"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 16
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 790 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; WRXrumble you have yours set at 16psi in 3rd gear now does this cause it to pull timing since you ...

WRXrumble

you have yours set at 16psi in 3rd gear now does this cause it to pull timing since you would be well above 17 in 5th? (I understand that you have highway/track settings) I'm asking cuz I have a duel stage and if I can do the same thing without pulling timing and getting high EGT/knock (which I only have a boost gauge) what's you best 1/4 mile with it? is this your only mod? if not what else do you have done?

sorry for so many questions
    but I need to know to meet my short term goal of 13's

thanks Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You probably seen my other post, I never race passed 4th gear on
    the highway and 60 on local street. 2 many pts already so no crazy
    racing on the streets (got it from the Talon TSI)

I like going to autox and maybe Limerock if things works out. At the
    race I will drop the boost down to 15 or so. So far the car is not
    setup yet, gonna go with sway bars, shocks, spring most of all tires.
    Guess it will be in D mod class (I might have to remove the MBC no
    big deal).
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Air conditioning and BOV

Has anyone noticed that when the A/C is on the BOV sounds really wimpy, and different from having no A/C on, or is this just me???
    "They came they saw they lost"

02 Plat WRX:
    AutoMeter Boost Guage
    HKS SSQ bov
    Joe P MBC
    Blitz SUS Intake
    TurboXS Unichip on the way....

I have the stock BOV so I don't usually hear anything anyway, but I will say I notice a different exhaust tone (or is it the engine?) when I have the A/C on and I gun it up to redline. Kind of get's a more aggressive, louder tone.

WRXrumble

I'm not talking about street racing, it's illegal and theirs to many dumb drivers out their. I'm just curious as to if you were pulling timing at that psi in the lower gears. (with it factory set to have lower boost per gearing)

thanks,
    Mike

Which TXS bov do you have? If it is the type-h then I will try it today and let you know.

Tas, you are correct from everything that I have been told. The only way to lose power is if the bov is venting excessive amounts of pressure.

Opinions of the Forge BOV

I'm considering the Forge BOV, I think that it has a very refined look to it and it sounds good also. Does anyone have one of these? Please give me your feedback.

I've done the "search" feature and did not find much info.
    Last edited by Flyboy; 04-19-2002 at 12:03 PM.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

I have had the Forge 100% vent to atmosphere for about four months. It seems to be a very well made piece and is also good looking too. For my taste it is not quite loud enough. If you are buying an aftermarket BOV to be noticed or to intimidate the competition this may not be the best choice. Like many other BOVs it tends to flutter some at partial boost. Most of this went away after I got an MBC but it still does it a little.

Dale

I got the type-h.
    "They came they saw they lost"

02 Plat WRX:
    AutoMeter Boost Guage
    HKS SSQ bov
    Joe P MBC
    Blitz SUS Intake
    TurboXS Unichip on the way....

Installed GFB blow-off valve

Just thought I'd put this up here in case anyone else is thinking about it. I got the kit from my dealer for $200. I know you can get them for a bit less online, but I wanted it that day, and I wanted to develop a bit of a relationship with the service shop, so I guess it was worth the extra $10 or so. They carry ALL the BOV's with the appropriate flanges already welded on, and told me that performance-wise, this was the valve to get. Its not the loudest, and its not the best-sounding, but if you're looking for actual improvements the GFB hybrid made specifically for the WRX is the one to get. Besides the GFB sends air back to your intake like the system was designed to do in the first place. So I looked longingly at the Blitz and HKS valves for a few minutes, sighed, and got the GFB.

The install itself took about 15 minutes. VERY easy. Just follow the directions. They're VERY GOOD...no pictures though for fans of Denny's "point-n-grunt" menus. The two annoying things that I found durring the install is 1) The allen wrench that comes with the kit to remove allen bolts from the cover plate to the air return was the WRONG SIZE!!!! Come on people...how hard can it be???. At any rate, if you don't have a set of allen wrenches you should probably re-consider installing this yourself. 2) They don't really warn you that the vaccum tube needs to come around the OTHER side of the valve or the valve will pinch it against the manifold when you bolt everything back in place...so you have to do this BEFORE you bolt the valve back on to the intercooler. Also, you'll have to cut a plastic tie that holds the vaccum tube to get enough slack for this.

