"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 122

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright.. thanks for the insight everyone. Does anyone know where I can get one of those little filters? Does it ...

Alright.. thanks for the insight everyone. Does anyone know where I can get one of those little filters? Does it go inline with the vacuum hose just before the BOV?

FB123

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by RLsChMiDt
    You mean the engine RPM's suddenly rise? I've been getting that a lot lately, but I found out it was just me. You have to adjust your shifting if you get a BOV, and maybe you just haven't adjusted yet.
    I was doing the same thing even before I had my HKS BOV. I still do it sometimes when I'm not really consciously driving
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

God, would you recomend the RFL over the HKS or GFB?
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Originally posted by WRXSti04
    I found out recenlt that the cars don't need turbo timers either. LOL don't want to waste any money on useless parts.

Thanks

Why don't these cars need a turbo timer?? I was unaware of this.

new trumpet for GFB BOV?

I heard that GFB developed a new trumpet for thier BOV. Where can I find some info on this and possible order one?

PS - just order the GFB Stealth FX BOV as my second mod.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

tell me when you figure it out!
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

Awesome!

Ooops! Had the volume all the way up when I listened to it...now I'm deaf...but what a way to go right? Listenin to the car purr...or growl I should say

It sounds like NASCAR's "Turn it up" where the announcers shut up and jack the audio levels to here those suckers fly by!!!!!!

Just like everyone else I have to say awesome diagrams. Chalk full of info and it was great to actually have something to look at instead of having to piece it together in my head. Thanks again for the awesome post!

Perhaps you should diagram the entire engine next

Greddy BOV installation instructions/owners of greddy bov?

I just got the greddy type S blow off valve, and it didnt come with any installation instructions. I called greddy and all they told me that you have to take off the intercooler, and replace some metal pipes and other rubber hoses. There is also a short blue greddy hose with clamps that comes with the bov, and a bunch of gaskets/random parts. I dont know how to install it, since its way different than any other bov, but i would like installation help if anyone knows how to do it. Also, greddy told me that if i have the stock air filter box assembly (which i do) then i wont even be able to hear the BOV....and that id have to get a different air intake assembly. If anyone has the greddy type s bov, and the stock air intake setup, can you hear it? How loud? One reason why i dont want to do that is because the filter is just sitting in the fender well and itll get mud/water on it if i go mudding/rallying. Does anyone know of one that wont get exposed to dirt or that has a cover? Thanks for your help in advance.
    2003 Sedona Red WRX SOLD THIS WEEK
    Soon getting S10 ZR2 4x4

God
    Call the dealer who sold it to you. If they can't help you you need to start buying from dealers who offer tech support. I'd help but I have not seen the Greddy BOV's yet.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

coz they say newer subarus has coolant running to cool the turbo down, either way, a turbo timer won't hurt

bov experts, need your help!

ok this is the situation. I floor the pedal and release it at about 4k rpms, but the bov is venting like 1 full second after I release the pedal. I'm also getting this noise from the engine bay (i'm not sure what it is, but i heard it may be compressor surge).

Is it normal to have your bov vent (make that woosh noise) a second or two after you release the gas? It seems like there's a delay. But when I drive normally with about 50% throttle, the bov vents perfectly, right when I release throttle.

My bov is the GFB Stealthfx and it is adjustable. What can I do to correct this? or is this normal? thanks!!!!
    03 WRB WRX - 5/18/03

How come the cold air systems aren't more popular? Is that they will definately lean out the fuel? Or are they a PITA to install?

I also noticed a Thermosports thermostat on Nino's site. Why is it $90? I've got a Buick Grand National, and I thought their 160 thermostats where expensive at like $15. But are people running them on these cars? Their very popular on the Buick GNs. I think any turbo intercooled car would love to run cooler. Of course, the fan wouldn't kick on until the higher temp, whatever that is, but that can be reprogrammed, no?

As been said before, the air inside the turbo gets extremely hot when its compressed (law of physics) so it really doesnt matter what temperature the air is going into the turbo. That's what an intercooler is for. Also, a CAI takes longer to get the needed air, and also runs lean. Really no point for a CAI on a turbo intercooled car.

Originally posted by Blue2004WRX
    As been said before, the air inside the turbo gets extremely hot when its compressed (law of physics) so it really doesnt matter what temperature the air is going into the turbo. That's what an intercooler is for. Also, a CAI takes longer to get the needed air, and also runs lean. Really no point for a CAI on a turbo intercooled car.
    So you're saying that Subaru (and all the other car makers that do it), who have the technology to build an incredibly sophisticated motor, have somehow misinformed themselves and wasted time and money designing the stock CAI? No flames intended, but (I don't think) the theory holds. Whatever temp goes in will be heated by X%...and come out X% hotter. Unless there's an upper limit to the air temp, or that compressed air is going to be heated to X if at a certain pressure, regardless of its starting temp, I'd say it's a benefit. And there can be a 30-40 difference between engine bay and outside air temp. I know with my Buick GN, that my hp seems to be equivalent to at least 1/hp. IOW, if it's 50 outside, I'll have 430 hp. If it's 80, I'll have <400 hp. Most of this of course is attributable to the IC cooling, but it's quite obvious that air temp plays a BIG roll.

I'd think it'll help..."a little". But of course, until someone produces a viable dyno data comparison...we can argue this all day.

It's physics. Starting temperature doesn't matter at that compression. Temperature is equivalent to air pressure. I can explain why if you want.

HOWEVER, in the low RPM band where turbo hasn't spooled, a CAI may give you better performance. Not quite sure about that.