"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 127
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yeah i used that in the current dyno...its amazing how much it affected the boost...my previous bov bleeded boost up ...

yeah i used that in the current dyno...its amazing how much it affected the boost...my previous bov bleeded boost up top like crazy. we logged the dynoes and once it hit 18.5 the most it dropped off to at redline was 17.8. Its definitely a must for hi boost FMIC cars, IMO...one of the guys at the shop's dsm race car picked up 4 mph in the 1/4 after switching to the Tial unit...And plus it looks awesome too...
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by BassMan097
    one of the guys at the shop's dsm race car picked up 4 mph in the 1/4 after switching to the Tial unit...And plus it looks awesome too...
    impressive
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

STI with TurboXS, BOV, and Blitz SUS...

Yesterday I put on the turbo back exhaust system, the Blitz BOV, and the Blitz SUS. The car has a personality now... I mean it's a whole different experience, a great one.
    I saw the write-ups on the possible inadequate filtration of the SUS, but I had already purchased the unit. I can swap it out later if I choose to.
    I also drive a '91 Audi 200TQ 20V Avant with ALL the goodies, so I am used to lovely sounds from the front and rear of the car. Now the STI really feels like a 'sports' car vs. a very fast japanese sedan. These mods may not be for you, but they most definately are for me!

I also have the Defi gauge pod with Defi BF guages, and am replacing the drivers seat (thigh bolsters cut off my circulation, seat bottom too narrow for melegs) with a black leather Sparco I have lying around.

Beasts, does the sti seats have the side airbags in the shoulders of the seats or in the doors? I too would like to change the seats but not if I have to get rid of the side airbags.

thanks,

ur2 slo

Hmm... I'm not so sure about constant tweaking with my car. I'm no mechanic or anything. The only thing I can do is probably change a lightbulb and thats it. I plan on going to a shop and getting all this stuff installed by a professional instead.

So I guess I'm stuck between to MBC or not to MBC. The main thing is the reliability issue - it may sound like the best idea - increasing cheap HP... but I don't think I would enjoy the feeling of my car breaking down everytime I drive.

I do not know much about different types of MBC, but it seems this board is pretty much set on this JoeP MBC. I doubt any rice shops carry this product. What are some of the mainstream MBCs? Or do most vendors carry EBCs instead?

Are EBCs easier on the engine?

I do not want to let a few hundred dollar difference between MBC and EBC screw up a $35k car (CAD) years down the road.

Thanks

cnk
    There are other options to control boost besides an MBC or EBC. The ECU reflashes don't require either one and use the FBC (factory boost controller) to increase boost with a bleed valve that you don't adjust. It doesn't matter if you use an EBC or MBC as both can be dangerous on an engine if you don't know what you're doing. If you're really not technical/mechanical and don't understand what you're doing, I would say that the safest thing to do is to go the ECU reflash route. It's a set it and forget it deal.

Calvin

Super....

How is with the exhaust? Did you notice a big inprovemnet in power? No MBC?

Where are you in the hudson valley?

cool flash intro to your site beasts, welcome to the club.

glad you are happy w/ the first mods. what's next?

dR

Lets see some pics now.

I'm not sure where the airbags are, I don't see how it could come out of the seat by looking at it. But there is a tag on it????
    I have very long legs and the thigh bolsters end up cutting into my thighs, I'd rather be comfortable.

I'm in Rhinebeck.

I'm not sure what the next mods are, I have a number of projects going on right now and they are all competing for funds. I did put a great stereo in it. When I can put H.I.D. driving lights in where the fogs go that will happen. I cut them into most of my vehicles.
    When the engine management is cracked and more upgrades become available I'm sure I'll go for them. My last Japanese car was a 94 1/2 Supra twin turbo and the ECU was remapped in Tokyo by TechTom (I believe, that was a long time ago), I sold that two years after I bought it. I'm still a bit out of the loop with all the gizmos and wizardry. I've been in Euro and Cubic Inch land.

Which rear end section did you get with your Turboxs turbo back exhaust? . Did you get the Megaflow muffler or the high performance muffler (RLF-T1)- the one they say is for people who want to be noticed.

I had their turboback exhaust (with Megaflow rear section) on my 02 WRX. It sounded pretty cool. I'm not sure if I can handle anything louder. If you got the performance rear section, how loud is it?

Also any complications on the installation?

Thanks. I will look into ECUs then.

What kind of exhaust do you recommend? Catback or Turboback?

I want an exhaust that is just a tad louder than stock. Nothing loud or anything.

I've heard that the Tanabe, HKS, and Skunk ones are loud, whereas Greddy and Apexi are the quiet ones. Any thoughts?

Oh and is there a site that has sounds for WRX with different exhausts installed?

cnk
    For best performance, you'll want to get a turboback along with the uppipe. There are many good options out there. The Vishnu unit is pretty nice. You could also go the TurboXS route and either get the full turboback or stealthback. The turboback comes with a Magnaflow muffler and sounds pretty good IMHO. The stealthback comes with everything except the muffler. You can bolt on any axleback muffler. Most people choose to bolt on a Prodrive muffler. You can't go wrong either way. The Magnaflow and Prodrive are both a bit louder than stock and probably what you're looking for. There are some sound clips floating around the boards, just do a search for sound clip.

Calvin

I noticed that you mentioned Dan from Godspeed said to go with his uppipe downpipe and exhaust combo. This was the first mod that I had done to my car and I was more than satisfied the craftsmanship, fit, and performance. I would definately suggest going with that for your first mod. From reading around an intake isnt neccessary until you get into some serious mods like a new turbo and engine management.

Just to let you know. The Godspeed setup removes all of the cats. I went with the Godspeed uppipe, downpipe, and Blitz Nur-spec 3 inch catback exhaust. To be honest, it is damn loud with the baffle taken out. It sure sounds mean though. I hope my opinion help!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.