Ninfourteener's Progress Thread + Pics - Page 26
Page 26 of 59 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Ninfourteener's Progress Thread + Pics within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Wrinklechops I should do that, try running the VIN by Subaru of America or something.... good idea ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    I should do that, try running the VIN by Subaru of America or something.... good idea

PS: Why did you sell that beautiful STi Limited? Seems like a keeper for sure.
    Well...it became a financial game. I bought the car when I was living at my parents place. But then a year and a half later, I decided it was time to move out because life was stale and I was putting CRAZY miles onto the STI with a 32x2 mile commute to work, plus playing soccer all over South Jersey within a 75 mile radius. It was only a year and a half old and I already had near 45,000 on the clock. So I moved closer to Philly and knocked my commute down to 10 miles each way.

So moving out, rent + utilities went up. Less money for car...started using credit card...then oh hell...insurance didn't like moving closer to Philly, so that doubled to almost $300 a month when I was only paying $140 a month when at my parents. Then on top of that, I needed new tires (all I had were winters), new brakes, 50k service was ready to be done (more oil changes, needed the tranny fluid change, etc)

In all, I just couldn't afford it anymore...well I could, but not without a few sacrifices to living my life. So I sold her and got a used 350z which is almost half in insurance and my car payments are $150 less...so, I'm saving like $300+ a month in changing my car...

Do I miss the STI? More than you can imagine...I put my heart and sole into making it mine, and to making it a 12 second car, not to mention my suspension, my stereo, my completely worked brakes, and everything else. But...I'm getting to a better place financially. Can I get another in the future? You damn right I can...and you damn right I will

Sorry 914 for the brief hijacking, but the story just kept coming
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well...it became a financial game. I bought the car when I was living at my parents place. But then a year and a half later, I decided it was time to move out because life was stale and I was putting CRAZY miles onto the STI with a 32x2 mile commute to work, plus playing soccer all over South Jersey within a 75 mile radius. It was only a year and a half old and I already had near 45,000 on the clock. So I moved closer to Philly and knocked my commute down to 10 miles each way.

So moving out, rent + utilities went up. Less money for car...started using credit card...then oh hell...insurance didn't like moving closer to Philly, so that doubled to almost $300 a month when I was only paying $140 a month when at my parents. Then on top of that, I needed new tires (all I had were winters), new brakes, 50k service was ready to be done (more oil changes, needed the tranny fluid change, etc)

In all, I just couldn't afford it anymore...well I could, but not without a few sacrifices to living my life. So I sold her and got a used 350z which is almost half in insurance and my car payments are $150 less...so, I'm saving like $300+ a month in changing my car...

Do I miss the STI? More than you can imagine...I put my heart and sole into making it mine, and to making it a 12 second car, not to mention my suspension, my stereo, my completely worked brakes, and everything else. But...I'm getting to a better place financially. Can I get another in the future? You damn right I can...and you damn right I will

Sorry 914 for the brief hijacking, but the story just kept coming
    Good story. I feel your pain. I bought my car for $23k in 2007. I owe $18k on it still to this day. I have an 18% interest rate and I feel like I'll never get out from under the darn thing. 68k miles now, and I'm just praying nothing major breaks. I'm actually considering bankruptcy. I hate Chase Auto Finance.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    ^^^ No worries man

I'm in a position financially now where I could upgrade to a new STI... and it KILLS me not to.

But I bought the WRX brand new on a 6-year note (Jan of 06), I always pay extra... and owe right at exactly $10k on it.

It's worth 15K.... rock bottom trade-in value..... and thats if I bring it back to stock... then I could make another couple grand on the parts alone...

....... But....... a new car note would put me past my retirement date from the military... Got just over 4 years left... and I'm not trying to be another idiot that hits 20 years... is drowning in debt, and hasn't even so much as attempted getting an education, you know? The they are STUCK going past 20 years because they CAN'T do anything else.... no way... not me.

I know all about having the car bug... it's all good man Whenever I get the urge to trade up... I just go sand the Brat some more or something--LOL

..... or fly to Friggin New Jersey to buy a quirky-ass, funny-looking window having, 15 year old car that everyone thinks is a Ford Probe with a body kit--LOL
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 08-26-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    ^^^ No worries man

I'm in a position financially now where I could upgrade to a new STI... and it KILLS me not to.

But I bought the WRX brand new on a 6-year note (Jan of 06), I always pay extra... and owe right at exactly $10k on it.

It's worth 15K.... rock bottom trade-in value..... and thats if I bring it back to stock... then I could make another couple grand on the parts alone...

....... But....... a new car note would put me past my retirement date from the military... Got just over 4 years left... and I'm not trying to be another idiot that hits 20 years... is drowning in debt, and hasn't even so much as attempted getting an education, you know? The they are STUCK going past 20 years because they CAN'T do anything else.... no way... not me.

