"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 109

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by cnk Don't know if you could really say that the uppipe caused the problem. What I meant ...

Originally posted by cnk
    Don't know if you could really say that the uppipe caused the problem.
    What I meant is that the uppipe was helping the situation, and worsening it. Since you and I have one and our cars are running fine with the HKS BOV, I figured that the uppipe was the reason. It kinda makes sense since there's more airflow and the turbo spools better, and therefore we're making more boost.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cnk
    Possibly, but I don't think the uppipe gives you that much of an increase in boost. . .maybe a little. What it does do is allow your turbo to spool a little quicker. . this may be what compensates for the rich condition.

Calvin

Originally posted by cnk
    this may be what compensates for the rich condition.
    Maybe...I'm really anxious to hear from 2003WRX to see if has an uppipe. I'd like to figure out why his car didn't run as well as ours.

EDIT: I just clicked on the link in his signature. He doesn't have an uppipe. So can we come to a non-scientific conclusion that an uppipe helps the situation Calvin?
    Last edited by WRXin'; 05-19-2003 at 09:55 AM.
    Fahd

cnk
    Well. . it certainly couldn't hurt. It would be interesting to hear from other people though so that we could get a bigger sampling. I would assume that most people that have added BOV's have also modified their car to a certain extent.

Calvin

Originally posted by cnk
    It would be interesting to hear from other people though so that we could get a bigger sampling.
    I completely agree. If anyone else on here has a BOV, let us know if you have an uppipe or not, and whether you're having problems after having installed your BOV.
    Fahd

Installed the SSQV after the uppipe.

We need to hear from more who have the SSQV and stock uppipe. Its always recommended to have better exhaust flow with an atmospheric BOV, so having a cat-less uppipe may be a factor.

Originally posted by AlexWRX
    Installed the SSQV after the uppipe.

We need to hear from more who have the SSQV and stock uppipe. Its always recommended to have better exhaust flow with an atmospheric BOV, so having a cat-less uppipe may be a factor.
    So I take it you're not having problems with your BOV?
    Fahd

Originally posted by WRXin'
    So I take it you're not having problems with your BOV?
    None. In fact I hardly have to use the horn now.

Originally posted by AlexWRX
    None. In fact I hardly have to use the horn now.
    HAHA...I sometimes hear people scream when I pass them and my BOV goes off. I feel bad at times, but I wouldn't trade it for anything
    Fahd

Hmm.

Well guys...my first mod on the car was a BOV from HKS. I walked into the dealership with that friggin thing and installed it as soon as I got home. No problems whatsoever til now. What I can NOT figure out is the little knob on the back of the BOV. What is it for?
    WHat kind of function does it have?
    -soul

cnk
    The little knob on the back is factory set for idle pressure. You are not supposed to adjust it unless you are leaking during idle.

Calvin

Heres another interesting bit:

it can take less than 10 minutes to gut the third cat.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

Question

Hey guys...I'm new to the forum and this just happened to be one of the first post's I've read. The diagram is great!!! I come from the Integra GSR family and don't know a lot about the WRX yet, in fact I don't even have my car yet. My GSR was super-charged and I had plenty of knowledge in that area but I have very little knowlege in the turbo department.

Anyway, my question is regarding the exhausts cats. I gutted the cat in my GSR and the exhaust noise was absolutely outrageous. Can you give me some guidance as to what cat's I can dispose of and what kind of effect that will have on the exhaust volume level of the WRX?

Thanks

... or if you want it to vent at lower rpm. the only way it would leak at idle is if the diaphragm was torn, since it uses built up pressure to help keep closed, and the plunger has to literally be sucked back to release the pressure.

i noticed more afterfire after finally putting on my catback, which finished off my exhaust. oh well, maybe i'll tighten up the bov a little.
    05 STi...not stock

You can get rid of any two cats and not have a problem with the volume. The uppipe cat should go first for performance reasons.
    '02 WRX white - Uppipe, MattSpec Turbo-back, Dynorad