"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 106

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=26111 theres one thread that was on the first page of this forum...

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...threadid=26111 theres one thread that was on the first page of this forum
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that clamp on the hose has a lock on it...

you can take it off the hose lock it in the full open position slide it back on the hose, put the bov in, slide the clamp to the end of the hose and unlock it....
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

am i the only one who didn't have problems with the clamp? i just used needle nose pliers and clamped the lock and that's it

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    I couldn't get it to lock for a good amount of time...it kept on slipping off the lock

So I can get the ring with the screw at Home Depot, right?
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

That clamp is a b*tch! They make a tool that is supposed to make it easier. Last weekend, when I changed the clutch in the car, I was trying to get that on, and I've wrestled with it before in the past too, so after trying for about 10-15 mins to get it on, I gave up and changed clamps. I put the screw kind on like on the Throttle Body hose. MUCH easier to get on and off.

Also, if you want the hose to go on to the BOV easier, I used a little bit of Petroleum Jelly and smeared it on the BOV. The hose slid right on w/ no problems after that, then the new clamp went on and I was done in less than 5 minutes. You need to get rid of that clamp though.

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Best tool you can ever get when it comes to these certain clamp hoses. ESPECIALLY with the recirc hose which is so conveniently located next to your IC (and if you got big hands, like I do, is a pain in the ass to squeeze into), is to get yourself a vice grip clamp of some sort. It's a tool similar to a pliars, except its a vice grip, with both sides clamping the hose down you can vice it to stay open, position the hose through the clamp and when its in place let go.

Let the flame wars begin....

BOV's for the most part are a good thing. They release un-needed pressue away from your turbo and into the air. HOWEVER! 100% atmospheric BOV's (IE, TurboXS RFL) do what stated above, with the added side effect of making your pig-rich car, running even more rich in between shifts. The reason is that the air which is calculated by your ECU that is normall recirculated back to the turbo, is now being lost mid way (atmospheric) and the ECU compensates it by doling out more fuel. Thus you have more fuel then needed skewing your A/F ratio in between shifts, causing a momentarily rich run. Numerous UTEC datalogs will prove that this is indeed fact.

Fact is, your STOCK BOV is capable of up to 20PSI, many companies such as Mitsubushi use an identical BOV to be in use with there 4G63 turbo cars, and these motors are more then able to take boost then our little EJ20's whether you like it or not. Unless your runnin 21+ PSI, keep the stock BOV, save some problems and keep some performance.

vice grip...great idea...
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

OMG, it took me an HOUR er so to put that shiz back on! MY GOD!!! First off, it was a PITA to get the return hose back on the BOV, then to get the clamp, clamped..? my god!

I just ended up taking a 5 min. break and putting all my energy into it lol... i was sore the next day
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think I've got a vice grip lying around somewhere...if I don't have any luck at Home Depot tonight, I'll definitely look for it. Thanks guys!
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

waht spring in blow of valve

ok so what color spring comes equipped in the blow off valve when you get it.

2K3 is right. There are much better uses for your performance dollar than swapping your BOV. You might consider changing your up pipe, or installing a bigger rear sway bar. Let your mods help your car work BETTER.
    A lot of power is good, more is better, and too much is perfect. I mean, if less is more, think how much more more is...

It's a bov for the bov lover, but car will hesitate slightly in between shift. For those of you who claim to feel no difference in drivability in between shift. Try this, unplug maf sensor and see how much smoother car shifts without it. You will trigger a CEL but if you can clear it I think its worth a try. By doing that you are running off a map sensor I believe instead of maf and map. That's the way we should be able to run bov, without maf sensor. I am currently waiting on TXS to come out with maf to map signal conversion for their UTEC which I TRULY BELIEVE to be a real solution for blowoff valves.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by jarelee
    kurleedaddee - would you happen to have a picture of the warm gear clamp?

I have the same problem as you verdugo. When i put back on my stock bov, the hose wasn't completely snug on the bov, and i couldn't get the o clamp back on, so i got one of the clamps with the screws in it. It's a bit easier with that, but i might consider the 'warm gear clamp'.

g'luck
    Here's a picture of a worm gear clamp. This is what we have always called these clamps.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yep, Home Depot had them, in the plumbing department! I'm going to wait until my engine is nice and cold before I put it on, so probably not until tomorrow morning before I leave for work Thanks again, guys!