"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 790 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111511 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I left the cover the way it was and rerouted the hose so that it does not touch any metal. ...

I left the cover the way it was and rerouted the hose so that it does not touch any metal. My hose actually had extra slack and I was thinking of cutting it so that it would not move around. It took me a while but in the end it was worth it. Have any of you tried the 100% vent to atmosphere? I can't figure out how to set up the BOV to do this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know how you set it up for 100%. You take the supplied plug and plug the hole that reroutes to the intake. And then you reinstall the cap that was on the blow off valve when you received it{you took it off to hook up the hose that reroutes to the intake.

I believe a dealer can tell what your boost measurements have gone to. You should do a reset of the ECU before taking it in.

Originally posted by michaelwrx
    Well, I am no expert, perhaps answers from Moderators can better explain.

Don't forget that an MBC can be taken off in 5 min. I took mine off last night cause car going in to fix an unrelated problem. Dealer should not have any idea that it has been there.

Best AUD$100 I spent (US$50)

Cheers
    Michael
    2002 WRX Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl
    www.sanzones.com
    K&N Filter
    Short Shifter
    Ti knob
    More to come soon

Originally posted by masanz1
    I believe a dealer can tell what your boost measurements have gone to. You should do a reset of the ECU before taking it in.

I only rely on dealers to fix things (sometimes after multiple attempts)....Wouldn't really trust their apprentices to know what is what under the hood (bonnet)

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Boost

Dont know much about boost.If I was to put a mbc at 15psi and left my pre turbo cat on,would my turbo be toast?I have read all the stories about it getting junked but did not know if this is because of high boost. We get inspections every year in MA so I want to leave cats on.Also,if I am running more boost dont I have to run more fuel?Wont the car be running to lean?Is there really much diff in power between stock boost and 15lbs?

Re: Boost

Originally posted by bongo1
    Dont know much about boost.If I was to put a mbc at 15psi and left my pre turbo cat on,would my turbo be toast?I have read all the stories about it getting junked but did not know if this is because of high boost. We get inspections every year in MA so I want to leave cats on.Also,if I am running more boost dont I have to run more fuel?Wont the car be running to lean?Is there really much diff in power between stock boost and 15lbs?

If you leave the MBC at 15psi and run the stock pre-cat I dont believe you will have any problems. My car is totally stock running 15psi. Alot of other owners here also don't have this pre-cat modifcation.

Running more boost can cause engine to run lean. ECU will adjust to a certain extent but at 15(which is almost stock level) you again should be fine. Anyone else care to comment?

The big difference b/w the stock boost at around 14.5psi and the MBC boost at 15psi is that the boost comes on much quicker. I get full boost at around 3,000rpm. Stock boost in 1st gear is around 9psi now more like 13psi. The difference is quite remarkable.

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

BOOST?

Just wondering if I was going to keep cats in place, could I use the Turboxs stage 1?With 30hp increase, there must be some big heat being put out.Is this safer than just a mbc and guage due to fuel control,etc.Will 15psi and mbc give close to this hp.So many questions.

Re: BOOST?

Originally posted by bongo1
    Just wondering if I was going to keep cats in place, could I use the Turboxs stage 1?With 30hp increase, there must be some big heat being put out.Is this safer than just a mbc and guage due to fuel control,etc.Will 15psi and mbc give close to this hp.So many questions.
    I honestly dont know about HP increases. I am not sure that an MBC set at that level will give more power but what it does do is bring it on earlier. More power is a question of boost, a/f ratio, timing and other mods.

You would be well worth just getting an MBC and trying out. Mine was from:

www.boostvalve.com

Cheers
    Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

BOOST

Thanks for the info.I might have to give it a try.

What the............? Did the thread I started and this one get merged? Well, it's a good idea anyway for a one stop MBC info source.

Question just got my gfb today...

so you guys like your gfb bov? I don't know, but I have mine venting atmosphere @ 50/50, and for some odd reason the sound under low boost sounds like a fart (e.g. putputputputput) instead of a whoosh. The only time I hear that desired, one syllable "WOOOOOSH" sound is when the car is boosted high and that's usually at 5000 rpm's and up! When I had my old Eclipse GST, I had a Greddy bov that would "WOOOOOSH" even under low boost. Would it help if I vented the GFB at 100% atmosphere, or would I still get that undesired putputputputput fart?
    -"I love my PUNKY!!!"

Yup, i'm not that excited about the sound my GFB valve makes. In fact with the stock valve and my Blitz filter, I got a decent woooosh type sound under low and high boost instead of the constant flutter I get with the GFB I also want to know of the difference in sound and performance the GFB makes in 100% atmosphere, and does it affect performance-like making the fuel run rich. Hopefully venting the GFB at 100% atmosphere gets rid of that flutter sound it makes when it's at 50/50. Well guys, if you had success at 100% atmosphere let me know, or i'm just going to live with that annoying flutter noise this $200 valve makes until I can anny up more $ for a turboXS gfb.
    -"I love my PUNKY!!!"

Subyboo thanks for the info. I need a 50/50 cause I think 100% will drive my wife nuts. But the pupupu sounds bad.

Anyone know of another 50/50, is the Blitz a 50/50 ?

Thanks in advance.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Cool GFB BOV

i also have the same GFB and set up 50/50, mine at low speeds sounds the so called woossshhh, just not as loud. check you connections, make sure your not loosing any some where else..

God
    Blitz is 100% to atmosphere. I prefer it that way. I see no reason to go 50/50. If you want quiet leave the stock one on.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.