"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 151
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Mili727 Ill trade you my Stage 4 + WRX for your 2.5 RS. Thats not funny...

bambams247
    Originally posted by Mili727
    Ill trade you my Stage 4 + WRX for your 2.5 RS.
    Thats not funny

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by bambams247
    Thats not funny
    Uh.....ok, so you dont want to?

bambams247
    Originally posted by Mili727
    Uh.....ok, so you dont want to?
    Do you want to trade? Cuz I do

Matt,

Good stuff.... makes cat replacement plans easier...

I plan on replacing my up-pipe pre-cat with a straightpipe when I hit 36K after warranty... do you have an idea how much power you'd get on this mod?

I race a SpecMiata, but plan on doing some rally-x later after some susp. mods.. the AWD is f-ing great!

SpecWRX
    SpecWRX

You only gain about 5whp from a catless uppipe. But you get quicker spool-up and it reduces back-pressure. It also allows you to run a safer higher boost. (Gets the heat out quicker)
    '02 WRX white - Uppipe, MattSpec Turbo-back, Dynorad

Temp Sensor Question

Newbie here! Do aftermarket uppipes come with placement for the temperature sensor? Does eliminating the temperature sensor cause check engine lights? Is the PRE catalytic convertor an actual catalytic convertor? I live in California, toughest smog in the country, I think. Is replacing stock exhaust, turbo back easy enough to do pre- inspection time. would it be too much of a hassle to go back and forth?
    Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2004 WRX wagon,5spd, San Remo Red, factory short throw shifter, boost gauge

This is what cars are supposed to drive like!

BOV feel

I'm new to the WRX. The only other turbo car I've driven hard was a VW Golf TDi in Germany. I've searched for an answer to this but didn't have much luck.

When shifting under a good deal of boost (above 10psi or so), I get a hard decel then hit of power as I'm rolling off the throttle just before the clutch releases. So: under power -> no power -> harsh power hit -> no power as the cluch releases and I shift.

Being used to driving some pretty brutal manual transmission cars, I have a tendency to roll of the throttle a bit slower than required in order to reduce the complaints my significant other and the chassis. Is this the BOV popping open and dumping boost, only to close again before I get on the clutch? It's repeatable enough for me to worry about it, but I haven't been able to experiment with it enough to determine in exactly what conditions it occurs.

'04 WRX Wagon, stock, 5spd, 1500miles.

Do aftermarket uppipes come with placement for the temperature sensor?
    Some do and some don't.
    Vishnu has an extra bung:

While Perrin has no bungs:

Does eliminating the temperature sensor cause check engine lights?
    Yes. There are fixes for it though.

Is the PRE catalytic convertor an actual catalytic convertor?
    Yes. Here is what the material looks like:

Is replacing stock exhaust, turbo back easy enough to do pre- inspection time. would it be too much of a hassle to go back and forth?
    I've heard the WRX CAN pass without the Uppipe cat. The STi has a catless uppipe. Swapping out the turbo-back takes about 1-2 hours to swap out. The turbo-back is very easy to swap compared to the uppipe which can take 3-6 hours.

Hope this helps.
    '02 WRX white - Uppipe, MattSpec Turbo-back, Dynorad

Much Thanks

That was extremely helpful, I reall appreciate it. You must know everything about WRX's. That exhaust illustration cleared up so many questions for me, you will never know.
    Thanks again
    RedDragon

now mine doesn't work

My hks bov completely stopped working too. I've taken it off the car and inspected it to the best of my ability and can find nothing wrong. Anyone figure this out yet?

Exclamation hks bov problem

my hks bov just stopped working. I had thought it was taking higher rpm's lately to blow off, but then just figured i was imagining it. Then all of a sudden, it just quits. I had my stereo way up, so i didn't notice it right away, but then i realized someting was wrong... no blow-off.

I've take the bov off my car to inspect it to the best of my ability.

I blew air through the hoses and filter/adapter thingy, and there is no blockage there. With my engine running and the bov off, air is being sucked through the vaccum hose and the intercooler is blasting air out. So the problem is with the bov itsself.

Has anyone heard of this problem?

How can I fix it?

How would I get in touch with HKS for tech support?

Thanks in advance

and yes... I know there is another thread about this same problem, but thought a fresh title might get more looks and possibly an answer.
    Last edited by VA Beach WRX; 09-07-2003 at 01:25 PM.

You did have the inline filter on, right?
    I created my avatar.

I would try to zip tie the ends of the vacuum line to be sure there is no leaks. Just a thought. Hope you get it working soon.
    2002 SRP WRX Sold .......i need another wrx
    13.3 @99mph with a mbc

03 Honda Element
    1992 Civic hb W/B20 SOLD

Originally posted by CKxx
    You did have the inline filter on, right?
    Inline filter? What's that?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Originally posted by WRXin'
    Inline filter? What's that?
    The HKS peice comes w/a small filter to place inline in the vac. hose to keep oil out of the BOV itself...it prevents it from getting gunked up and jamming.
    I created my avatar.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.