Ninfourteener's Progress Thread + Pics - Page 27
Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Ninfourteener's Progress Thread + Pics within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ninefourteener ... This Summer we went on three different vacations...... a week in Wash. state, a week ...

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post

This Summer we went on three different vacations...... a week in Wash. state, a week in Yellowstone, and a week in St. Louis. The Tribeca was invaluable to have for the space, the comfort, cargo area, etc. Not to mention carrying around my 180 lb dog.

The wife commutes 60-70 miles per day.... she drove the Tribeca from 19k miles to 50k miles in 1.5 years.... ouch. That equals an average of 20k milers per year.... which equals a depreciation rate greater than the debt depreciation from the monthy payments..... that equals being upside down on a car....
    Makes sense.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by STiled View Post
    I totally agree with you both about domestic autos...I mean I love the old muscle cars to death (always wanted a champion orange 67 charger or a 68 camaro ss) but as far the stuff today, majority of it is garbage. Yeah the higher priced stuff, vettes, stangs, srt8's are ok, but tell me where I can get a domestic that boasts the performance and quality of and STi for 35K? (Rhetorical..you cant )
    Hell, I have a VW GLI in my garage that is still running on its original motor with just over 260K miles!! I doubt highly any domestic could claim that.

Until GM can step up to the plate....they will continue to loose this battle in my eyes.
    The Cobalt SS posted a faster lap time around the 'Ring than the STi and costs $10k less

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    The Cobalt SS posted a faster lap time around the 'Ring than the STi and costs $10k less
    For which STi? an 08? Doubt it would be faster than an 04. 260hp FWD vs a 300hp AWD, no chance. Also how will that SS be running when it breaks the 100K mark?
    Sleeper stylie...gt30 + tmic

Wrinklechops
    For which STi? an 08? Doubt it would be faster than an 04. 260hp FWD vs a 300hp AWD, no chance. Also how will that SS be running when it breaks the 100K mark?
    Dude, I'm not joking. Look it up. The 2004 STi ran like an 8:23 and the Cobalt SS ran a 8:22 or something. Close, but really it shouldn't be that close. And the Cobalt SS ran on a wet track!

YouTube - 2008 Turbocharged Chevy Cobalt SS (full version)

8:18 Lexus IS-F
    8:22 Nissan Skyline GT-R R32
    8:22.85 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Turbo
    8:22 BMW M3 E46
    8:22 BMW M Coupe E36/8 H
    8:24 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    8:25 Lotus Exige S

You have to admit, for the Cobalt SS to even be NEAR those other cars times is impressive. I mean, Lotus Exige? Lexus IS-F? M3? STi? The Cobalt SS costs 1/2 as much as some of those cars for c's sake!

And the full powertrain warranty is good to 100,000, unlike my Subaru that was dead at 60k. How many people own their vehicles past 100,000 miles? It's really considered the life of the vehicle at that point. Most people trade them in or have them paid off by that point and just sell them private party. I mean come on, if you buy a brand new car and put 100,000 miles on it, you're either doing some serious driving or you've had it for YEARS. And I would much rather have a full powertrain warranty to 100,000 miles than 60,000 (that I had to pay extra for) as I have gone through 3 engines with my car so as to say I pray every time I drive that thing that it won't blow up!

Give some credit to GM, seriously.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 08-28-2009 at 01:04 AM.

^^^Sun shines on a dogs ass some days...even pitchers occasionally hit a home run in the Major Leagues

But lets also look at all those cars...I'm still not going to pay for a car that looks like absolute butthole. I'm sorry, I just can't give GM any credit for something other than the Cadillac CTS-V and the Corvette
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Chevy Cobalt SS = Ugly ass turbocharged Cavalier. You can't throw a turbo, a FMIC, and a gigantic wing on a Friggin Cavalier and call it a "supercar"..... sorry. It's a polished turd.. thats it. No matter how shiny it is... it's still just a turd.

It's an Impressive car, agreed, but much like the Neon SRT4, it's japanese technology, that depreciates like a POS USDM car, simply because it says "Chevy" on it.

I could buy a $4500 cavalier.... drop $3k or $4k into it, and build a car that would STOMP the SS..... so I'm damn sure not going to spend $24K on it.... It's still just a cavalier.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 08-28-2009 at 07:59 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Dude, I'm not joking. Look it up. The 2004 STi ran like an 8:23 and the Cobalt SS ran a 8:22 or something. Close, but really it shouldn't be that close. And the Cobalt SS ran on a wet track!

