"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 164

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ditto what Mawvin said. I am running a Forge 100% BOV and have not run into any problems. I really ...

Ditto what Mawvin said. I am running a Forge 100% BOV and have not run into any problems.

I really don't say this too often but please do a search. This topic has been covered to death. There is also a good sticky on BOVs at the top of the Engine Performance forum.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: BOV question

Originally posted by dj villain
    what are the advantages and disadvantages of getting an aftermarket BOV? and if i get one...do i just put it on and go...or are there other things i need to do? i'm new to subarus...so please help. i need all the info i can get..thanks also..how hard are they to put on?
    Biggest advantage for installing an aftermarket BOV is that typically, aftermarket units have a stiffer spring to hold the valve tightly to prevent leakage at high boost level, secondly some aftermarket BOV are adjustable (via turning of a nob or swapping out the valve springs) so you can dial down the exact pressure when the BOV should vent. Depending on the types and manufacturer of BOV, installation is typically very straight forward.

Disadvantage - see MawviN comment.

Stock CBV (compressor bypass valve) is actually a very decent unit and it only experiences minimal leakage at around 16 psi or so. I would not recommand BOV as your first mod since aftermarket BOV does not provide any real hp gain.
    :the quest to be a better driver
    ::the relentless search for untamed twisties

RFL type H bov

who has one of these? i was considering purchasing one and curious to how loud they are and if the cause idling problems and such. I heard they were loud, but just curious if its annoying or not for a daily driver.

Eli- i know you got one, what do you think?
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I have one but I took it off because it got too annoying. Its kindof cool for a week or so but then it just gets old.

It is very very loud.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

Corey, you have the RFL exhaust. So the sound shouldnt bother you too much. Shifting is slightly less smooth with it, but no idel problems or loss of power or anything. I absolutely love it. Im not sure how long ive had it on, but im not sick of it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

If you are worried about volume, why would you go for the RFL model? IMO, you should go with Forge or GFB.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

i had the gfb and got sick of it. Now im starting to miss the pssssssshhhhhhhh sound. Eli- what is the lowest rpm it blows off at? I normally shift at 2800 when regular driving. Will it blow off at that low of rpm?
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Why did you get sick of it? What about Forge?

i got sick of it blowing off every shift in 100% atmosphere mode. But im starting to miss the sound. Maybe just the type h bov (not rfl) would be better for me...
    Last edited by BoostedBoxer; 10-17-2003 at 10:26 PM.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

Originally posted by BoostedBoxer
    i got sick of it blowing off every shift in 100% atmosphere mode. But im starting to miss the sound. Maybe just the RFL bov (not type h) would be better for me...

You can use washers to control how often it blows off. And a quick clarification on the txs bovs:

Type H- standard bov
    Type H RFL - loudest

There isnt a Turboxs Type RFL bov. You probably knew that but figure id point it out for others.

Peter North > *

whoops, i got them backwards. Its adjustable like that? I am sold as of now. Now to order my stoptech's, and my TXS intake and BOV.
    How does the adapter work? Does it bolt on, or does it need to be welded?
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

whoops, i got them backwards. Its adjustable like that? I am sold as of now. Now to order my stoptech's, and my TXS intake and BOV.
    How does the adapter work? Does it bolt on, or does it need to be welded?

Its not really adjustable but the washers make the piston harder to move, so if you shift low it really makes no noise, makes less/more noise according to throttle/rpm.

Its a complete bolt on, like a 5 minute install FOR ME which means it should take like 2 seconds for you. ill see if i have any pics up close for ya.

Peter North > *

there, normally they are turned to the side though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture 806.jpg  

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t
    ill see if i have any pics up close for ya.
    Cool thanks Eli, You are a great guy. I dont care what Fahd says about your Fashion sense......... (j/k)
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

Cool thanks Eli, You are a great guy. I dont care what Fahd says about your Fashion sense......... (j/k)

Fahd has a problem with my fashion because I wear male clothing, as opposed to his infatuation...

Peter North > *