"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 161
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey happasaiyan I was looking at the Worx tuning BOV and really like the way it works, and it seems ...

Hey happasaiyan

I was looking at the Worx tuning BOV and really like the way it works, and it seems like one of the best working BOV's available. I just would like to know how it sounds, because on their site the sound file is recorded like Inside the engine bay so it sounds really weird. Is it loud? Does it blow off everytime you let off the throttle no matter what boost you are at? Thanks!
    2003 Sedona Red WRX SOLD THIS WEEK
    Soon getting S10 ZR2 4x4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had the worxtuning dual stage BOV for about a month now. I have not experienced the fluttering sound, and I'm pretty alert to different noise changes, so if it was happening, I think I would hear it. Not to say it can't happen, but not on mine so far.

As for the sound, I like it a lot. It is not loud, but it is noticeable as a BOV. I think of it as a more moderated, mature sound, not so much "look at me", but still loud enough to inform others that "yeah...I'm boosted". I know...mature and STi don't normally belong in the same sentence.

I think the biggest difference when comparing it to others is that it is a multiple orifice outlet, so there are actually some different tones involved. In fact, this may be what happasaiyan might be hearing. It does seem a little bit more prolonged than others also, but then, I've not had a lot of listening time with others, other than in caravans listening to those in front or behind me.

With the factory settings, initially I had to be around 10 PSI when letting off the throttle before hearing the relief lifting. It now relieves at around 7 to 9 PSI, with the loudest sound at full boost of course.

I believe the installation/care instructions state something to the effect that you need to allow for break in time before the valve is fully relieving, and then add some lubrication.

I'm pleased with it to date, plus it's hard to beat it's looks.

Wish I could help you more with the fluttering sound man. Have you taken the top off and looked and the valve seats by chance? Maybe you got something in there that causes a slight offset when the valve tries to seat itself? Just a thought, but probably not likely as the valve stem holds it in the horizontal position pretty good.

Good luck!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

WRX vs STI - BOV and Intake

I looked at a STI the other day and I was wondering if I sold my 2002 WRX if I could take off my HKS BOV and my blitz SUS intake and transfer them over to the STI. I looked at the engine bay of the STI for only a couple seconds, but it looked like the intake and BOV flange were exactly the same, like I could just use the ones off my current WRX. The dealer said that WRX parts are not interchangable with STI ones, which I can see for the most part but these looked like they would transfer. I did a search and didn't find this info. I just figured this would save me some money for a new more expensive purchase "STI". Thanks for any info.

Adam

yes, they will both fit...and will both work better on the STi.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

They will work fine. See my sig
    04 STI
    FPGreen

silversti,

WHich greddy catback do you have? Is it loud on your Sti? I was thinkin on getting one..
    2004WRB Sti
    2002CBR F4i
    95Legacy Lsi

I have the EVO cat back. It sounds better than stock, but is not too loud. Does not call unwanted attention and you can still hear the radio/carry on a conversation.
    04 STI
    FPGreen

Thanks guys, that saves me some $$$ which is good

Adam

hey silversti,

YOu have pic of your greddy Evo on your car?
    2004WRB Sti
    2002CBR F4i
    95Legacy Lsi

I Support ClubWRX

Will a BOV with a TXS Stage4 Kit Ride Rough?

Ever since I have installed my TXS Stage 4 kit, I have not heard my stock BOV release any air whatsoever. If you have been following my threads, I recently went to the track this last Wednesday and ran a 13.7 for my best time

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=39588

This could be one of my problems with this. The BOV may not be releasing enough pressure, and causes the compressor to surge backwards? Just a thought.

On my way home today from work, I rolled up the windows, I drove on the side of a divider, and listened as closely as possible for my stock BOV to go off, and I didn't hear it. It might have kicked the bucket.

I have already had 2 BOV's(GFB and Forge) on my car, but only when I was running the TXS Stage 2 kit, with stock intercooler and turbo. The engine ran rough and stuttered with the aftermarket BOV's in place. I now have my Stage 4 kit in place.

My question for you all is would running a TXS Hyperflow TMIC ver.1 and a VF22 have any effect on a BOV running better on my car. Since the stock turbo had to struggle to keep up with the aftermarket BOV, would a VF22 fair better with a aftermarket BOV since it pushes more air, and the Hyperflow TMIC can store much more air?

What do you guys think? Those of you with a Stage 4 kit and an aftermarket BOV. Does your car run any better with an aftermarket BOV and the larger turbo?
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 10-10-2003 at 07:02 PM.

I talked to Garret from World One Performance and he said that they don't have change anything on the maps for a bov.

Peace,
    Silva

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SilvaWRX
    I talked to Garret from World One Performance and he said that they don't have change anything on the maps for a bov.

Peace,
    Silva
    Sorry, I think you mis-understood my question. I am asking if an aftermarket BOV with a Stage 4 kit will run smooth. I know from past experiences with my stock turbo and stock intercooler, that after the aftermarket BOV releases pressure, the tiny stock turbo has to work hard to fill the intercooler once again before building up pressure, since the stock turbo only pushes a small amount of air, so the car runs rough. But my question is if I use an aftermarket BOV with a larger turbo(VF22), which pushes a lot more air than the tiny stock turbo, and a larger core TMIC(Hyperflow Version 1), which holds more air than the small stock TMIC, will I still have the problem of the car running rough after the aftermarket BOV has released pressure?
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 10-11-2003 at 11:41 AM.

I have an APS BOV and my car runs smoother than stock.

I wouldnt get an RFL if you're looking for smooth though, I had one before my car would leap forward every time I shifted.

First:
    congrats on the new mods. Next, I have never run an aftermarket bov with the stock setup. When I upgradded the turbo and stuff, I went with a Forge 100% bov. I have never (knock on wood) had a problem with it. I had heard some people talk about a stumble with a 100% setup. I as well as others around here haven't had this happen. If you're worried, you could try a 50/50. "IF" your stock bov has gone bad, I would go will an aftermarket one like the forge. It wouldn't improve over a stock one, but they sound awesome. I love mine.

Ronin

Do you want to hear your bov or are you just thinking your stock bypass isn't working up to par?

Cause you can upgrade to a better bypass valve that doesn't have the problems of venting to atmosphere.

I have an HKS SSQV bov and can't notice a difference between running 100% atmosphere or 100% recirculating...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.