"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 105
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Verdugo As for the metal piece, I bought mine used and I didn't have the screws for ...

SBW
    Originally posted by Verdugo

As for the metal piece, I bought mine used and I didn't have the screws for mine, so right now I'm just using it without any metal piece. I tried look for metric screws but all of the ones I could find have heads that are too big
    Dont feel bad man, I dont have either of those end pieces on mine either. I like it better without it!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

a few people here have the rfl, blackshadow does, and im not sure who else... but he hasnt noticed any fall in performance
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SBW
    Dont feel bad man, I dont have either of those end pieces on mine either. I like it better without it!!
    Yeah I was wondering what it sounded like with at least the non-filtered one on...any idea if it sounds different? I've heard it with the filter and I don't like it at all.
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I recently put one on a WRB WRX..

No problems have come up, we started out with 0 washers, and it blowing off so often got annoying so we put 2 more in there and that seems to be the happy medium. A local shop had put 3 of them on.. one needed 1 washer, another needed 2, and naturally the other needed 3.

but no problems, when we took it apart to put in the washers we did lube it up a little with the recommended motor oil just as a precautionary measure.

the bov is great, very loud

only problem i ran into when installing the txs rfl was putting the plug in the stock recirc tube..

that was a royal PITA.. but we got it.. might need to go get a bigger hose clamp, we did.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX

Stock BOV reinstall

I bought a used Blitz BOV 'cause I wanted some bling (and to scare pedestrians) but it really started to show how much better my car ran with the stock BOV over a 100% atmospheric BOV. Thus, Wence and I decided to put the stock BOV back on today. It went all right, but has anyone else had a PITA putting that metal "O-clamp" back on? Is it ok to run without it? Right now it's off...but the BOV feels pretty snug in the hose that leads back into the intake. Any advice?
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)

if i understand u correct, go to home depot and buy one of those hose clamps...

what diff did u feel with stock and the aftermarket i mean the way the car runs.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by SpeedRacerWRX02
    if i understand u correct, go to home depot and buy one of those hose clamps...

what diff did u feel with stock and the aftermarket i mean the way the car runs.
    I went to Loews (pretty much the same as Home Depot, but they actually have metric screws) to see if they had the type of clamps with a screw instead (like the kind that clamps down on the big IC hose) and they had no idea what I was talking about! I described it at length and the guy was like "what kind of car do you have?" and I'm all "it's a Subaru" and he says "sounds like one of those factory-only parts to me." BAH

And well, my car bogged A LOT whenever I let off the gas. I don't have to let off the gas between shifts of course (being 4EAT) but when I do, my whole car just kinda learches. It also had some problems holding boost, but I'm fairly certain I could've corrected that by tightening the screw. It definitely made driving the twisties yesterday not too fun though, since with no air going back into the intake system, my boost totally dropped fast when letting off the gas and it made corner exits slower than that should've been.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Stock BOV reinstall

Originally posted by Verdugo
    I bought a used Blitz BOV 'cause I wanted some bling (and to scare pedestrians) but it really started to show how much better my car ran with the stock BOV over a 100% atmospheric BOV. Thus, Wence and I decided to put the stock BOV back on today. It went all right, but has anyone else had a PITA putting that metal "O-clamp" back on? Is it ok to run without it? Right now it's off...but the BOV feels pretty snug in the hose that leads back into the intake. Any advice?
    I can consider myself an expert on BOV installs, since all of my dilemas with my old GFB BOV.

Go to a hardware store and get the same size worm gear clamp as your 0-clamp(On every single 0-clamp I have taken off my car, I have replaced it with a worm gear clamp). It will make your install 100% easier.

I would not run your car without the clamp on. If you get into boost, when it recirculates, you could pop that hose right off. Be very careful, and don't boost too hard without the clamp.

And I can't believe you didn't have any problems with getting the recirculating hose back onto the metal pipe on the back of the stock BOV. I couldn't get my hands behind the hose, so it took like 15 minutes of swearing and cussing before I finally got it on there.

Moderating YOU
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: Re: Stock BOV reinstall

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    I can consider myself an expert on BOV installs, since all of my dilemas with my old GFB BOV.

Go to a hardware store and get the same size worm gear clamp as your 0-clamp(On every single 0-clamp I have taken off my car, I have replaced it with a worm gear clamp). It will make your install 100% easier.

I would not run your car without the clamp on. If you get into boost, when it recirculates, you could pop that hose right off. Be very careful, and don't boost too hard without the clamp.

And I can't believe you didn't have any problems with getting the recirculating hose back onto the metal pipe on the back of the stock BOV. I couldn't get my hands behind the hose, so it took like 15 minutes of swearing and cussing before I finally got it on there.
    Worm Gear Glamp...is that the official name? That's exactly what I wanted I think! Can I get that at Home Depot?

And yeah no problems getting the hose on the pipe at all...of course my cousin Wence was helping me so with 4 hands (one on the other side to support the hose and keep it from going down) it was ok.

Stupid newbie BOV questions

I just bought my WRX last week and have purchased a turbo timer (blitz FATT) and was wondering about BOV's. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Any problems with how my car runs?

Also I wanted to sk if anyone that has installed a turbo timer has had problems with the subaru security system?

Thanks!!
    total newbie

I took off my BOV too to put back to stock... I took the IC off then Then I smashed my finger when the stock clamp didnt hold open... Smash black and blue index finger nail. D'oh

Verdugo: Bling bling biased! Volk LE37Ts:
    RLsChMiDt: LOL, Verdugo, you love to floss your rims

Verdugo: I bought a used Blitz BOV 'cause I wanted some bling

Lol Verdugo, I have another name for your car: The Bling Machine. So slap dat blow-off valve back on dere cuz itz the shizzzznit

kurleedaddee - would you happen to have a picture of the warm gear clamp?

I have the same problem as you verdugo. When i put back on my stock bov, the hose wasn't completely snug on the bov, and i couldn't get the o clamp back on, so i got one of the clamps with the screws in it. It's a bit easier with that, but i might consider the 'warm gear clamp'.

g'luck

theres no such thing as stupid questions... just stupid people that ask questions. ask away on questions, well try our best to help, everyone was a newbie at one point

some bovs people have observed a performance loss, some have not. Some have made peoples cars run wrong... Some have no problems at all... do a search on this to find numerous topics.
    Last edited by ebr0t; 05-12-2003 at 07:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.