. hehe.

Anyways, I know it's not a performance mod, but it sure sound fun

Two PSI's up!

~V
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

any idle problems or rich air:fuel mixture?.....i got mine going 50/50 and I DID notice a performance difference...cut my 1-2 gear **** turbo lag by at least half.

no idling problems at all. I don't have an A/F gauge so I can't tell how rich it's running. Lag does seem a lot better now. Of course the sound scares my fiance everytime she hears it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HAHA LOL...15 mins...jesus...it took me HOURS. Maybe I am an idiot...i don't know. I mean the 100% install is easy actaully...no need to reattach that pipe to the damn thing...just plug it up...that freakin hose clamp is insane. You should check for leaks...I found a leak on the base of the unit...poured some water on it and watched it bubble up. Did your piece come set up for 50/50...cuz mine came set up for 100% with that cover plate attached.

mine was setup for 100%. I'll probably switch to 50/50 next week to see how it sounds/works. Actually, i had a friend help me. He used nose pliers to squeeze that hose clamp while i used both hands to work the plug as well as the bov in.

it is a pain though!

~V
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yea I have it set up for 50/50 right now. I dont think that I am going to ever change it due to the difficulties that I had. You prolly wont like the 50/50 after running it at 100 because you only hear it if you really rev it up and if you have no music on.

I seem to have a leak that may be a flaw in the actual design...where the cylander part connects to the crome base. It was all dirty so i splashed some water on it while my GF reved it a little and I saw some bubbliing up....I think that I am going to ultra grey it today. Let me know if you have similar problems.

first of all did you use the new washer that came with the kit? its a bit thicker than the OE and you SHOULD be using it or you'll get leaks....there's also a gromet that came with the kit that you can use if you have a leak. If you look at the hose clamp that gave you all those problems you'll see a "locking" mechanism on it. Take the clamp clear off the hose and squeeze it with pliers until it snaps into the groove and locks open, then position it on the hose, put in the BOV. Then with your pliers just squeeze the ends a little and the clamp will "unlock" and tighten around the hose. I did the whole thing alone...although I can see how it would be really hard to do if you had to hold the clamp open while doing everything else.

Ahh...well tell me this...what does the larger washer do...whats the point of it? How will it affect the operation of the BOV? Why would the smaller one cause leaks?