"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 169
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Will installing a rear pipe and muffler off of a STi give any performance increase? How much more would a ...

Question What will a STi Exhaust do for a WRX?

Will installing a rear pipe and muffler off of a STi give any performance increase?

How much more would a STi turbo back system offer?

Is it worth the time to swap?

Thanks Bill
    Last edited by memo's wrx; 11-07-2003 at 10:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is very little to no advantange to swapping out for the STi turbo-back. It still has 2 cats and is 2.25" in diameter just like the WRX.
    '02 WRX white - Uppipe, MattSpec Turbo-back, Dynorad

Just a side note:

The STI uppipe is catless, so if you get your hands on that, you will get a performance increase over your stock WRX.

The 2.25" pipe isn't really a huge problem power wise (until you are pushing 300 BHP or more), but the 2 remaining cats certainly restrict alot of the power potential for the car.

Catless downpipe and uppipe are your best bet.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

I Support ClubWRX
    So did you get it installed or not? I don't just post and try to help out for nothing. Please post how your install turned out, and did you figure out your o-ring problem?

Any recomadations on a system that won't make my car too loud, but still offer a performance gain with breaking the bank?

Couple of things reduce the volume of high performance exhaust.
    1. Cats (preferably get a 3" high flow cat)
    2. Muffler (Prodrive, Borla Hush and GReddy cat-backs are known for being much quieter than most.
    3. Resonator (either before the muffler or built within the tail-pipe)
    4. Diameter of pipe (3.5" will be much louder than 2.5")

Of course if you don't want to break the bank then I recommend having a local muffler shop building one for you. I built an entire turbo-back for $400 Seen here.
    '02 WRX white - Uppipe, MattSpec Turbo-back, Dynorad

WRX
    sorry to hijack the thread, but is there a return hose that's supposed to go from the BOV to the turbo inlet? I'm asking for a friend.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    So did you get it installed or not? I don't just post and try to help out for nothing. Please post how your install turned out, and did you figure out your o-ring problem?
    yeah, i installed it just fine. Your advice helped, the O-ring fits around the return piece real snug. It went fine.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

just get an exhaust that has a silencer available

FMIC and AVO BOV

I just bought a blitz FMIC and I was wondering if I could use the AVO BOV that was used on a TMIC? Also where can I buy a flange for the BOV?

ThanX

OEM BOV sufficient for Cobb stage 2?

I plan to use my OEM BOV for Cobb's stage 2. Will the OEM be able to hold the increased boost. Will it still perform well?
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

yes, stock bov is adequate for pretty much anything under 20 psi or so.

What he said. ^^^
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

I have Cobb Stage 2 and stock BOV. Holds boost and works just fine. The boost increase is only a little more than 1psi.. though I do occasionally get up to 17psi if the weather is just right. I'm at sea level though, I guess that helps too.

OEM good for up to 23 Ive heard, and the DSM guys just takea punch and dimple the front and get a few more psi out of it
    --Little John--

Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    --Colin McRae

"Power is nothing without control"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/engine-flat-4.gif

"Are you OK to drink?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.