"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 146
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ken, how did the Hallman RX installation go? Any pics? How is it w/ the interior adjustment knob?...

Ken, how did the Hallman RX installation go? Any pics? How is it w/ the interior adjustment knob?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

lt, i never got a hallman inside/outside unit... i've got a joe p, with an adjustable needle bleeder to atmosphere. i've got a grainger solenoid to switch between that and wastegate boost.

my remote control idea is to take the needle bleed to atmosphere inside the cockpit. it SHOULD work without lagging too much and causing oscillations or spiking.

i haven't had a chance to do it yet though. i just swapped out my midpipe with a gutted oem one yesterday, and last saturday swapped my engine/tranny mounts.

i promise to keep you up to date though!

ken

Registered User Oo DaRk StAr oO's Avatar
    Cool, anyone else know any other info on this?
    BRS Autodesign | Sportmax Racing | Falken Tyres | Seibon | C2 Power
    http://www.socalspyders.com/gallery/files/1/sig.jpg
    2001 Toyota MR2-S | So Cal Spyders | Car Domain Site

RFL is trash when it comes to holding boost.

Registered User Oo DaRk StAr oO's Avatar
    But it sounds so pertty!!!
    BRS Autodesign | Sportmax Racing | Falken Tyres | Seibon | C2 Power
    http://www.socalspyders.com/gallery/files/1/sig.jpg
    2001 Toyota MR2-S | So Cal Spyders | Car Domain Site

Originally posted by Mili727
    RFL is trash when it comes to holding boost.
    I run 35psi with mine, and i have NO problems with it holding. In fact, Iíve had customers on the dyno who have had other valves that did leak under WOT. We swap them out for RFLs and they pick up boost pressure and power. In one extreme case we gained 46hp.

Dark star, what is it doing exactly?

If you have the adaptor kit and valve installed correctly there is very little chance for it to actually leak a significant amount.

The valve itself is a 30-micron metal-to-metal seal. It will bleed off a small amount of pressure (just as any metal to metal seal such as your piston rings will bleed off) but in the grand scheme of things this is such a miniscule amount that it's un-noticed.

By having a metal-to-metal seal, we can have the valve last under high heat and high boost where diaphragm valves tend to fail.

So describe your symptoms and Iíll try to help you get it right.

By the way, valve flutter is normal when you are not under high boost pressure. The valve takes 11psi (with no washers installed) of pressure differential across it to actually open. In many situations where you have low pressure in the manifold and let off the throttle you do not create enough pressure differential to fully actuate the valve.
    -Nathan
    12.3@110.4
    When in doubt, add more boost!

someone just got 0wn3n by turboXS
    '03 white rex

Originally posted by verc
    someone just got 0wn3n by turboXS
    All Nathan said was that he runs 35lbs on his RFL. I would call that owning.

Hey Nathan, when I had my RFL on it was leaking and was idling bad. I recently got an APS FMIC and got the APS BOV and its a lot better, I guess because it is not %100.

Originally posted by Mili727
    All Nathan said was that he runs 35lbs on his RFL. I would call that owning.

Hey Nathan, when I had my RFL on it was leaking and was idling bad. I recently got an APS FMIC and got the APS BOV and its a lot better, I guess because it is not %100.
    I didn't own anyone, or rather that wasnít my intent.

You need to run 4-5 washers on a Subaru to keep the valve closed enough at idle to have a stable idle.

Some WRXs don't respond well to a VTA BOV. That's a fact. We've recommended that unless people really want the sound that they skip a BOV. However with larger turbochargers and higher boost you must either crush your stocker so much that it doesn't work well or install an aftermarket valve.

The stiffer you run the spring, the better the car runs. You just need to balance compressor surge vs. having the valve open too easily.
    -Nathan
    12.3@110.4
    When in doubt, add more boost!

Originally posted by nmyeti
    I didn't own anyone, or rather that wasnít my intent.

You need to run 4-5 washers on a Subaru to keep the valve closed enough at idle to have a stable idle.

Some WRXs don't respond well to a VTA BOV. That's a fact. We've recommended that unless people really want the sound that they skip a BOV. However with larger turbochargers and higher boost you must either crush your stocker so much that it doesn't work well or install an aftermarket valve.

The stiffer you run the spring, the better the car runs. You just need to balance compressor surge vs. having the valve open too easily.
    Oops I meant to put "I wouldNT call that owning"

what you're talking about is basically turning your BOV into a 100% ATM valve. To make it run even HALF way decent you'd also have to plug the hose that used to connect to the BOV. As someone else said, it doesn't work too well...you'll probably get bad idle, and be running rich. I have the GFB 50/50 valve. I've had it in my car for over 50K miles with no problems...and as for no performance...that's arguable.

it does reduce turbo lag a little, and will especially help on that 2nd-3rd gear shift. Is it a HUGE difference? No. Can you get something that will get you a BIGGER difference for the same money? No, but for another $50-$75 more you can.

But back to your original question - as long as you plug the return hose, you are basically turning your stock BOV into a 100% ATM valve. The only difference is that aftermarket valves usually have some kind of "trumpet" to shape the sound...yours doesn't. It sounds kinda like someone popping the air valve off a tire...it won't have that sharp pop you get with valves designed to make a cool noise. Also - because 50/50 valves DO have a connection back to your intake, if your motor is "sucking" a little, the air from the valve will tend to go back into your intake because of the greater pressure difference, so you're not just returning 50% of the air...when your motor needs more air it returns as much as it needs...so no cels, no roungh idle, and no running rich
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

sounds clip plzzz

Originally posted by protocol_droid
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...sard+sound+clip
    Link is not working.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Recirculating BOV

I have a BOV that is 100% and I like the sounds good but it does not make the car run right. I want to keep the sound but also recirculate the air. Does anyone have any reccomendations. It does not need to be obnoxiously loud but I definitely want something that is audible.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.