"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 115
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Trust me, you will get tired of it. Ive gone thru 3, txs rfl... hks ssq, and now a gfb ...

Trust me, you will get tired of it. Ive gone thru 3, txs rfl... hks ssq, and now a gfb 50/50

-mike

i like the stocker the best

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture 804.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

yay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails picture 805.jpg  
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Yo, try rotating it to face the driver side fender, i think it makes it a tad louder...

BOV Question

Hey Guys,

This might be a stupid question and it may have been posted in the past, but I thought I'd ask...I've been looking at BOV's to install in my car. My friend tells me the GFB is the best, because it is recirculating (or can be switched to atmospheric mode)...I hear atmospheric BOV's like the TurboXS RFL make our cars run rich and make them stall. Sooo my question is, whats the difference between an atmospheric BOV and the recirculating BOV? And why the problems with the atmospheric BOV?

-slim
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (AP Stage 2)
    Midnight Black, weathered and beaten thanks to the wonderful citizens of Philadelphia, PA

2005 Honda S2000
    Silverstone Metallic Exterior, Red/Black Interior, a shifter made in heaven

oh no i didn't mean blitz's BOV sounded bad. i was just askin if the blitz and greddy sound the same or what not

and is blitz quality good?

I have run both the GFB 50/50 recirculating and the Turbo XS 100% vent.

In my experience the GFB 50/50 is far superior. My car runs alot smoother and idles easier. The 50/50 vents to the atmosphere and vents to the dump tube- the tube on the left (facing the car) whre the factory BOV (actualy a pop-off) is attached.

BOVs are supposed to improve throttle response and guard aginst turbo backspin.

My Turbo XS BOV, only in my experince, made the car run with alot of back fire and alot more sluggish. They do make the ECU run a richer mixture. During the venting process the MAF reads that hey there isn't alot of air here so the mixture becomes enriched.

Now, having said all that the real fuss (opinion) about BOVs is to get the PSHH sound. I personally love it. But the reality is the car runs best with the factory pop-off.

So a reasonable compromise is the 50/50. I get the PSHH at 5000 rpm shifts instead of 3000 with the XS. I get no backfires. And since I run a VF24 I guard against backpressure and get better throttle response (in theory).

Bottom line: I like the PSHH with out the backfires and rough idle. BTW you can easily covert the GFB 50/50 to 100% vent at any time and back to 50/50 very easily....in case that little bit of "rice" in all of us needs to smile.

Can't see in photo and you probably did this but plug the dump tube

Originally posted by vanguard
    During the venting process the MAF reads that hey there isn't alot of air here so the mixture becomes enriched.

That is only semi correct... The MAF reads the air before it is vented to the atmosphere. Once it reads the air, it adds fuel to compensate for it. Then the air is vented to the atmosphere and the fuel that was supposed to balance it out is just dumped in, making it run rich for a split second when you shift.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Originally posted by vanguard
    Can't see in photo and you probably did this but plug the dump tube

Run the dump tube into the cabin and blow into it when you shift, to help compensate for the lost air.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Originally posted by CKxx
    Yo, try rotating it to face the driver side fender, i think it makes it a tad louder...
    I'm sure he did or else his car would barely move.

Very sorry, you are right. The MAF reads alot of air, BOV vents and fuel is mixed. Too many backfires has ratled my brain

Originally posted by TOTWillegh
    Maybe im insane, but if you dont get a noise its not blowing off meaning that you're probably getting some kind of compressor surge?
    That's the first thing I thought when I heard he wasn't blowing off at 2,500 RPM. You gotta be careful with those BOVs using washers.... the ability to control when the BOV vents the pressure can lead to problems. That's why I like my GFB so much, no washers to deal with, and it plumbs back 50% of my air so I don't run as rich.

Blue
    Turbo XS Stage IV PnP; Mods include: STI, HKS, PDE, Bosal, MRT, ZeroSports, BPM, Samco, IHI, Whalbro, NGK, Defi, Greddy, Kartboy, Sony, 2 Tone Leather, Charcoal Tint, Billet Grill, and Vanity Plate.

Thumbs up

I was not saying they sounded bad either. I like the sound. sounds goofd
    2004 World Rally Blue STi
    Email: JDMTEG@nc.rr.com
    AOL IM: Bluedevils80

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)

Washers?

I installed mine like 2 months ago and i cant remeber if i used washers...

More washers = less sound?

Explain

Any BAD drawbacks?

Thanks
    Tom
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.