"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 160

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; anyone know if we can use the HKS Racing BOV Type II, or does anyone have one?...

HKS Racing BOV Type II..?

anyone know if we can use the HKS Racing BOV Type II, or does anyone have one?
    Last edited by XxScoobYxX; 10-07-2003 at 07:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like wastegate flutter to me...I wouldn't worry about it(after setting the bov).

i believe wastegate flutter ususally occurs when you are building boost.

happasaiyan mentioned that he is getting the sound when he releases the throttle. this is usually compressor surge as mentioned in the link thread that i posted above.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

"i believe wastegate flutter ususally occurs when you are building boost."

this is incorrect. the wastegate stays closed while building boost, or the turbo would not build boost. The wastegate opens when the pressure in the vacume line going to the wastegate solenoid gets to a certain point. If you take your foot off the gas with pressure(let's say above 4psi) the ecu will want to lower boost all the way. So the bcs closes and the wastegate opens and closes......this is wastegate flutter. It also happens when the boost peaks and the wastegate has to control the boost. I am not saying that his problem isn't compressor surge, I just don't think it is. I think he just hears the wastegate....

peace

i hear ya.

let's wait for a wastegate expert to come along and settle this
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

Originally posted by hippy78
    this is incorrect. the wastegate stays closed while building boost, or the turbo would not build boost.
    The wastegate opens around 9psi, so it opens while building boost. Just not immediately.

"The wastegate opens around 9psi, so it opens while building boost. Just not immediately."

This is not true either(from what I know). I mean certain wastegate actuators open at certain pressures, but depending on the setup, you can be running 17psi without the wastegate being open at all. It all depends on how you tune your car. Ony my car, I can tell when the wastegate opens, and it DOES NOT open anywhere b4 10psi unless I take my foot off the gas.

peace

its not the wastegate. i know what my wastegate flutter sounds like, and this is not it. you will only hear the wastegate fluttering as your foot is on the throttle, and like wrc_obsessed said, its only when i lift my foot off the throttle. it is being caused by the bov, as i have learned from worx themselves. they said its just a distinct sound that their bov makes. might change as it gets broken in...i guess well just see.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

Hippy, I don't know where you are getting your information. The wastegate is partially open at around 7-9psi in a stock (FBC) setup, this has been known and documented for a long time.

APS BOV Adjustment

Anyone know where I can find paperwork, or any kind of info on how, to adjust my APS blow off valve? I checked thier website and couldn't find anyting there. Hope someone can help with this, because I believe it is the cause of my turbo problems.

Thanks

"you will only hear the wastegate fluttering as your foot is on the throttle, and like wrc_obsessed said, its only when i lift my foot off the throttle."

so you're sayin that if you are at 9psi of boost, and you take your foot off the gas, the wastegate won't open? Also, like I said, depending on the setup, you can make it so the wastegate doesn't open til 30psi if you want.... whatever though.

peace

To adjust it, loosen the 14mm nut on the top and adjust the little screw on the top. It wont become that much louder.

I am not looking for it to be louder, i am having a problem with my boosting. This is the only after market thing I can find on my car. I was told that adjusting it may help with the problem.

Problem: Just say 40mph 2nd gear... I floor it. The boost gauge will go to about .12 bar, drop down to maybe .07 bar then back up to about .11. Basically until it levels off, but it causes power surging that's really annoying. Is that normal?

Turn it all the way to the right (the screw) and see what happens.

Hippy:

The wastegate doesn't open AT ALL when you lift off the throttle. The ECU doesn't try to release boost by opening the wastegate. The car tries to release boost pressure during shifts while maintaining the spool of the turbo so you can get back on boost as soon as possible when you depress the accelerator after the shift. If you opened the wastegate during a shift, you'd have to rebuild all the momentum of the turbine all over again. It is the BOV that releases the boost pressure to avoid compressor stall and potential turbo damage. The wastegate remains closed to keep the turbo spinning.

Also, the stock wastegate opens at around 8psi. That's not to say that you can't change it. A stiffer wastegate spring will keep the gate closed until 15psi, or 17psi, or 30 psi. A boost controller can prevent the wastegate from opening at all.

Please do a bit more reading. I don't like cleaning up after your misinformation.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein