"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 163

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Take ALL your aftermarket parts off your WRX and use em on the STi. It will save you big $$$$...

Take ALL your aftermarket parts off your WRX and use em on the STi. It will save you big $$$$
    Mods: Turbo XS-RFL-TI Turbo back with Race pipe, RFL-BOV, APS DR500 Front Mount Intercooler, Blitz SUS Short Ram, Greddy E-01 & E-manage, Defi 3 Pod w/Defi gauges, Wide band O2 unit, Greddy Oil catch can, G-TEC, Grounding kit, Optima 51R Yellow top battery, Tein Springs, F&R Strut tower bars with rear V-brace, Clear headlights mod, WRB with Go Fast Cobra Racing Stripes w/matching white rims.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok, we're missing the point of this thread. ill repeat the fact that i understand why it is not recommended that we put BOV's on our cars. but people do it anyway. so, if we're going to do it anyway, what im tryin to discuss is whether turning our stock BOV into 100% atmosphere 1) will work, and 2) how to properly do it. i would think this would be the lesser of two evils. since we're keeping our holier then thou stock units, but makin the noisemakers temporarily when we want to enjoy the sound. theres plenty of threads to post to about whether or not BOV's are bad, so if you want to argue about that, then do a search and have at it. im talkin about the stocker specifically.
    03, wrx, aspen white, K&N drop in filter, for now waitin for warranty to go bye bye.

I actaully did this the other day. It really was pretty pointless because not only did the car feel like junk after every shift and everytime you let off the gas, but the sound was so quiet it was almost inaudible.

Just stick w/the stock valve. Ive taken my HKS on and off several times b/c the sound is cool, but once I drive the car I ask myself, "What are you doing!?" and end up putting it back to stock. Im only holding on to it since im upgrading turbos.
    I created my avatar.

Kurlee,

Sorry I didn't see your PM until just now.

Anyhow, I can't say that I had any drivability problems with the Stock BOV with the St4, but that might have been because I had a hard time in figuring out my boost with the UTEC for the longest time, so I probably never boosted over 14lbs. Bottom line, even though I was a st4, the stock BOV never had to deal with high boost.

Why did I swap it for a TXS type H, then? I was having that 'after-shift' knock problem that I discussed with you before in your post, I Am Not Happy With My Stage 4 Times . I heard that a venting BOV caused richness, and I was trying anything to cure my problem. Problem is solved and I attribute it to the aftermarket BOV.

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    It should not stutter; that would indicate it is sticking shut. If that were the case, it would not have a horrible time respooling. It would sound like chipmunks under the hood if the turbo was backspinning badly. I would suspect you have a leak or the BOV is stuck open perhaps. Does it feel like it is not as powerful? Take the BOV off and inspect it to make sure it isn't sticking anywhere.

Mark
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

Alot of people have the HKS on and don't have any problems. The reason the car runs like crap is because the stock bypass valve, bleeds a little at idle, and the spring rate is different from aftermark BOV's. The HKS, I hear, does not bleed off at idle.
    -1986 RX-7 GXL
    -2002 Blue WRX Wagon (given up)
    -2001 Prelude, (sold)
    -1989 Accord, (sold)
    -1984 Dodge RamCharger (Sold)

I'm betting no has yet to try the crush method on the stock WRX BOV/Bypass Valve. You might end up being the first and actually get what your asking for. I still doubt you can get the sound from a stock unit to that from a aftermarket BOV. The two are engineered different.

-alex

what do you mean crush method?? i guess the outlet isnt designed for sound like the aftermarket ones are, so yeh it probably wouldnt be as loud or distinct. i dont even know which one to remove. the lil tube on the side, or the bigger one at the bottom that i cant really reach all that well.
    03, wrx, aspen white, K&N drop in filter, for now waitin for warranty to go bye bye.

i hope you arent looking for more power... if so a blow-off valve does nothing.
    1967 Camaro
    2002 WRX SOLD

Not really looking for more power, but just some turbo let off, I recently did the 3/16 vacuum tube restrictor mod, so now I'm looking to relieve the little bit of stress on the turbo with something better than the stock BOV. And also, how would I go about doing the BOV silencer hack? Any info would be great, thanks guys
    ~SaNChEz

Originally posted by WRXin'
    HKS!!!

I love my BOV. Here's a vid clip that I've posted elsewhere. It'll give you an idea of how it sounds. Check it out!
    LOL, I just saw a link and dled it without reading the actual post and I'm watching it and I was like there is NO way thats not an HKS...oops
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

HKS ALL THE WAY!!!
    Justin
    2003 Sonic Yellow
    NOT STOCK ANYMORE!!

the stock BOV is perfectly fine but if u want the sound then i guess change it, anyway another really good BOV is TIAL

BOV question

what are the advantages and disadvantages of getting an aftermarket BOV? and if i get one...do i just put it on and go...or are there other things i need to do? i'm new to subarus...so please help. i need all the info i can get..thanks also..how hard are they to put on?

There isnt any advantages of putting on a bov until you boosting over about 22psi.

The only disadvantage is running a bit rich between shifts. Some people ignore it and run it anyway, but i dont think it affects it too much.

If you were to get a BOV try the 50/50 bov, so at least you are recirculating some of the air.
    04' JBP WRX Sedan