"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 158

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Damn your car is sweet!!!! Do you have any sound clips and you think it would be good for the ...

Damn your car is sweet!!!! Do you have any sound clips and you think it would be good for the blitz?

Silva

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I dont have any sound clips. I have not run boost on it yet. They sound nice though. They are one of the largest flowing BOV's there is. I used to have the blitz front mount with a greddy type-s. I personally like how the tial looks, and flows.

God
    Tial BOV is amazing. We are talking to Tial about making a custom flange for it to fit on the WRX. FOr the Blitz FMIC you just need the BOV and flange. Just weld flange onto piping and voila.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

sounds like his was damaged as that is not a normal condition on the stock BOV to my knowledge.. Maybe I'll perform a little soap water test on mine to see if I can catch it leaking anywhere at all...
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

that BOV is amazing and sounds wicked

bov...blown turbo?

right now im running a utec stage 1 that i have set to 16.1 psi (recommended for stage 1), but i still feel kinda sketchy cuz my uppipe cat is still in there. and with boost turned up, the cat could fly into my turbo. well i wont be able to get an sti uppipe for a while, for some reasons which are not important to this thread. But someone might be selling me a turboxs type H bov for cheap, and i realllly like the sound (i know it doesnt do anything for performance, even loses some maybe, i dont care, i like the sound!) i know bovs make your car run rich, so will this make the issue of my uppipe cat even worse? (will it increase the chance of my uppipe cat burning up and flying into my turbo, destroying it). Thanks in advance.

Anytime you turn up the boost, BOV or not, you run a higher risk of breaking up that cat. As for with the BOV, I'm certain that it'll screw up your two cats after the turbo from repeated after-fire, but I'm not sure how the uppipe cat is affected by it.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

ok thanks, anyone know if it will affect my uppipe cat?

wait would there actually be a higher risk if i turned up the boost. im a stage 1 on the utec, meaning theres also more fuel and other things, which reduce egts. ??

Disclaimer "don't listen to anything i say, this is just the dumb stuff i did to my wrx"

TXS is usually very very conservative. I don't think they'd tell you to turn the boost up to 16.1 psi w/o having tested it for a while. I'm sure the extra fuel from a 100% atm bov will damage your cats eventually but I don't think thats something to worry about right now.

I ran 17 psi on my stock turbo stock ic w/stg2 map and turbo back no uppipe for 2 months i guess before i got txs uppipe put in. My stock turbo didn't show any signs of damage I have it laying on my desk here if u you wanna take a look at it .. maybe it did get hurt but i can't tell.

Also the 17psi didn't help much i got as good or better 1320 times at lower boost. Turbo effic.. problems i think..

I ran a 100% atm blitz SS bov with an AEM CAI for maybe 6 to 12 months before i got the uppipe replaced. I beat on the car hard too. I think if u did this for 3 years or something it might eventually break up a big enuff piece to hurt the turbine.

Hope it helps

Bill

Stock WRX BOV's are recirculating. A fully atmospheric BOV will mess up the way your MAF sensor reads, causing the engine to run too lean or rich. The BOV will release the air, but the MAF thinks that it is still in the system. Speak to COBB on this one. They recommend a 50/50 BOV if any...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

it makes your engine run rich. but, based on that article, i dont understand why its such common knowledge that a BOV will help to extend the life of a turbo? is there any relivance (sp?) to this, or is it just urban legend? i suppose i can deal with running slightly rich, if it means my turbo will last longer. its like a nice lil benefit, kinda like th noise it makes.
    03, wrx, aspen white, K&N drop in filter, for now waitin for warranty to go bye bye.

God
    Well reciculation is actually done to keep car quiet, and for the MAF not to read too rich between shifts (emmissions). It really does NOT help with turbo response to any noticable degree since it is a relatively tiny amount of air. Now in terms of atmospheric BOV's, on the larger setups it is recommended since they will respond faster and be able to handle larger amounts of pressure. I never recommend 50/50 valves since they do not function as they claim. The air will always go to the path of least resistance which is the atmosphere so in essence they aren't really 50/50 despite the manufacturer claim. That being said unless you're pushing 19 PSI+ on a bigger turbo, it is not necessary to change but once you do it becomes essential that you change.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

thanks bill, anyone else have anything to say?

There is a thread somewhere that says that if you run over 16.5lbs of boost on the stock turbo, the ecu retards the timing. That is why your most likely running a slower 1/4 mile. Most people with stock turbos, like me, don't run over 16lbs just to keep things safe. I'm not gonna believe in the upipe cat deteriorating theory. I believe that there is not enough boost presure from a stock turbo to pull the material off the pre-cat, otherwise subaru would have turbo failures everywhere.

A blow off valve will not give you any performance gains. If your going to worry about running rich sell the BOV and save up for a fuel management system like Apexi S-AFC.

-alex