"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 169

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Will installing a rear pipe and muffler off of a STi give any performance increase? How much more would a ...

Question What will a STi Exhaust do for a WRX?

Will installing a rear pipe and muffler off of a STi give any performance increase?

How much more would a STi turbo back system offer?

Is it worth the time to swap?

Thanks Bill
    Last edited by memo's wrx; 11-07-2003 at 09:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is very little to no advantange to swapping out for the STi turbo-back. It still has 2 cats and is 2.25" in diameter just like the WRX.
    '02 WRX white - Uppipe, MattSpec Turbo-back, Dynorad

Just a side note:

The STI uppipe is catless, so if you get your hands on that, you will get a performance increase over your stock WRX.

The 2.25" pipe isn't really a huge problem power wise (until you are pushing 300 BHP or more), but the 2 remaining cats certainly restrict alot of the power potential for the car.

Catless downpipe and uppipe are your best bet.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

I Support ClubWRX
    So did you get it installed or not? I don't just post and try to help out for nothing. Please post how your install turned out, and did you figure out your o-ring problem?

Any recomadations on a system that won't make my car too loud, but still offer a performance gain with breaking the bank?

Couple of things reduce the volume of high performance exhaust.
    1. Cats (preferably get a 3" high flow cat)
    2. Muffler (Prodrive, Borla Hush and GReddy cat-backs are known for being much quieter than most.
    3. Resonator (either before the muffler or built within the tail-pipe)
    4. Diameter of pipe (3.5" will be much louder than 2.5")

Of course if you don't want to break the bank then I recommend having a local muffler shop building one for you. I built an entire turbo-back for $400 Seen here.
    '02 WRX white - Uppipe, MattSpec Turbo-back, Dynorad

WRX
    sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a return hose that's supposed to go from the BOV to the turbo inlet? I'm asking for a friend.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    So did you get it installed or not? I don't just post and try to help out for nothing. Please post how your install turned out, and did you figure out your o-ring problem?
    yeah, i installed it just fine. Your advice helped, the O-ring fits around the return piece real snug. It went fine.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

just get an exhaust that has a silencer available

FMIC and AVO BOV

I just bought a blitz FMIC and I was wondering if I could use the AVO BOV that was used on a TMIC? Also where can I buy a flange for the BOV?

ThanX

OEM BOV sufficient for Cobb stage 2?

I plan to use my OEM BOV for Cobb's stage 2. Will the OEM be able to hold the increased boost. Will it still perform well?
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

yes, stock bov is adequate for pretty much anything under 20 psi or so.

What he said. ^^^
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

I have Cobb Stage 2 and stock BOV. Holds boost and works just fine. The boost increase is only a little more than 1psi.. though I do occasionally get up to 17psi if the weather is just right. I'm at sea level though, I guess that helps too.

OEM good for up to 23 Ive heard, and the DSM guys just takea punch and dimple the front and get a few more psi out of it
    --Little John--

Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    --Colin McRae

"Power is nothing without control"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/engine-flat-4.gif

"Are you OK to drink?"