YouTube - 2008 Turbocharged Chevy Cobalt SS (full version)

8:18 Lexus IS-F
    8:22 Nissan Skyline GT-R R32
    8:22.85 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Turbo
    8:22 BMW M3 E46
    8:22 BMW M Coupe E36/8 H
    8:24 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    8:25 Lotus Exige S

You have to admit, for the Cobalt SS to even be NEAR those other cars times is impressive. I mean, Lotus Exige? Lexus IS-F? M3? STi? The Cobalt SS costs 1/2 as much as some of those cars for c's sake!

And the full powertrain warranty is good to 100,000, unlike my Subaru that was dead at 60k. How many people own their vehicles past 100,000 miles? It's really considered the life of the vehicle at that point. Most people trade them in or have them paid off by that point and just sell them private party. I mean come on, if you buy a brand new car and put 100,000 miles on it, you're either doing some serious driving or you've had it for YEARS. And I would much rather have a full powertrain warranty to 100,000 miles than 60,000 (that I had to pay extra for) as I have gone through 3 engines with my car so as to say I pray every time I drive that thing that it won't blow up!

Give some credit to GM, seriously.
    That was a nice run (would love to take my car out on there haha) but I did not see any time posted in that video? Sure it maybe faster than its twin from a few years back, but like others have said, no matter how much you dress it up, or add to it....a shiny terd is still a terd. I would not buy one. Credit? I do give credit to GM, just not for the cobalt

100K warranty? OK lets think about this for a second....why would you offer a warranty like that? Its because you know that your car is prone to have issues for the first 100K miles of its life and intead of people entirely hating the car they purchased, you provide them with protection. This lets them sleep better at night knowing their wallet wont be raped. Jeep did the same thing. They give a warranty like this because they know your gonna need it.

Subaru offers a 60K to cover any manufacturer mishaps (every brands has them, no machine is perfect). But all in all they know that if you have not had an issue by the 60K mark then you are in good shape. Shows confidence by the manufacturers. Hell look on the road today...what old chevys do you see? Old muscle cars and trucks right? thats where chevy did some nice work, kudos. But their compacts? not too many. I see many old subarus (and vws hehe) that still grace the road with all the new ones. All in all to each their own right? I know what compact I would by and it sure isn't made by GM.
    Sleeper stylie...gt30 + tmic

Give me a Hummer H1 and I'll just run the fakker over and bam, no more Cobalt

I win!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Wrinklechops
    Chevy Cobalt SS = Ugly ass turbocharged Cavalier. You can't throw a turbo, a FMIC, and a gigantic wing on a Friggin Cavalier and call it a "supercar"..... sorry. It's a polished turd.. thats it. No matter how shiny it is... it's still just a turd.

It's an Impressive car, agreed, but much like the Neon SRT4, it's japanese technology, that depreciates like a POS USDM car, simply because it says "Chevy" on it.

I could buy a $4500 cavalier.... drop $3k or $4k into it, and build a car that would STOMP the SS..... so I'm damn sure not going to spend $24K on it.... It's still just a cavalier.
    My friend, the Swiss invented the turbo and GM was the first to put it into production

The first production turbocharged automobile engines came from General Motors in 1962
    Let's wrap our minds around that one

No one ever said the Cobalt SS was a "supercar". For that matter, the STi and M3 aren't either (similar times around the Nurburgring as the Cobalt SS).

I won't argue with you on the looks of it, but that's subjective I think. There are many who aren't too thrilled with what Subaru did to the STi starting in 2008. Does that detract from its performance figures? No.

The Cobalt SS shares nothing with the Cavalier. I know you're into build projects, so I propose something: Let's get everyone on ClubWRX to chip in $20 to get you that $3000 or $4000 to build a car that will "STOMP" the Cobalt SS. It has to beat it in everything; braking, handling, power, options, etc. Good luck

$3000 or $4000 wouldn't even let you touch the suspension and wheels alone on the Cobalt SS

100K warranty? OK lets think about this for a second....why would you offer a warranty like that? Its because you know that your car is prone to have issues for the first 100K miles of its life and intead of people entirely hating the car they purchased, you provide them with protection. This lets them sleep better at night knowing their wallet wont be raped. Jeep did the same thing. They give a warranty like this because they know your gonna need it.

