"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 118

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; kool kool...what's a knock?...

kool

kool kool...what's a knock?
    "Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- 2004 Aspen White Subaru Wrx Sti

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

okay well i suck at t his **** but imma try.
    knock is the sound cause by detonation?
    detonation is when the spark plugs are fireing either too early or too late?
    usually it is caused by improper (too low) octane or other engine management errors such as u have on the USDM STi ?
    "somehow the car feels faster when u drive it"

Knock, pre-ignition, pinging and detonation are the same thing. In the WRX it sounds like someone crunching an aluminum soda can. Pre-ignition really isn't detonation, but a lot of people refer to the two phenomena as being the same.

Actually, detonation is the explosive result of fuel burning in an uncontrolled fashion due to a number of reasons primary of which are heat, pressure, and low octane. Because of the high horse power to cubic inch ratio in the EJ20 (WRX Engine) detonation destroys your engine.

This is the simplified version and suffers a bit in its accuracy as a result.

X
    Last edited by MisterX; 06-30-2003 at 03:47 PM.

werd to big bird... flick a piece of aluminum foil and that is the horrid sound my motor makes with crappy gas.

also, i agree with forgetting the BOV. I would assume the timing on an STi should be fairly agressive to begin with... So an exhaust and S-AFC for fuel might do the trick nice.

-mike

Do Wrx's and Sti's come with BOV from the factory?

TurboXS RFL BOV installed (stock car) Problems

I got my turbo xs rfl blow off valve today and got it put on, but i noticed a few things about my car different. Right when i start the car, the rpms go up slightly just like normal, BUT then when it heads back to idle, it drops way below 500 rpm and almost stalls, then goes back to idle. THen, while im driving it stalled 3 times. One time i was even moving, and it just stalled. Then when i let off the gas between shifts, it does the same thing, rpms drop below idle and almost stalls, everytime i rev it really. The car also shakes like when you let of the gas or push the gas slowly to accelerate while already moving. Ive read in the instructions that if your car runs rough and loses boost then to install washers/spacers. We didnt use any, and im gonna try to put some on tommorow i guess. Remember, my car is stock, so give me some advice on what to do. I have noticed a drop in performance it seems, mainly turbo boost isnt maximized. I also read that you can adjust it by turning it? I have it facing the side right now......what should i do? Thanks so much!
    2003 Sedona Red WRX SOLD THIS WEEK
    Soon getting S10 ZR2 4x4

Did you reset the ECU you after you installed it?

If not, then do a search and type this in the search field: "ecu AND reset"
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Originally posted by RLsChMiDt
    Did you reset the ECU you after you installed it?

If not, then do a search and type this in the search field: "ecu AND reset"
    No i didnt actually, i did not know you were supposed to, and the installer who did it didnt tell me about it. Thanks, ill try that tommorow, but i still think ill need washers/spacers? Anyone else? thanks!

help with gfb stealthfx bov

just installed the gfb stealth fx bov and i'm having trouble turning the sound adjustment circle. it seems to be connected to the second ring (nipple ring) and it's very difficult to move.

i also get a fluttering/sputtering sound sometimes when i shift fast at around 3k rpms.

also, my bov vents pretty loudly at 3k rpms in normal driving. is this okay? or should i adjust it? which adjustment should i make for this problem? )the sound adjustment or spring tension adjustment)

thanks!
    03 WRB WRX - 5/18/03

Definitly do the reset and also put a washer or 2 in it. I actually went to 2 washers just cause it makes it blow off less easily.
    2002 Silver WRX with:

TurboXS MBC @ 15.5, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Shift Bushings, Godspeed Uppipe, Custom 3" Turboback Exhaust with 4" Bellmouth and Flowmaster Muffler, Eibach Springs, Diablo C9 18" Rims, Wings West body Kit and Wing

i dunno if txs rfl is the similar to hks.... but on the hks bov there is a screw in it in which u can tighten or loosen to stiffen or loosen the compression spring... If its too loose than the systems u suggested occur.. dropping below idle and stalling..
    ~Mark

Mods

they call it a bypass valve i think

Is called a Diverter Valve and yes it is included.
    2004 World Rally Blue STi
    Email: JDMTEG@nc.rr.com
    AOL IM: Bluedevils80

hello

im interested in installing this BOV, i have a stock car tho, and as much as u guys say it wont do **** for me, i still want it cuz i believe this forge one wont do any damage but something that i need to do when i get this is take it off every time i go to the dealer, how is the install? fast..slow..? is it easy to replace the stock BOV? thanks!

Re: hello

Originally posted by BIGRACING514
    im interested in installing this BOV, i have a stock car tho, and as much as u guys say it wont do **** for me, i still want it cuz i believe this forge one wont do any damage but something that i need to do when i get this is take it off every time i go to the dealer, how is the install? fast..slow..? is it easy to replace the stock BOV? thanks!
    Howzit! It's easy. 10 minutes max...
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'