TURBO INFO [compressor maps, flow, volume etc.] - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on TURBO INFO [compressor maps, flow, volume etc.] within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; To add to that, you can download a PDF of altitude pressure correction factors here . Also, a nice pressure ...

To add to that, you can download a PDF of altitude pressure correction factors here.

Also, a nice pressure unit conversion calculator can be found here.
    Last edited by djrez4; 01-14-2003 at 04:23 AM.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

0db
    Originally posted by TypeC
    There is also a line show compressor rpm. The higher the compressor rpm, the hotter the air will be and the harder the turbo will be working (read: longivity).
    Tons of excellent info in this thread!

This particular point is, in my opinion, an overgeneralization... the islands of efficiency have MUCH more bearing on outlet temperatures than the compressor speed. If a compressor has 78% efficiency at 200,000 RPM, the outlet temperature will be no higher than another compressor that makes the same pressure ratio at 78% efficiency at 120,000 RPM. In fact, below a certain speed it becomes very difficult to attain efficiencies as high as 78%, which is why compressor design is leaning toward smaller and faster compressors. Watch your efficiencies above all else. Chances are, if your compressor has peak efficiency at 150krpm, you WILL be making too much heat at 200krpm, because you will be operating at a reduced efficiency. But if your peak efficiency is at 200krpm, don't let that scare you off. And if the turbo is designed around a peak efficiency point up at 200krpm, that speed is certainly not going to harm your turbo's longevity. These things are made to go fast! As long as your oil and cooling system is adequate, the bearings should not take any more wear and tear regardless of speed. The real problem is, if the turbo is designed for a PEAK speed of 200krpm, it's likely that the shaft has a vibration problem somewhere a little way above that speed. If the shaft starts shaking, you WILL potentially get metal-metal contact at the bearings or at the compressor wheel/shroud interface and then UGLY things start to happen.

I'm not talking completely out of my ass here, I am a mechanical engineer working in centrifugal compressor design for the past year. Not a ton of experience but I've learned a lot, and took coursework specializing in turbomachinery and bearing design when I was finishing up my degree. I've also got a few very useful excel worksheets I've put together that I'll see if I can upload and share if they'll be of use to anyone else. Turbos are FUN! This thread remains the best summary of turbocharger info I've seen on any auto forum!

Corrected 3si link to Jeff Lucias's site..

http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm

1x2
    djrez4,

this is nuts! Thanks! (can't send money, saving for mods...)

Originally posted by 1x2
    djrez4,

this is nuts! Thanks! (can't send money, saving for mods...)

And nuts are tasty...start digesting my friend
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

hey thanks man..you guys actually made all of that pretty understandable for someone who doesn't know that much..of course i'm not talking about myself... ..i found the first map alot easier to read but it's helpful to know how to read them now..thanks!

PS Koyokid, your enthusiasm about the subject was great and just reading what you were writing has taught me alot and even though i didn't really know you wou'll be missed greatly
    Last edited by wrxgc; 06-18-2003 at 01:37 PM.
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

Well, IŽll start printing lots of things. I love when I realize that there is SO MUCH I can/have to learn!! I love finding out new things.

Thank yoy all people, who posted this information.

Future mechanic engineer writing here! Next year I start studying.
    I do REALLY want the STi to come to Argentina...

This is good info.

How can you tell by looking at the compressor maps when the turbo will spool?

Originally posted by Mad WRX
    This is good info.

How can you tell by looking at the compressor maps when the turbo will spool?
    You can't. Spool has more to do with the hot side than it does the compressor side of the turbo. It also has alot to do with the size of the motor that it's being used on. Compressor map is generic.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

any info on

the xs engineering 450 turbo? compared to the others listed?

Turbo flange

Hey guys,

This is a little off topic, but can anyone tell me the dimensions of the TD04 turbo flange. The center to center dimension between the mounting holes and the bore diameter.
    I believe the flange is square....right?
    Thanks a lot.

Rez,

According to that chart, the VF 30 flows more air at 18 psi than the 23 does at 14.7. Is that possible? If so Im assuming that were talking about flow at redline. Where did these numbers come from?

thanks,

Joe
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

turbo flow

The turbo flow rates in those charts are generally at the far right side of the compressor map at the stated pressure ratio. In the case of several of the VF tubos as is labeled on the chart they are educated guesses ( ei. estimates) based on observed performance in the real world and basic physical characteristics like the compressor inlet, and turbin outlet sizes which roughly correlate to compressor performance as long as your comparing similar turbos.

If you go to the original thread on Nasioc ( http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=278517 ) you will find a large section of notes explaining both changes made to the list over time, and the how and why some turbos are ranked as they are. More importantly, I clearly state in that thread that any two turbos that have rated flows that are within 5% - 10% of each other should be considered essentially equal. Don't waste your time splitting hairs here folks, the ranking list is only a first order selection guide so folks can quickly narrow down their search to turbos that are reasonably suited to their needs.

There is a huge range of performance possible with any given turbo depending on how you set up supporting mods and tune, not to mention how you drive and what fuel you choose to use.

Larry
    Last edited by hotrod; 01-17-2004 at 09:28 PM.

Lots of broken links in this FAQ.

djrez4 quoted:
    Now, reading the TD04 map, we see that peak efficiency is 76%. The area enclosed by the 76% line includes all of the area in which the turbo is operating at peak efficiency. That said, the most you can get out of the TD04 at peak efficiency is about 0.9bar of pressure and 225 CFM of flow.

The T3 map is rather crappy. While we can still tell where peak efficiency is, we aren't quite sure exactly how efficient the turbo is inside that area. You can, however, see that you can run about 1.25bar of pressure within peak efficiency and flow around 25 lb/min of air.

can you explain this a bit more. I'm having a hard time following your logic here.

correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't be at more than one place on those maps at the same time right?
    Never stop learning.

Mushroom! Mushroom!
    I want Boost!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam3482p
    If I had a Mustang, I'd sell it and buy some Waffles.
    Want to play with my Wankel?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.