Subaru offers a 60K to cover any manufacturer mishaps (every brands has them, no machine is perfect). But all in all they know that if you have not had an issue by the 60K mark then you are in good shape. Shows confidence by the manufacturers. Hell look on the road today...what old chevys do you see? Old muscle cars and trucks right? thats where chevy did some nice work, kudos. But their compacts? not too many. I see many old subarus (and vws hehe) that still grace the road with all the new ones. All in all to each their own right? I know what compact I would by and it sure isn't made by GM.
    I see what you're trying to say, but in a sense that's somewhat backwards thinking. Why would a car company offer a warranty for a vehicle that they knew was going to have problems and they'd be constantly repairing it? Look all I'm saying is no matter what way you look at it, a warranty is a good thing. It's good for sales. You can't look at a 100,000 mile warranty and go "Oh well I'm NEVER buying anything from them because that must mean they SUCK!" lol

Let me just play devil's advocate. I love my WRX, but let me tell you it has been one major headache of ownership and I would gladly welcome a warranty to 100,000 on it. Since I bought it with 27,000 miles and the extra "Gold" Subaru Security Warranty extending it to 60,000 miles I have gone through:

3 engines (rods, rings, bearings, pistons, oil pumps, short block, etc) – Subaru dealer finally told me after the 3rd and final engine repair that my short block had “porosity issues” hmm…
    2 clutches
    2 flywheels
    1 power steering system
    1 turbo (at time of purchase)
    3-4-gear synchro
    2 wheel bearings (w/ spindle/knuckle)
    2 turbo inlet hoses
    1 radiator

I refer you to my thread on it in fact: To the previous owner of: JF1GD29645G516470

So much for the famed Japanese reliability there

The stigma of American cars and their longevity (or lack thereof) is a thing of the past. You can go out on the road today and find many American vehicles still, with plenty over 100,000 miles. And as you said all cars break, it's their nature to do so.

What I want to conclude with is that every car company (German, American, Japanese, etc) makes decent vehicles that are worth looking into. We should never take the approach of "well it's not ______ so I'm not even going to give it a chance".

Why not be a little proud of something we made here in America instead of just listing all the negatives?

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Give me a Hummer H1 and I'll just run the fakker over and bam, no more Cobalt

I win!
    Hey at least that way when the inevitable floods come, you can drive safely in up to 30 inches of water while all the poor econo-electric-hybrid cars will be toast
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 08-28-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: save the planet

My friend, the Swiss invented the turbo and GM was the first to put it into production
    LOL... What does that have to do with anything?? LOL

No one ever said the Cobalt SS was a "supercar".
    The "supercar" comment was implied. You beat STIs, Skylines, and Lotuses (what is the plural of "Lotus"? LOL).... then you are officially in "supercar" status... at least in my book... even if your car doesn't match the $250k pricetag. A LOT of the reason the Cobalt did so well, was probably the tires on the car. Subaru puts CRAP tires on their cars... thats why the EVOs always beat them in magazine tests.... but in a track-situation, often the STIs are much quicker.

The Cobalt SS shares nothing with the Cavalier.
    Other than the way it looks? LOL

I know you're into build projects, so I propose something: Let's get everyone on ClubWRX to chip in $20 to get you that $3000 or $4000 to build a car that will "STOMP" the Cobalt SS. It has to beat it in everything; braking, handling, power, options, etc. Good luck .
    Not that I would EVER waste my time building anything made by GM built after 1980... but sure.. just for poops and giggles

Here's my car.. a top of the line 1989 Cavalier Z-24, Mechanic owned... 3.1 V6, I believe they were rated at arounf 145 hp... low mileage, lightweight convertible. Only $2000, because it's a Chevy and worthless. I owned a 92 Sunbird (in 1994) with the same motor, and it's essentially the same car.. quite "peppy" even stock.
    Cars for Sale: 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe in CHICAGO , IL 60620: Convertible Details - 266522765 - AutoTrader.com

Brakes - slotted brembo rotors - $300
    Stoptech braided lines + racing fluid + racing pads = $250
    ..... Better than stock Cobalt SS. Total $550

Coilovers - $1400 + weight reduction (free)
    Coilovers for the Chevrolet Cavalier from HorsepowerFreaks

+ Tires ($500) = Handles better than a stock Cobalt SS.

Forged pistons/rods-crank, Head work - $1000

Turbo kit - $1500

Tune - $400

... Now it's MUCH more powerful than a Cobalt SS, it stops better, and it handles better.