How's it work? Well the dealer was right...it doesn't sound great. The whoosh sound is relatively short and not very loud. Sometimes there's no whoosh at all, and at high speeds, it gets lost in the wind noise, although at full boost it does sound pretty cool. My girlfriend says it sounds like a fart. I'm actually happy with the quietness of the valve, I'm not an attention *****...so much for the sound....now for the real reason I put the thing on - the performance.

HOLY CRAP! The BOV is the only thing I got on there right now and boy did it make a difference. Most noticably, in the 1st-2nd gear shift and 2nd to 3rd gear shift, about 60% or more of the lag is gone!!! To be quite honest, when I got the WRX it didn't feel like a 5.4 second car to me....it was great once the turbo kicked in, but it just seemed to take for ever....especially in that 1st to 2nd shift...but now it really does feel like it could do 0-60 in 5.4....guess I'll find out when I get my accelerometer/turbo-timer

The verdict: If you're not buying the BOV for cool sounds, its great. If you are buying it to make people's heads turn, you'll be disppointed. The sound is neither loud or particularly cool, and since it only opens when it will help performance, it doesn't do it EVERY time you take your foot off the gas.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the GFB

I just got a GFB and its great. You can install it either as 100% atmos, or 50/50. I did 50/50. Cuts A LOT of turbo lag, and causes NO change in milage/boost pressure/power or anything else. If you're getting it to cut lag get a 50/50 if you're getting it for cool noises get a 100% atmosphere vent. (I heard venting 100% to atmosphere will screw up your idle and also run rich when you take your foot of the gas which can cause all sorts of problems like poor idle, stalling, and dumping too much gas into your motor which then ignites in your exhaust and burns out your cat. Don't know if this happens on WRX's but better to just avoid all that and get the 50/50.

Originally posted by WRXrumble
    So far you have connected correctly. The hose you just plugged
    will go to the normallly open end, add a small hose from the
    solenoid (center outlet) and connect that to the wastegate. The MBC
    connects to the normally closed end ( the one that is air tight when no
    power is applied, test the solenoid and you will see what I mean).
    Now wire the solenoid and you are all set.

I am now going to add a NOS trigger to the throttle body to switch
    the solenoid on after 3/4 throttle (just like a NOS setup ).

This way the toggle will be used as a velet switch hehhe

Btw I found running MBC with half throttle/full boost condition is
    totaly bad in NJ rush horr traffic, so I decided to add the solenoid.
    Now I can drive normal in rush hour traffic and not worry

Have fun and email me if you need more info.
    Dawes device ordered....take 2 weeks to get to Australia so once here I will install....thanks for the info....might need to check back with you if i encounter probs.

Cheers
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Originally posted by dub976
    WRXrumble

I'm not talking about street racing, it's illegal and theirs to many dumb drivers out their. I'm just curious as to if you were pulling timing at that psi in the lower gears. (with it factory set to have lower boost per gearing)

thanks,
    Mike
    So far I didn't feel any timing being pulled. Car is fast (never fast enough).

One thing for sure when you switch from FBC to EBC the difference
    is amusing. I know since I only use the MBC at night and I do floor
    the car during the day, the WOT feel is night and day. Can't wait till
    I get the Godspeed uppie next month

Btw since the weather changed from like 60 to 90, the boost is now
    like 15.5 or less. I am leaving it there.

I am so happy with the setup, I am doing it on my brother's auto
    rex next week. He said I want that thing what ever it is after he
    test drove mine hahahha. I am the car guy, he just drives fast
    heheheh

Originally posted by michaelwrx

Dawes device ordered....take 2 weeks to get to Australia so once here I will install....thanks for the info....might need to check back with you if i encounter probs.

Cheers
    Any time buddy

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.