I know all about having the car bug... it's all good man Whenever I get the urge to trade up... I just go sand the Brat some more or something--LOL

..... or fly to Friggin New Jersey to buy a quirky-ass, funny-looking window having, 15 year old car that everyone thinks is a Ford Probe with a body kit--LOL

What was your interest rate if you don't mind? I got screwed by a nice Subaru dealer right outside of Fort Lewis. They prey on Soldiers like they're vultures and we're dead animals. Well, I guess that sort of fits the bill

Got 5.9% on the WRX (new) in Jan of 2006 - 6 yr note
    $398 payment
    Got 6.5% on the Tribeca (19k miles) in Jan of 08 - 6 yr note
    $456 payment

Both the SVX and the Brat I paid cash for

Preying on soldiers/Airmen/Marines/Sailors... that's typical throughout the world man. Just gotta be smarter than the finance guy... and know when to walk. We walked away from 10 different Tribeca deals before buying one.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 08-26-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08

Wrinklechops
    Got 5.9% on the WRX (new) in Jan of 2006 - 6 yr note
    $398 payment
    Got 6.5% on the Tribeca (19k miles) in Jan of 08 - 6 yr note
    $456 payment

Both the SVX and the Brat I paid cash for

Preying on soldiers/Airmen/Marines/Sailors... that's typical throughout the world man. Just gotta be smarter than the finance guy... and know when to walk. We walked away from 10 different Tribeca deals before buying one.

Wow, those are good deals. I seem to be the only one I know that has an interest rate for my car that you should only see on a credit card or something (18.19%!)

I learned my lesson the hard way...

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Wow, those are good deals. I seem to be the only one I know that has an interest rate for my car that you should only see on a credit card or something (18.19%!)

I learned my lesson the hard way...
    Wow, that's really bad. Sorry.

The real reason for this post was to....subscribed! You make nice threads, Matt, fun reads.

Question: Explain the logic to me of buying the SVX for the wife to commute in. I never really understood the whole "keep miles off the 'nice car'" thing. It's so it has higher resale value later, right?
    Do you expect to recover the $4500 spent on the SVX by keeping miles off the Tribeca?
    Why are you paying ~ $500/mo for the Tribeca to sit in the garage; what's the point of owning a car you don't intend to drive?

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post

The real reason for this post was to....subscribed! You make nice threads, Matt, fun reads.

Question: Explain the logic to me of buying the SVX for the wife to commute in. I never really understood the whole "keep miles off the 'nice car'" thing. It's so it has higher resale value later, right?
    Do you expect to recover the $4500 spent on the SVX by keeping miles off the Tribeca?
    Why are you paying ~ $500/mo for the Tribeca to sit in the garage; what's the point of owning a car you don't intend to drive?
    +1

He has a point. Never thought of it that way. In fact, that applies to numerous people I know with multiple cars that apply that same logic. Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post

Thanks!! (I think)?? LOL

This Summer we went on three different vacations...... a week in Wash. state, a week in Yellowstone, and a week in St. Louis. The Tribeca was invaluable to have for the space, the comfort, cargo area, etc. Not to mention carrying around my 180 lb dog.

The wife commutes 60-70 miles per day.... she drove the Tribeca from 19k miles to 50k miles in 1.5 years.... ouch. That equals an average of 20k milers per year.... which equals a depreciation rate greater than the debt depreciation from the monthy payments..... that equals being upside down on a car.

We needed a commuter..... but it snows like crazy here, so AWD is a necessity. We could have bought a $1000 turd and just driven it until it broke.... but it would have no style, very little reliability, etc. Just because it's a commuter doesn't mean it can't be a cool car. I wouldn't normally buy a 15 year old car for it's "reliability", except the shop in NJ dumped over $10k worth of work and maintenance and upkeep on the SVX, only to find out that there was no market for the car, and the economy sucks.

They started selling the car for $8500..... no one bought it... so 4 months later, I bought it for $4500.... with no regrets. Now we have a cool-ass commuter... that will probably last us for YEARS. Will I get my money back out of it? Maybe most of it.. if it's still running well in another 2-3 years though, I'm probably going to give it to my daughter when she starts driving.

We still drive the Tribeca regularly, when we go out as a family.... but when it's just my wife and 2y/o son commuting to work, she takes the SVX.

The brat? Um..... I saw it on Ebay and really wanted one because I'm impulsive----LOL
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 08-27-2009 at 07:45 AM.

How did Chase Auto Finance eff you on that high of a rate? On my STI, I had 5.9% as well. I am however sitting on 10% now for the Z, but thats because its a 6 year old used car....Though it was a great rate at the time, I still owed $15,000 on it...but already coming into the Z, I only $10,000, so I knocked some debt down and have much lower monthly payments on insurance and car payment.

I know I lost money on the STI because they only gave me $20k for it. They turned around and sold it for $26,500. bastards.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I know I lost money on the STI because they only gave me $20k for it. They turned around and sold it for $26,500. bastards.
    THAT ^^^^ Is exactly why I'm so conscious of resale values, depreciation rates, etc. I've owned 32 cars in the past 17 years..... You rarely "make" money on a car, but if you can keep it "even" with what you owe, you're in pretty good shape. If you're in good shape, you can sell privately, and the BUY privately, and save an assload of $$$. Dealerships PREY on people that fall victim to this.