Wheels? Who cares? The car is still ugly Tires are cheaper on 15s, and they work just as well.

Car - $2000
    Brakes $550
    Suspension + tires - $2000 (ish)
    Engine parts - $1000
    Turbo kit - $1500
    Tune - $400

Total - $7,450

$7450 on a dumb-ass CAVALIER that will STOMP a Cobalt SS... on the dragstrip... or on a racetrack.

... and it's a car that won't EVER be worth half of that.... because it says "Chevy" on it.... so it would be pointless to ever buy it in the first place.... Much like the new Cobalt SS

I think the "point" is that although yes, the new Cobalt SS has impressive performance figures.. It's still going to lose 50% of it's value in under 3 years. Unlike the ultra-rare, "low-cost, high HP" cars of the 70s like the NovaSS, Chevy is pumping them out like crazy because it's the only thing they can sell right now. They are ALL OVER THE PLACE Great, except now because there are so many of them, it has lost any potential collectibilty value AND it's monetary value.

The only difference between a new Cobalt SS... and the "project car" I just built..... is age.

They are both polished turds..... the Cobalt is just newer.

... and in 10 years.... an 09 WRX will be worth more than TWICE what a Cobalt SS is worth (if the Cobalt is still running). Compare a 90k mile well kept 1999 Impreza RS, and a well kept 1999 Cavalier Z24. The Impreza would be worth... maybe 6 grand? Maybe more? The cavalier isd worth what.... maybe 2 or 3 grand?

The 09 WRX and Cobalt will have had similar performance #s when new..... and similar pricetags when new. The only USDM thing that "really" has any value.... would be the top of the line Corvettes and Cadillacs.... maybe some limited production Rousch Mustangs, etc. Otherwise, everything made in America is essentially "disposable".

^^^^ THAT..... right there...... is why USDM companies are suffering.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 08-28-2009 at 01:44 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08

Wrinklechops
    LOL... What does that have to do with anything?? LOL

Because you said it was Japanese technology rebranded. I wanted you to know your history.

The "supercar" comment was implied. You beat STIs, Skylines, and Lotuses (what is the plural of "Lotus"? LOL).... then you are officially in "supercar" status... at least in my book... even if your car doesn't match the $250k pricetag. A LOT of the reason the Cobalt did so well, was probably the tires on the car. Subaru puts CRAP tires on their cars... thats why the EVOs always beat them in magazine tests.... but in a track-situation, often the STIs are much quicker.

The supercar comment was not implied. Supercars to me are cars that cost over $100,000 sorry. A supercar in my book is something I will never probably own.

Other than the way it looks? LOL

Dude that's hilarious! I can't stop laughing!

Not that I would EVER waste my time building anything made by GM built after 1980... but sure.. just for poops and giggles

You're right, GM SUCKS!!!! LET'S ALL BUY JAPANESE CARS CUZ AMERICA SUCKS!!!!!

Here's my car.. a top of the line 1989 Cavalier Z-24, Mechanic owned... 3.1 V6, I believe they were rated at around 145 hp... low mileage, lightweight convertible. Only $2000, because it's a Chevy and worthless.

Again with the anti-American car sentiment. Tsk tsk

I owned a 92 Sunbird (in 1994) with the same motor, and it's essentially the same car.. quite "peppy" even stock.

Brakes - slotted brembo rotors - $300

Wow, rotors! I see you've done your homework...or not. The Cobalt SS comes with 4 piston BREMBO calipers, much like the STi. You will NOT be getting that performance for $300. Seriously come on.

Stoptech braided lines + racing fluid + racing pads = $250
    ..... Better than stock Cobalt SS. Total $550

Again, see above statement. Lines and pads and fluid are not going to make up the difference in performance you get from huge piston Brembo calipers and rotors.

Coilovers - $1400 + weight reduction (free)

I'll give you this one. Don't forget the Cobalt SS comes with 24mm sway bars and traction control stock. Did I say stock? That's right, not even our cars have that.

+ Tires ($500) = Handles better than a stock Cobalt SS.

You've got to be on crack. $500 for 18x7.5 super high performance summer tires?

Forged pistons/rods-crank, Head work - $1000

I think the time alone would cost you more than that

Turbo kit - $1500
    Tune - $400

You say "turbo kit" - does this include some halfway decent run of the mill turbo? I mean heck, a brand new VF39 goes for what, $800+? And what about an intercooler? And piping? And re-routing the oil and coolant system to accommodate a turbo setup? Not to mention, you say $400 for a custom open source tune? What if there isn't one available? What if you have to buy a totally separate EM system that costs $700-1000 alone, plus getting it to a tuner who can make it run right?

