"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 111

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; does anyone know if adding a BOV (most likely a type h or RFL) voids any warranties? i know it ...

BOV warranty

does anyone know if adding a BOV (most likely a type h or RFL) voids any warranties? i know it can depend on the dealer but just a general idea would be nice
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well there are at least 10 diff ways to answer this question.

a non mod friendly dealer may just void the whole car which is illegal or he may just mod the parts it deals with. or a mod friendly dealer may not even care.

it's all in the dealer.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

It can be put in and removed in under 5 minutes. Don't risk it, simply take it off.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

I Support ClubWRX

Anyone Have a Leaky Stock BOV?

I have been against aftermarket BOV's for the longest time, after the hell I went through with my GFB BOV last year. So I took a year off from aftermarket BOV's. But I took a ride in a friends car that had a BOV a few weeks ago, and said, I need one of those again. So I went ahead and bought a Forge 100% atmo. BOV. I have been running it for a month, and was really getting annoyed with the pssshhhhtt. Plus my girlfriend started compaining that she didn't like the noise it made.

So I went back to the stock BOV last weekend. So during this week, I have noticed that the car has been running real sluggish with the stock BOV. It idles rough, low rpm take offs aren't as smooth as they used to be, and WOT blasts just don't push me in my seat anymore. I did check all of the connections of the stock BOV, including the clamp on the recirculating hose and the BOV gasket on the intercooler. All were fine and tight.

So today I got fed up. I put the Forge BOV that I was trying to sell back on the car, with the blue spring and no spacers. Went out for a drive, and all was back to normal. Idle was fine, low rpm take offs could be had without a hint of stalling, and WOT hits hard in the chest again.

So my question for you all is, have any of you had problems with the stock BOV finally giving up and not holding higer boost anymore. With my stock BOV on the same SBC-id settings as the Forge BOV, I was gettiing 13.9psi and 14.6psi respectively, at FULL WOT BLASTS.

I now have to keep the Forge BOV for a while, until I can fabricate a fixture at work to test the BOV under pressure, and see if there are any leaks.

cnk
    I'm running an HKS SSQV BOV and noticed that I get much better response from the engine with it in. The only thing I can think of is that the stock DV opens partially and allows boost to escape.

Calvin

Thinking out loud

Is there a remote possibility that your ECU has learnt to work with your Forge BOV, and therefore reacted adversely when you re-installed the stock unit?

Re: Thinking out loud

Originally posted by AlexWRX
    Is there a remote possibility that your ECU has learnt to work with your Forge BOV, and therefore reacted adversely when you re-installed the stock unit?
    Thats what i was thinking, be my best guess.

Just today, I noticed that at zero boost after being in boost i hear a leak ... like I did when i had an aftermarket bov...

Maybe i'm just hearing things...?
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

did you try crushing the top down?

where is best price for GFB bov?

where can i get a good cheap price for a brand new gfb hybrid bov? or maybe a turbo xs type s or h. any good sites have em for cheap? thanks
    03 WRB WRX - 5/18/03

First off ditch both those B.O.V and go with a HKS SSQ. It vents 100% and runs flawless with the stock setup which is what you have i take it. Go to www.vividracing.com
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Soon to come
    Utec, FMIC, Fuel Injectors

Question center pipe gasket thingy

Can anyone describe if there is supposed to be a gasket or connector or something between the center back and cat-pipe? I just 'finished' installing my scoobysport and I can hear and smell a huge leak at that joint with the springs.

I looked at the first diagram that Matt posted and I can see a ring or something where a gasket would go. What is that?

BOV Problems

Okay so i read a couple posts on another forum that say that a lot of aftermarket BOVS are bad for your car (causing it to run rich). A friend of mine told me it doesn't hurt to run rich, just that your car may back fire a bit. So I was hoping to find out what you guys thought about this statement, and if it is bad for the car, are there any aftermarket ones that aren't. Thanks a lot
    Couldn't afford a wrx just yet.... gonna wait for an sti

so for now im just driving around my slow 365hp vr4 (but with a pair of 13T turbos, sh@t could get interesting)

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Thinking out loud

Originally posted by AlexWRX
    Thank you for your suggestion. That is the one thing I didn't do was reset my ECU. I re-installed my stock BOV today, made sure my boost gauge "T" fitting in the BOV hose was nice and secure, and I will see if it changes back to normal tomorrow. I then reset my ECU, and haven't driven it yet. I will update this thread if things do change.

I run the HKS SSQ BOV. It runs well with my car and also will run well with a stock car. As for running rich what happens is the WRX has a recirculating valve so when you run a BOV that is 100% atmosphere the ECU still looks for the air that is vented and its ratios are effected. Also all the guys at vivid racing run the HKS. So good luck.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Soon to come
    Utec, FMIC, Fuel Injectors