"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 13
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 790 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113513 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; JD!! i can't stop looking at your 'avatar'!! i suggest you get rid of it....

JD!! i can't stop looking at your 'avatar'!!

i suggest you get rid of it.
    Love Peace Happiness Ride
    That Ride will soon be DRIVE!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Jim and other current MBC users

How have you solved your part throttle full boost situation causing high egt's?

Question MBC with a long work commute

Friends:

What do you think about installing a MBC in a car that I take to work about 60 miles a day? I have heard horrible stories about full boost at partial throttle...I mean....how often on the road do you have your foot to the floor (full throttle) where you don't have to worry about having full boost?

Maybe I don't understand partial throttle....this is any time that the pedal is not to the floor right? So say you are cruising on the NJ Turnpike at 80 mph (not full throttle)...in 5th gear...do I have to worry about full boost at partial throttle problems, because....you know I wont have it to the floor....so I guess it will be partial throttle right?

I mean I have read people saying that they have an EGT gauge with an MBC...and when they see the EGTs rising...they either back off or floor it....thats something that I would rather not deal with....I just want to have better boost in all gears...is it possible to be safe with an MBC...i realize that it is a risk...

Which MBC is the safest for a long commute...i have read about all these different types....I just want to have higher boost in lower gears....without worrying about EGTs....i will most of the time be in 5th gear...i just want a little more speed to get me there

Say I was going to install the MBC....how do you calibrate it. I have the stock turbo gauge....i need to set it to .1mpA (15 psi)...how do i do this....I mean people talk about setting the MBC to different values in different gears...how is that done?

I have read all the old threads...so please dont refer me to past posts

Sorry that I know nothing about turbo charging...I am new to it....please someone help me out...thanks people....

I ditched my Joe P in favor of letting the Link ECU control boost. I don't have an EGT gauge, so I don't even know if there was a high EGT problem.

-Jim

I have an MBC installed and I drive anywhere from 60-160 miles per day for commute depending on where my job sites are. Most of the time when I am cruising on the freeway @ 80MPH, the boost will go from -30Hg to -10Hg while maintaining speed. If I do about half throttle, it boosts to about 5-8psi, and If I go more than that I get full boost. I don't really mind the full boost @ partial throttle that everyone was talking about. I notice it, but I don't find it annoying. I don't have an EGT guage yet, so I don't know what temps I am seeing, but my Godspeed Uppipe is in the mail, so that should cure any EGT problems I may be getting and give me more peace of mind. I would recommend this as well.

I use the JoeP. from www.boostvalve.com for $42. You adjust it by driving and pulling over and popping the hood, then turn the screw and go driving again. Once you have it dialed in you leave it alone. Boost will be the same in all gears, but 1st and 2nd sometimes give a lower reading so tune it using 4th up a incline and lugging the engine. Takes about 5 minutes to install and maybe 30min to dial it in.

Jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Yea I would get the uppipe...but then I could never install the damn thing....I think that its all about the uppipe actually....however installation is scary...anyone in NJ have one installed?

AbleKnight, got the MBC installed and it is some mod for so little
    money. The PTFB problem exists. I also drive 120 miles round trip
    daily and actullay really watch my boost gauge closely and let off the
    gas once it starts getting boost.

I am working on using a dawes solenoid to make it a dual mode
    system. FBC normal and MBC when switched on. The car is more
    drivable in back to back traffic with FBC.

If it works then I can help you install it. Btw the car is a whole lot
    fasssster and if this is just the beginning, it is gonna be one
    freaking fast car. Where are you, email me.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

I too have an MBC (boostvalve from boostvalve.com) set at 15psi. I used to worry about what full boost would be like, but it's not a problem.

If your cruising along your always in vacuum. It's only when you apply the pedal that it increases. It doesn't increase as much as you think. It will increase from -10 to -15 to +10 psi. In 5th gear at 60clicks even if you floor the pedal, it takes a long time to get full boost - by that time your well above the speed limit......

15psi would be somewhat conservative as it is roughly the same boost as stock but 1st gear is close to 15psi not 9psi.

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Michaelwrx thanks for the info. You got the facts

The only reason I gonna do the dual mode system is that I don't need
    that MBC during commuting. Also in case someone else drives the car.

I am gonna setup the car for the track and maybe do Lime Rock if I
    can swing it.

Michaelwrx that MBC makes a world of a difference doesn't it.

Originally posted by WRXrumble
    Michaelwrx thanks for the info. You got the facts

The only reason I gonna do the dual mode system is that I don't need
    that MBC during commuting. Also in case someone else drives the car.

I am gonna setup the car for the track and maybe do Lime Rock if I
    can swing it.

Michaelwrx that MBC makes a world of a difference doesn't it.

Thanks...I am no expert by anymeans......I just know what I like. If I remove the boostvalve the car is dog slow....Couldn't wait to get it back on......I think I am the only WRX running the boostvalve down under here in Melbourne Australia.

Cheers
    MichaelWRX
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

boost control system

actually, there is a guy on i-club i think selling a boost control system for the wrx. it uses two solenoids, and allows you to switch between two settings, one can be mbc, and one stock bc, or another mbc. he's done a ton of testing and it looks like a very nice system. i was thinking of doing it slightly different, but he sells the whole kit for like $130. it includes everything needed for the install, including connectors and tubing. also ,there is a guy selling the "boostmonkey". that system will only give you full bosot in 1st and 2nd if the pedal is down a predetermined distance. you set at what throttle position you want his system to kick in, that way you can keep the egts down. you can have it only kick in at 3/4 throttle. just some things i thought i'd pass along. let me know if you guys are plannign to try the solenoid system, i've been researching it quite a bit. later.

sg

Yes it is by Bristol Boost or something like that.

I think if you use the regular Joe P type setup ( MBC using the
    signal from the FBC ) you can have some ill effect so you will need
    the dual solenoid.

The boostvalve uses the boost signal from the BOV leaving the FBC
    completed untouched. Si I figure I will try the single solenoid method
    to cut down complexity. Also I like the RED trigger switch ala NOS

God
    I think best to use an EBC and be done with all these problems. MBC's and their various add ons are band aid fixes and not the proper way to control boost. I have used EBC's and have not had one single boost problem on any of the cars I've installed them on. I boost to 19 PSI every day and have 32,000 miles on my car. Zero problems.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

God, you are right. 2 bad we don't have you in our area. Most good
    subie tuners are far away, and I won't let a local honda tuner touch
    my car

God
    An EBC is something super easy to install and tune yourself.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.