... Now it's MUCH more powerful than a Cobalt SS, it stops better, and it handles better.

And where are the injectors, fuel pump, gauges, etc to go along with this MASSIVE HP BEAST?

Wheels? Who cares? The car is still ugly Tires are cheaper on 15s, and they work just as well.

Car - $2000
    Brakes $550
    Suspension + tires - $2000 (ish)
    Engine parts - $1000
    Turbo kit - $1500
    Tune - $400

Total - $7,450

$7450 on a car that will STOMP a Cobalt SS... on the dragstrip... or on a racetrack.

... and it's a car that won't EVER be worth half of that.... because it says "Chevy" on it.... so it would be pointless to ever buy it in the first place.... Much like the new Cobalt SS
    I'm glad you think so highly of American products. It's definitely hard to reason with you to get you to even admit it's a good car for $22k. You don't have to like it or want to buy it, but you can appreciate the bang-for-the-buck factor. Not everyone wants to buy a car and soup it up to beat X or Y car. Some people like a good car stock with a decent warranty.

And I hate to break it to you and know I'll get flak for it here, but Subarus aren't God's gift to the automobile industry. My only quarrel with the Cobalt SS is that it's FWD. Other than that, you will NOT find a car (production) to equal its performance for that price. I rest my case.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 08-28-2009 at 01:26 PM.

^^^ We're not fighting my friend...... it's all good

I'm bitter.... you're right. I've lost a LOT of money on USDM cars trading them in... which frustrates me to no end.

Yes... it is a FANTASTIC "bang for the buck" car... no doubt. It's just "short-term".

My argument... is that is has no real "value". In my book, "value" means a lot of things.. collectibility.... resale value... performance... etc.

I'm a HUGE patriot... I love America... but I'm frustrated at what has happened to USDM vehicles. Taking all of my "value" characteristics into consideration... I really do think that Subaru makes the best "value" for my money.... even if I am paying a bit more for it new.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158

Wrinklechops
    ^^^ We're not fighting my friend...... it's all good

I'm bitter.... you're right. I've lost a LOT of money on USDM cars trading them in... which frustrates me to no end.

Yes... it is a FANTASTIC "bang for the buck" car... no doubt. It's just "short-term".

My argument... is that is has no real "value". In my book, "value" means a lot of things.. collectibility.... resale value... performance... etc.

I'm a HUGE patriot... I love America... but I'm frustrated at what has happened to USDM vehicles. Taking all of my "value" characteristics into consideration... I really do think that Subaru makes the best "value" for my money.... even if I am paying a bit more for it new.

Fair enough I figure this would be an appropriate time to rant off my horrible experience at the Chevy dealer today.

Before you bite my head off, yes I know, I tried trading in the WRX today for a Cobalt SS. Bad move on my part. I wasn't even sure I wanted to do a trade. Long story short, they took my keys just to grab the VIN # and mileage. I SPECIFICALLY told them NOT to drive it. What happened? When all was said and done I go out to the parking lot and I couldn't even find my car! They had parked it on the other side of the lot. It was unlocked, the seat position was moved and the radio was changed. Big deal? Maybe not, but it upset me. I confronted the manager who drove my car. He treated me like dog crap. I respectfully said I didn't appreciate what he did and he just went OFF on me with stuff like "well Colin, how am I supposed to know what you like your seat set at? How am I supposed to know what radio station you like to listen to?" etc etc. I told him I was not told the vehicle was going to be driven and the guy was an overall smart*** by saying things like "Well Colin have you ever bought a car before? Well then you know they drive it to make sure it works" - UGH! I asked to see the paper that I supposedly signed authorizing them to drive it and he flat out refused! He said stuff like "you know what, I don't have time for this Colin please get out of my office"

I'm furious right now.

^^^ Dealerships generally suck period, whether they are selling USDM or JDM. Or German for that matter...

Any warranty period is worthless if you have to deal with someone like SOA denying your service. Luckily I haven't had any issues with the Subie (knock on wood). Then again, I haven't had any issues with the GTO either (again knock on wood).

Anyway, the you have to remember with your WRX, ninefourteener, is yes, you could have bought an STI, but now you have a car that is tailored made to your liking and your having a great time modding it.

That's the way I look at it for my "project" anyway...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)