"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 145

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, after searching I see you must be referring to the air box resonator. Thanks. Gonna try it....

Raz
    OK, after searching I see you must be referring to the air box resonator. Thanks. Gonna try it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

why not just do an up/dp and full cat back with a good header

that should get the quicker spool everyone wants while not screwing with the factory safeguards and still (i would think) get you low 14's maybe even 13's...and still get 100k+ out of the motor

i dont know what y'all spent on your cars but for me to spend $17k on a car and then blow the motor just cuz i wanted a little more power would be a big loss for me and my wallet

Re: Cutting vacuum lines

Originally posted by aikenr_2013
    Just in case anyone was wondering, the cost to replace the original vacuum lines for the boost solenoid and turbo is 110 bucks. So don't cut them with scissors when installing an MBC like I did!!
    Wrong. It cost less than $10 to restore my stock hoses. Dealer price.

X

Originally posted by JeremyL
    why not just do an up/dp and full cat back with a good header

that should get the quicker spool everyone wants while not screwing with the factory safeguards and still (i would think) get you low 14's maybe even 13's...and still get 100k+ out of the motor

i dont know what y'all spent on your cars but for me to spend $17k on a car and then blow the motor just cuz i wanted a little more power would be a big loss for me and my wallet
    Indeed. I had my Turbonetics MBC on for about 2k miles, and I usually never drive full throttle. I always had to give it little to no gas to avoid getting full boost. After a while it was not worth its benifits. I took it off, and I was much happier with smooth factory boost.
    -1986 RX-7 GXL
    -2002 Blue WRX Wagon (given up)
    -2001 Prelude, (sold)
    -1989 Accord, (sold)
    -1984 Dodge RamCharger (Sold)

I've seen a few pictures of these and it seems like some are stamped with "forge" and others are just blank. Where did you guys order yours from and what does it have on it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forge.jpg  
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forge-page-pic.jpg  
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

the only MBC worth a crap imo would be the kind that you can control from the cockpit...i personally would not really want full boost every time i step on the gas

theres a reason why the mfgr has the boost control setup the way they do, i think they know a bit more about engine mgmt than anyone of us here

the only MBC worth a crap imo would be the kind that you can control from the cockpit...i personally would not really want full boost every time i step on the gas

theres a reason why the mfgr has the boost control setup the way they do, i think they know a bit more about engine mgmt than anyone of us here
    You can say that about EVERY mod one does to the car. Exhaust, turbo, Intercooler, injectors, YOU NAME IT.

Regardless, it's still the name of the game
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Right there is, and the reason is not SPEED, which is why we do it.

They don't have the exact same idea of what we want out of a car.

You mod it to make it yours, you want full boost? Get it, not everyone should have to deal with it.
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

the majority of the people who mod their cars do not know enough about what theyre doing to be safe and not destory their engine. of course its not my money being blown so i really dont care

but i think a mbc is gonna put a lot more strain and excess wear and tear on the engine than even a full head back exhaust would

Since when do exhaust mods strain the engine more?

I think most of us actually do have a pretty good idea of what we are doing. There have been like 4 or 5 blown engines on these boards?
    skidpad kid: you're the BOMB
    Shard of me: i know

Joshiscookin: Hey fragment.

the majority of the people who mod their cars do not know enough about what theyre doing to be safe and not destory their engine. of course its not my money being blown so i really dont care

but i think a mbc is gonna put a lot more strain and excess wear and tear on the engine than even a full head back exhaust would
    what proof do you have of that? the 10 kids w/ civics around you in rural NG?

you need to do some more reading pal. your own words betray your lack of experience and ignorance.

dR

Originally posted by jakmobile
    Can anyone provide me a list of components/parts #/prices of items that I would need to run mbc(joe-p) with the stock bc. I love the idea of being able to boost higher but like most people don't completely like the idea of having full boost at half throttle all the time. Thanx.
    closest thing to this would start off with a solenoid to switch between the two.

do a search for "grainger," which is an industrial supply house, and "solenoid."

then you start to open up your options.

ken

Originally posted by WRXG0blin
    Indeed. I had my Turbonetics MBC on for about 2k miles, and I usually never drive full throttle. I always had to give it little to no gas to avoid getting full boost. After a while it was not worth its benifits. I took it off, and I was much happier with smooth factory boost.
    you should experiment with adding an adjustable bleed to atmosphere between the MBC and the wastegate actuator.

ken

if by the above you mean to say that people should attempt to learn as much as they possibly can about the pros and cons of various modifications BEFORE they do them, i wholeheartedly agree.

if by the above you mean to say "mbcs are bad" or "you cannot improve on the design as it left the factory," or any other sweeping generalization then i must disagree.

ken