That's also why I will literally BASH USDM cars all day long. I lost $10k on a USDM car that was 11 months old once.... in my younger, more stupid days.

My next door neighbor..... owes nearly $15,000..... on a 2001 Ford Expedition--LOL . They keep trading in POS USDM cars that they are upside down on.... only to buy another overpriced USDM car. The Expedition is worth MAYBE $4500. Talk about being SCREWED. Plus, the damn thing has only like 80K miles..... and it breaks every other week. Ford.... gotta love em.
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 08-27-2009 at 08:06 AM.

THAT ^^^^ Is exactly why I'm so conscious of resale values, depreciation rates, etc. I've owned 32 cars in the past 17 years..... You rarely "make" money on a car, but if you can keep it "even" with what you owe, you're in pretty good shape. If you're in good shape, you can sell privately, and the BUY privately, and save an assload of $$$. Dealerships PREY on people that fall victim to this.

That's also why I will literally BASH USDM cars all day long. I lost $10k on a USDM car that was 11 months old once.... in my younger, more stupid days.

My next door neighbor..... owes nearly $15,000..... on a 2001 Ford Expedition--LOL . They keep trading in POS USDM cars that they are upside down on.... only to buy another overpriced USDM car. The Expedition is worth MAYBE $4500. Talk about being SCREWED. Plus, the damn thing has only like 80K miles..... and it breaks every other week. Ford.... gotta love em.
    Yeah I tried selling my STI for roughly 3-4 months via Nasioc and nobody could pull the strings. And right when I had a serious buyer lined up, I got dinged in the rear by a Porsche Cayenne when I was stopped at a stop sign. It only scratched the paint on the rear bumper and broke a taillight, but it was enough to kill the deal. I ultimately dropped the price from $25,000 to $21,500...but had no takers

But hell yeah on never owning a Domestic. I love my country and will support businesses and trade and such, but I just can't see the whole "buying American" thing when GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc all make such an inferior product compared to Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, etc. I mean, if I could afford to get the top of the line Domestic, like a Mustang Cobra or Corvette...then perhaps I would. But until these companies can show they can make a quality car that can last past 100,000k miles (consistently) then perhaps I'd consider.

I totally agree with you both about domestic autos...I mean I love the old muscle cars to death (always wanted a champion orange 67 charger or a 68 camaro ss) but as far the stuff today, majority of it is garbage. Yeah the higher priced stuff, vettes, stangs, srt8's are ok, but tell me where I can get a domestic that boasts the performance and quality of and STi for 35K? (Rhetorical..you cant )
    Hell, I have a VW GLI in my garage that is still running on its original motor with just over 260K miles!! I doubt highly any domestic could claim that.

Until GM can step up to the plate....they will continue to loose this battle in my eyes.
    Sleeper stylie...gt30 + tmic

Wrinklechops
    How did Chase Auto Finance eff you on that high of a rate? On my STI, I had 5.9% as well. I am however sitting on 10% now for the Z, but thats because its a 6 year old used car....Though it was a great rate at the time, I still owed $15,000 on it...but already coming into the Z, I only $10,000, so I knocked some debt down and have much lower monthly payments on insurance and car payment.

I was just young and stupid I guess. Traded in my old '98 BMW 328i DINAN for the WRX, and they ganked me bad. I don't know why I signed that darn contract. I paid $23k for my car with 27k miles on it and now it's worth about $11k and I still owe $18k.

Wrinklechops
    Yeah I tried selling my STI for roughly 3-4 months via Nasioc and nobody could pull the strings. And right when I had a serious buyer lined up, I got dinged in the rear by a Porsche Cayenne when I was stopped at a stop sign. It only scratched the paint on the rear bumper and broke a taillight, but it was enough to kill the deal. I ultimately dropped the price from $25,000 to $21,500...but had no takers

But hell yeah on never owning a Domestic. I love my country and will support businesses and trade and such, but I just can't see the whole "buying American" thing when GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc all make such an inferior product compared to Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, etc. I mean, if I could afford to get the top of the line Domestic, like a Mustang Cobra or Corvette...then perhaps I would. But until these companies can show they can make a quality car that can last past 100,000k miles (consistently) then perhaps I'd consider.

Come on now, don't be a hater. Sure we don't make the AWD rockets like Mistubishi and Subaru, but we do have some really nice cars. For example:

The new '08 Cobalt SS now has 260hp. It has just set the record for a FWD car around the Nuburgring at 8:22.85 !!!
    0-60mph - 5.5 sec
    1/4 mile - 14.0 sec @ 102mph
    Top Speed - 160mph
    BASE PRICE - only $22,995 !!!!!

Try finding a comparable Jap car with 4 piston BREMBO brakes, Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting STOCK and 18x7.5 tires for that price