Ninfourteener's Progress Thread + Pics - Page 30
Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 885

This is a discussion on Ninfourteener's Progress Thread + Pics within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Wrinklechops Ah no, that was a few years ago. I served from 2003-2007 mostly at Fort Lewis, ...

  1. #436
    Boost > NA itWRXjustfine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fort Riley
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Ah no, that was a few years ago. I served from 2003-2007 mostly at Fort Lewis, WA. I would have loved Carson though - that base is nice and close to home! Fort Lewis is another one of those hidden gems though. Nice place.
    Yeah Lewis is like 3 hours north of where my family is from.
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

    My 2006 Build

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #437
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by itWRXjustfine View Post
    Yeah Lewis is like 3 hours north of where my family is from.
    Nice place up there. Pudget Sound, Mt Rainer. Good stuff.

  4. #438
    Registered User bellhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    56
    To ninefourteener and anyone else tuning a TR.

    Have you enjoyed working on your TR's and adding STI parts or at some point did you wish you owned an STI?

    I'm not knocking TRs at all believe me. I love mine! But I've been looking around and I like the look of the greyed headlights/taillights and blue/black interior of the 05-07 stis.

    I was wondering if in your opinions it would be worthwhile to put money into my car to customize it and make it mine, or look into swapping it and making an sti with those parts on it "my own".

    As far as the performance side of things, I plan on racing like autocross or amatuer rally.
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

  5. #439
    Registered User Pavia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly/DE area
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by bellhammer View Post
    To ninefourteener and anyone else tuning a TR.

    Have you enjoyed working on your TR's and adding STI parts or at some point did you wish you owned an STI?

    I'm not knocking TRs at all believe me. I love mine! But I've been looking around and I like the look of the greyed headlights/taillights and blue/black interior of the 05-07 stis.

    I was wondering if in your opinions it would be worthwhile to put money into my car to customize it and make it mine, or look into swapping it and making an sti with those parts on it "my own".

    As far as the performance side of things, I plan on racing like autocross or amatuer rally.
    My 2 cents...

    Yes, I've enjoyed upgrading my TR immensely. I've also learned a lot about the car. I now have a custom car that's tailored to myself.

    However, yes, I wish I had bought the STI. I've spent a lot more money on upgrades than what a stock STI goes for, over the WRX price. But then, my car has gone another direction anyway.

    Also, all the money spent on mods is not coming back to me if I sell my car.

    But... I'm not selling my car, so I'm glad I took the route I did.

    Besides, I still have more work to do

    - BBK
    - Gauges
    - Bigger Turbo w/ FMIC
    - STI HIDs
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

  6. #440
    Registered User bellhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    My 2 cents...

    Yes, I've enjoyed upgrading my TR immensely. I've also learned a lot about the car. I now have a custom car that's tailored to myself.

    However, yes, I wish I had bought the STI. I've spent a lot more money on upgrades than what a stock STI goes for, over the WRX price. But then, my car has gone another direction anyway.

    Also, all the money spent on mods is not coming back to me if I sell my car.

    But... I'm not selling my car, so I'm glad I took the route I did.

    Besides, I still have more work to do

    - BBK
    - Gauges
    - Bigger Turbo w/ FMIC
    - STI HIDs

    Excellent! Thanks for the feedback.

    I have the feeling I'm going to be in the same boat with my car. Something tailored to me and my personality that I'm never going to see the money value returned to me for what I spent on the parts. But I do have a feeling that seeing my car closer to what I have in mind for it, and of course the enjoyment of the driving experience will have more value to me than any amount of money coming back my way.

    Of course I'm not there yet so...
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

  7. #441
    "Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC area
    Posts
    2,190
    Yes, I too love this car.

    But..... No, I do not wish I'd bought an STI.

    I have the seats.... the brakes are coming.

    To me, the ONLY "real" advantage of an STI is the tranny. And honestly, I prefer the wider gear ratios of the 5-speed tranny, particularly on the track.

    I'm approx 70hp more than an STI..... with 46k miles..... and my tranny (and clutch) are still 100% OEM, and operate absolutely flawlessly.

    Would I like to have an STI transmission? Sure.... but it appears to me that the WRX 5-spd is operating just fine so long as it isn't abused.

    Plus, I saved $10k on my purchase when I bought it.

