"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 156
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; nm i see what it is, but would i have to re map ecu with boost controller to operate safely? ...

nm i see what it is, but would i have to re map ecu with boost controller to operate safely? etc..what performance diff will I see with a diff up/down pipe?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you ARE planning on upgrading your turbo, don't bother with a boost controller, just save your money for some sort of engine management later. If you DON'T plan on upgrading the turbo, then boost controller is fine. You will not have to remap anything. Just don't set it too high, maybe 15.5psi at the most.

A catless uppipe and downpipe will give some pretty big hp gains. Im not sure what the exact numbers are but i believe it too be 40-50 crank hp. You will get faster spool of the turbo and better top end. In my opinion, go with an uppipe first, followed by downpipe then some sort of catback(HKS, Greddy are my preferred choices) You don't want to put a Boost Controller until you change the uppipe. If you raise boost, it will melt the cat on the uppipe and shoot pieces of the cat in your turbo which is bad.

If im wrong in anyway here, please someone correct me.
    Hope this helps

adam
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

ITs an HKS SSQ BOV

Final Answer...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WORLD ONE PERFORMANCE
    Phone: 253.336.5449
    AIM: WorldOneArmin
    World One Performance Blog | Customer/Employee Gallery
    Building Award-Winning Subarus since 2002, with the track record to prove it.

Originally posted by WorldONE
    ITs an HKS SSQ BOV

Final Answer...
    THANK-YOU.

Now do you believe me?

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ummmmm yeah it's an HKS...not that it was already confirmed by my two NW bretheren already
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I stand corrected. I apoligize to all that I have offended.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

BOV the same?

I was just wondering if the STi and the "plain" WRX use the same BOV. My girl saw an STi the other day and said it had more whistle to it. I dismissed it as aftermarket, but while I was standing on the dealers lot waiting for warranty work, I heard an STi go by. It too had a destinct whistle to it.
    Also, will the STi BOV fit on my EJ20? Hmmmmm...

mike
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

They are NOT the same internally. The STi BOV holds more boost. The fitment is the same, however.

-Jim

Thanks Jim. So theoretically it will fit? Not that i'm going to be replacing it anytime soon, I was curious about the sound.

How's scenic Runnemede?

mike
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

Fitment is the same as normal WRX. Also if you listen REALLY closely you can hear it, even though it's recirculating. I heard that if you swap stuff like the intake you can hear them more clearly too. It's also an easy swap, so aftermarket BOVs should be common...

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Originally posted by the mike
    Thanks Jim. So theoretically it will fit? Not that i'm going to be replacing it anytime soon, I was curious about the sound.

How's scenic Runnemede?

mike
    Yes, fitment IS the same.

Runnemede sucks. The speed limits are too low, the traffic is horrible and I constantly worry about my car in the parking lot of my apartment complex.

-Jim

Easy project. Sounds great with the SUS
    04 STI
    FPGreen

Thumbs up

Looking good Matt... Love the details...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

bov question

im selling my rsx type s to get a wrx because i love AWD turbo!! but had one question in mind. I plan to get cat back exhaust, and blow off valve as one of my first mods. are their any performance gains to a bov? and i heard u run slightly rich with bov and thus have carbon buildup...is that true?? and wuts the 50/50...like half atmospheric and half recirculate? someone please help me. i am a soon to be a fellow WRX owner
    jdm rules!!

Re: bov question

Originally posted by sanee515
    im selling my rsx type s to get a wrx because i love AWD turbo!! but had one question in mind. I plan to get cat back exhaust, and blow off valve as one of my first mods. are their any performance gains to a bov? and i heard u run slightly rich with bov and thus have carbon buildup...is that true?? and wuts the 50/50...like half atmospheric and half recirculate? someone please help me. i am a soon to be a fellow WRX owner
    BOV yields no performance gains. Yes you run rich. Yes 50/50 is half reciruculative and half atomspheric.

You would be better off getting a downpipe/uppipe and your first mods.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.