"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 10
Page 10 of 788 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110510 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I installed my GFB BOV today and had a few questions to those who have one. The cap that has ...

Need GFB blow off valve help quick

I installed my GFB BOV today and had a few questions to those who have one. The cap that has the four allen head bolts in it with tube that connects to the vacuum line, did anyone have problems with it facing the wrong way, the tube that is. Also, what is underneath that cap? I know there is a spring, but what else? You see, I took the cap off to make the tube face the correct way and something or things fell out. I still have the spring and got everything installed but whatever else was in there fell into the engine bay and I can't find it/them. I drove the car and everything seems fine, no cel or anything, but am I safe without the other stuff that was under the cap until I can get the stuff from Go Fast Bits? Any input will be greatly appreciated and the sooner the better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got the turboxs-h bov it works well. After I put the joe p on it was louder and higher pitch. I depends on how you want it to sound, and if it vents back to the intake or atmosphere.
    "They came they saw they lost"

02 Plat WRX:
    AutoMeter Boost Guage
    HKS SSQ bov
    Joe P MBC
    Blitz SUS Intake
    TurboXS Unichip on the way....

Re: MBC

Originally posted by Rob W
    I assume to 'set' the MBC in 3rd, you need to be running in 3rd at higher RPMs?

Also, by reading the forums I know that using a MBC can effect driveability when driving conservatively. But I'm not sure what that means.... can someone describe what happens at low/partial throttle?
    Just short-shift to 3rd (or 4th), floor it to at least 5k, and make note of the max reading on the boost gauge at any point during the rpm curve.

With regard to driveability issues. You will get full boost at partial throttle, which some people think can affect driveability. The biggest problem is probably that it can give some high EGTs. Personally I have not found it to be a problem, although the car does hit much harder when it comes on boost, which can be a hazard in heavy traffic if you are not paying attention.

-Pace

so boost in 3rd gear stock is 14.7 psi correct? why would you set the boost controller to 14 or even 15 in third gear? when setting this level in 3rd grear does it change the levels in the other gears? if so what levels?

also what does TXS set the boost to be through all the gears?
    wrxfx Intake
    K&N Filter
    OZ 17" Superleggera
    Dunlop 215/45 W-10
    Brullen Cat-Back

Originally posted by snoword
    so boost in 3rd gear stock is 14.7 psi correct? why would you set the boost controller to 14 or even 15 in third gear? when setting this level in 3rd grear does it change the levels in the other gears? if so what levels?

also what does TXS set the boost to be through all the gears?

Because the stock boost controller bleeds boost off slightly whereas most MBC (ball and spring type) don't bleed any off. This means the boost builds up quicker (i get full boost at 3,000rpm) and 1st gear rather than being 9psi gives me from 13-14ps

You WILL notice a big difference!

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

S-K
    Actually, stock is *supposed* to be 13.5psi. Pre-MBC I was getting ~11.5 in 3rd, strangely enough.
    http://planb-attack.com/WRX-Pasture8.JPG
    "Are You Sure That's A 4cyl?!"
    -Dave-

Originally posted by S-K
    Actually, stock is *supposed* to be 13.5psi. Pre-MBC I was getting ~11.5 in 3rd, strangely enough.
    If you find the spec sheets you will find the stock boost is 14.2/14.3 from last one I saw.

Where did you tap the guage line?

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

does adding a MBC have any bad long term effects on the engine or is it just on the turbo...if it is the turbo who cares you can buy a new one off ebay for $100's...
    wrxfx Intake
    K&N Filter
    OZ 17" Superleggera
    Dunlop 215/45 W-10
    Brullen Cat-Back

Talking

Originally posted by snoword
    does adding a MBC have any bad long term effects on the engine or is it just on the turbo...if it is the turbo who cares you can buy a new one off ebay for $100's...
    How long is a piece of string?

Depends how much your turn it up, how you drive, other mods etc etc. If you turned up the boost to say 16-17 then your gonna get high EGT's and melt things and increase pressure on internals.

I would think that setting the MBC at the same level as what you get pre-MBC then the only things your really going to suffer are:

1. Partial boost at partial throttle. This is not so much of a problem though.

2. Slightly greater fuel consumption (mine increased but is consistent with driving the car harder)

3. A big grin on your face

Michael
    Last edited by michaelwrx; 03-18-2002 at 06:47 PM.
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

so maybe the question is..what types of things can go wrong.
    wrxfx Intake
    K&N Filter
    OZ 17" Superleggera
    Dunlop 215/45 W-10
    Brullen Cat-Back

Well, I am no expert, perhaps answers from Moderators can better explain.

Don't forget that an MBC can be taken off in 5 min. I took mine off last night cause car going in to fix an unrelated problem. Dealer should not have any idea that it has been there.

Best AUD$100 I spent (US$50)

Cheers
    Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Talking Holy Schnikes!!!

Originally posted by michaelwrx
    Don't forget that an MBC can be taken off in 5 min. I took mine off last night cause car going in to fix an unrelated problem. Dealer should not have any idea that it has been there.
    I did the same thing when I took my Rex in to get the bumper cover replaced. Even though they'd have no business looking under the hood, who can trust a dealer? After getting back home and reinstalling the JoeP... Man, what a difference! Total personality shift. Best $50 I ever spent. On a car, that is...
    2002 WRB 5-spd: K&N drop-in, silencer hack, Samco IC hoses, Godspeed uppipe, Bosal downpipe w/stock 3rd cat, Tanabe RM catback, TB Racing crank pulley, Tanabe GF-210 springs, Koni Sport strut inserts, Group N tranny & motor mounts, Whiteline rack bushings, Kartboy rear-sway endlinks & shifter, Goodridge ss brakelines, Akebono ProACT front pads

Re: Holy Schnikes!!!

Originally posted by JohnZim63
    I did the same thing when I took my Rex in to get the bumper cover replaced...
    Good to see that the US is picking up the 'Rex' name...

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Yes it faces the wrong way. (kinda).

It is possible to install it as is, but the rubber host will touch hot metal. Probably not a good idea!

I turned it around so the GFB logo on the cap is upsidedown.

From memory, the only thing in there is a spring and an O-ring.

How's it running? I haven't had a chance to actually put mine in the car.
    ---
    danwrxor
    Dark Blue MY01.
    No mods. (yet)

The car is running great, I emailed Go Fast Bits and I guy named Brett emailed me back saying that it should be alright. They are sending me a new spring washer as we speak. Very nice guys and they have excellent customer service. He said that you can flip the cap over to install the hose but he said that you can keep it the right way by pulling the hose over to the left before installing the bov. I tried this and there doesn't seem to be enough slack, even when cutting the tie that holds the two hoses together. Thanks for your reply.