"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 157
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; if it is half recirculative and half atmospheric woud i run rich still? and would i still get the pshhh ...

if it is half recirculative and half atmospheric woud i run rich still? and would i still get the pshhh sound? and what bov maker makes 50/50. sorry for so many questions.
    jdm rules!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by sanee515
    if it is half recirculative and half atmospheric woud i run rich still? and would i still get the pshhh sound? and what bov maker makes 50/50. sorry for so many questions.
    Yes to both.

Um Greddy, APS, Forge, etc do a search.

is there any bov out there that wont casue u to run rich and also have the psshh sound? if so shat brand of bov does that? or if all bov causes u to run rich, then which bov make u run rich the least?
    jdm rules!!

I don't think you are asking the right question. Since 100% atmospheric BOV is located downstream of the MAF, the ECU has already determined the amount of fuel to mix in with the intake air, so if you vent some of it back to the atmosphere the ECU won't know how to account for the volume of air lost so you will run rich, so that's why some therefore some people don't recommand 100% atmoshpheric BOV at all. But some people want that psssh sound more than anything so they are willing to sarcifice by running a little rich.

by the way, welcome to the board and there are min. (next to none) gain by running cat back exhaust.
    :the quest to be a better driver
    ::the relentless search for untamed twisties

so no way of getting pshh sound without running rich? and does runin rich effect mpg? or result in carbon buildup?
    jdm rules!!

Running Rich will hurt the Mpg...I bought my WRX and ran if for a week stock...then I got the HKS SSQ (100% vent) because I really like the sound and was willing to make some sacrifices(sp.). Before the HKS I was getting close to 300 mpg if not more but now I my highest on one tank has been 250 mpg but the average has to be about 220mpg. Running Rich = More fuel being put out = Less miles per gallon. Luckily I dont backfire...yet...

BTW: I heard, (Someone correct me if im wrong) that once you free up your exhaust and take out the intake silencer, since you have increased flow...the stock bov will have some sound to it but not as load as a 100% atomosphere vent BOV will be.
    Last edited by JrG18m; 09-29-2003 at 12:34 PM.
    Justin
    2003 Sonic Yellow
    NOT STOCK ANYMORE!!

btw stock wrx doesn't have a true BOV, it's a CBV (compressor bypass valve) which works similarly to a recirculating BOV.

like i said before, running rich is not the end of the world, but in really BAD case, it can cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle and could eventually foul spark plugs and even clog the catalytic converter.

if it is the sound you are after, by all means get a BOV, a lot of people on here have BOV installed so you could get some testimonial from them. getting a aftermarket BOV can be a good thing too since it tends to have a stiff valve spring so it holds boost better if you want to look at it that way.

"BOV yields no performance gains."

This is not true in my opinion. Aftermarket bov's don't leak as much as the stock bov, expecially under boost. This means that the turbo works less with a bov that holds all the air in, and there will be more horsepower because the turbo will be working more efficiently. I know someone who got his car dyno tuned with the stock bypass valve, then put on a bov and got 10 more hp up top because it held the air in better.......

peace

what do you mean by the turbo has to work less... therefore more efficient? I'm not sure I follow.
    Last edited by Imprezaboy; 09-29-2003 at 01:44 PM.

you could record a whoosh sound to cd and play it real loud if that's all your after.

and hippy.. I have never once to date seen any evidence of the stock BOV leaking on a stock or near stock car.. it is often considered the best performance option up to around 19psi which is where the leaks in the stock BOV occur as it can no longer hold the boost.

I also assume the example your referring to was the TXS case where they were dynoing someone's 18G... the BOV made a substantial difference because they were tuning at 22PSI... this is not a stock situation here nad should not be presented as one. Please don't post misinformation.

manypoeple who run BOV's on stock cars complain of hesitiation.. yet many still run ok... noone seems to ever claim of any benefit other than the "whoosh sound" because there is none.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

In my opinion, you want a hybrid BOV. One that has the ability to vent at least 50% of the air back into the system, while still giving you the noise. This pretty much eliminates the issues of running a 100% venting valve. I am running the GoFastBits hybrid valve and I have no complaints. If I were buying a BOV today, I'd buy the Worx tuning valve which is 5-way adjustable and can run hybrid as well. To my knowledge, there are only 3 BOVs that run in hybrid mode: GoFastBits (GFB) www.gofastbits.com, APS www.aps-wrx.com and Worx www.worxtuning.com
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

I almsot forgot... sanee.. please do a search next time.. as this is one of the topics that is so done to death it's just gotten a bit annoying for many of the long time members here.. and to save you the trouble if your thinking of an intake do the search on that too.. as the intake and BOV are easily the most common new post from people coming to the WRX... especially if they came from a honda.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I mean this by the turbo has to work less. Imagine you're pushin your car at 15psi of boost, and the stock turbo is already workin really hard. Let's say it's pumpin out 300cubic feet of air a minute(hypothetical) to get 15psi of boost at a certain rpm. If the bov isn't holding all the air in, the wastegate stays closed till the turbo hits the boost pressure you want. This results in the turbo having to pump more cubic feet of air to make the same boost pressure. In turn, the turbo becomes less efficient resulting in less power...

If the intake system holds all the air in when it should, the turbo works optimally. This makes for cooler intake manifold temps, and a turbo that doesn't work as hard. I know people who put their car on a dyno with the stock bypass valve, and it leaked boost very early. I am not saying that a bov is the best mod in the world, but it should increase the cars performance, the life of the turbocharger and the life of the engine.......even if the difference is only miniscule. I am not talking about some random person, I was sitting next to the dyno when my friends bypass valve was leaking. It happened b4 he hit full boost all the way to red line. It didn't let all the air out or anything, but the stock valve doesn't make the same kind of seal as other valves(from what I have seen).... Course that was the only time I actually got to watch a stock bypass valve perform on a dyno.

peace
    Last edited by hippy78; 09-29-2003 at 03:31 PM.

Tial BOV??

Hello everybody,
    Does anybody have information on this bov? I have a Blitz fmic and I need a bov. Also does anybody know where to get one. Thanks in advance.

Silva

I have one on my set up. The are 50 mm and are very very nice. I can get you a brand new one with an aluminum adapter .This is the one on my car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bov.jpg  
    Last edited by STEALTH-WRX; 09-30-2003 at 12:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.