    Plus, I save a bundle every month in insurance.

    Yes..... I've spent about $13k in mods.... so "technically" I've spent more on my car than I would have if I'd just bought an STI.

    My car also gets about 50 times more looks, head turns, and compliments than stock STIs as well though. To me (considering I built it)..... it is better, and more satisfying.

    Oh yea..... and it will DEVOUR a stock STI
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

  8. #442
    Registered User bellhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Yes, I too love this car.

    But..... No, I do not wish I'd bought an STI.

    I have the seats.... the brakes are coming.

    To me, the ONLY "real" advantage of an STI is the tranny. And honestly, I prefer the wider gear ratios of the 5-speed tranny, particularly on the track.

    I'm approx 70hp more than an STI..... with 46k miles..... and my tranny (and clutch) are still 100% OEM, and operate absolutely flawlessly.

    Would I like to have an STI transmission? Sure.... but it appears to me that the WRX 5-spd is operating just fine so long as it isn't abused.

    Plus, I saved $10k on my purchase when I bought it.

    Plus, I save a bundle every month in insurance.

    Yes..... I've spent about $13k in mods.... so "technically" I've spent more on my car than I would have if I'd just bought an STI.

    My car also gets about 50 times more looks, head turns, and compliments than stock STIs as well though. To me (considering I built it)..... it is better, and more satisfying.

    Oh yea..... and it will DEVOUR a stock STI

    That is all I needed to know! To be honest with you I would have stripped down the STI to look like a stock wrx neways...

    And if your clutch is doing that well with the added performance to the car, that means the one on my 07 shouldnt be having the problems it is because I don't abuse it. I blame my mechanics.

    Anyone in the denver metro area have a mechanic they'd recommend for me to go to? Not for performance upgrades but for maintenance?
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

  9. #443
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,518
    I Support ClubWRX
    Weird, insurance on my brand new STi was cheaper than the insurance on my used 03 wrx. I paid 73/m full coverage for the STi and 75/m full coverage on the WRX but I only got that close because I switched to a cheaper insurance company. My new 05 STi is 68/m full coverage.. Weird huh?

    Anyway, the 06-07 WRX TRs are a pretty killer value, yea interior was cheaper but you still get the 2.5 liter motor and the 06-07s had the kick ass brakes stock. Id take care of your tranny and build your TR the way you want it.


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  10. #444
    Registered User bellhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Weird, insurance on my brand new STi was cheaper than the insurance on my used 03 wrx. I paid 73/m full coverage for the STi and 75/m full coverage on the WRX but I only got that close because I switched to a cheaper insurance company. My new 05 STi is 68/m full coverage.. Weird huh?

    Anyway, the 06-07 WRX TRs are a pretty killer value, yea interior was cheaper but you still get the 2.5 liter motor and the 06-07s had the kick ass brakes stock. Id take care of your tranny and build your TR the way you want it.
    Are you saying your insurance is68 dollars a month? cuz im paying 300 dollars for mine. Maybe I read that wrong but if I didn't....I'm living in the wrong state!
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

  11. #445
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,040
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bellhammer View Post
    That is all I needed to know! To be honest with you I would have stripped down the STI to look like a stock wrx neways...

    And if your clutch is doing that well with the added performance to the car, that means the one on my 07 shouldnt be having the problems it is because I don't abuse it. I blame my mechanics.

    Anyone in the denver metro area have a mechanic they'd recommend for me to go to? Not for performance upgrades but for maintenance?
    Many people in Denver go to Super Rupair for tuning etc. - not sure about maintenance though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  12. #446
    Registered User bellhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    56
    Thanks I tried checking their website and their service tab is not working so I'll need to give them a call to see.
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

  13. #447
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by bellhammer View Post
    Thanks I tried checking their website and their service tab is not working so I'll need to give them a call to see.
    No need to drive all the way to Boulder when you have Suba Performance right here in metro Denver.

  14. #448
    Registered User bellhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    56
    true. I'm over in Aurora so everythings a drive for me.
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

  15. #449
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,518
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes I pay 68 for that car. I am 28 tho, house insurance and multiple car.


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  16. #450
    Registered User bellhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Aurora, CO
    Posts
    56
    Huh...the house and multi-car discount must be it. Cuz I'm 28 also. But I rent and only have one car.
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •