"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 117
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; do u get that snake sound in the middle of building boost when u release the throttle or u get ...

do u get that snake sound in the middle of building boost when u release the throttle
    or u get just a smaller blow off sound

how did u tune up ur bov so that the nut doesn't get too hard or soft?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Question problems with bov

i just got my turboxs type h bov installed and i have noticed that my car seems to be straining at higher rpms and acceleration seems sluggish. i am planning to go with the cobb reflash stage II and i was wondering if this will help the situation at all or if there is something i need to fix with the car before i take the next step. any help would be greatly appreciated

What are your mods?
    Is the BOV 100% atm, if so you will get some richness out of it because the ecu thinks the air is staying in the system.
    Doesnt explain the high rpm strain, but mine is stock and the turbo just cant keep up, the boost falls towards RL and it just seems wimpy. I reckon a big turbo would help.

my only mod is the bov cause i just got the car last week. i have more plans for it but havent had the car long enough. one more question is are there any problems with the cobb reflash stage II on the 04 models or are the ecus the same as the earlier models? cause i havent heard from anyone who has done it to their 04 model.

Do you hear a boost leak when it is straining at high rpms. If so, change springs. Acceleration is sluggish because you may be running real rich down low. Too late advice...take off the BOV and return to stock. The BOV may be a better idea when you are pushing more boost.

Definatly add more washers or a tighter spring to the BOV. It sounds like it may be opening way to early.

I just installed the same BOV yesterday...power is still the same down low, but it may be leaking a little boost up top. How do you adjust the springs, and you can add washers to it? I bought mine used and the guy had lost the instructions, but he told me how to install it. Isn't there a way to adjust it with an allen wrench? If so, which way does what?

It all depends on how you release the throttle, if you release the throttle slowly, it will make a fluttering noise, everyone already knows how it sounds when you release the throttle all at once. Also, the Greddy type s has to have a flange welded on to make it work for the WRX. Just from hearsay, everyone I know has recommended against the type s BOV.
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

i want to get a AF gauge and a boost gauge befoer i get a bov, kinda feels like i want to monitor that richness
    sigh
    i want a bov so bad
    that RFL or the dual blitz i used before sounds good
    greddy i heard doesnt' make that nice of a swoosh

I purchased a Perrin short ram for the STi from here.
    http://www.ninosautoaccessories.com/products.php?s=3

I called Nino and it was $170.00 shipped. I am installing it with a TurboXS RFL TI on Tuesday.
    2004 STi

is that a foam filter?!
    looks good
    i'm too worried about the rich factor, so i might need a af gauge or boost gauge before getting the intake and the bov
    but 170 shipped sounds good for the short ram intake
    how come u didn't go with the AEM or HKS SUS filter?

Originally posted by cann
    is that a foam filter?!
    looks good
    i'm too worried about the rich factor, so i might need a af gauge or boost gauge before getting the intake and the bov
    but 170 shipped sounds good for the short ram intake
    how come u didn't go with the AEM or HKS SUS filter?
    It says dual stage foam filter...whatever that means.
    No cels thrown, price and convenience are the main reasons. I really didn't look too hard....I just wanted to have a little less restrictive intake to go with my exhaust. I doubt that there will be any problems with a short ram and exhaust.

Wouldn't it be too lean instead of too rich? I will have fuel management eventually.

Laters
    Last edited by Hummer; 06-29-2003 at 06:28 PM.
    2004 STi

Blow off valves

Hey...its pretty easy to throw in blow-off valves without much mods right?...and what would be a good upgrade for the turbo?
    "Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- 2004 Aspen White Subaru Wrx Sti

oil?

o yea... and what would probably be the best oil to use in the car?I'm almost at 3000 miles
    "Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- 2004 Aspen White Subaru Wrx Sti

i'd run 5w 30 mobil 1 full synthetic b/c you live in seattle.

forget the blowoff valve. it doesn't do anything but make noise.

a good first upgrade is the exhaust. open up the system, then look into a knock sensor. i hear some of hte STi's are knocking out of the factory.

dR

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.