Ninfourteener's Progress Thread + Pics - Page 17
Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Ninfourteener's Progress Thread + Pics within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Acrdys I wanna paint my rims black... They look good on your car and must look good ...

Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys View Post
    I wanna paint my rims black... They look good on your car and must look good on mine! Except I want a red lip to match my badge. How to paint a red lip... >.<
    Thanks man. Yeah, a red lip would look nice (being that you have that theme)...I would talk to a local powder coater about masking that lip.
    My silver BBSs had been macked a little by previous owner, so I chose to do gloss black cuz they add an extra layer of clear coat which soaks/fills the little groves from the "mackage". It did not cost much, $150 for all four rims. Make sure they know they are not steel....very important when it comes to the baking. Post some pics when you get it done.

Personally it was one of the best things I have done to the car, gives it a sick tuner look and helps hide brake dust.
    Sleeper stylie...gt30 + tmic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by STiled View Post
    Yeah I have the Brembo cross drilled and I want to get the braided steel lines. Even with stock lines, my ride stops real nice...can feel the grab more as the brakes heat up, kinda crazy, you can check yourself if your not careful, lol. Downside....brake dust ahhhhh. Thats why you get black rims

You can get 4 brembos for the price of 2 stock replacements, at least thats the story for the STi.
    Back when I had my BMW 328i, I could get Brembos drilled and slotted. For my 05 WRX now it seems you can only get either/or, not both. I went with drilled because although they say slotted give you more bite which = more stop, the drilled dissipate water faster should you ever need to stop in the rain.

I bet the difference between slotted and drilled is marginal. For those that race often then they might sing a different tune...but for me cross drilled are great. Yeah water is not a deciding factor where i live (unfortunately) Consider this too, my buddy has StopTech slotted brakes on his tuned passat and you can feel the pulsing/slots in the brake pedal. Only ever seen drilled AND slotted on supercars. What a STi is not worthy, come on! lol.

I bet the difference between slotted and drilled is marginal. For those that race often then they might sing a different tune...but for me cross drilled are great. Yeah water is not a deciding factor where i live (unfortunately) Consider this too, my buddy has StopTech slotted brakes on his tuned passat and you can feel the pulsing/slots in the brake pedal. Only ever seen drilled AND slotted on supercars. What a STi is not worthy, come on! lol.
    Unless your going to spend big big bucks for cross drilled rotors i heard dont get them because they will crack, i have slotted and zinc coated rotors on my 07 wrx and they look nice and perform great, i mean if you have the money slotted and cross drilled are great but dont cheap out
    i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Emsbuff124 View Post
    Unless your going to spend big big bucks for cross drilled rotors i heard dont get them because they will crack, i have slotted and zinc coated rotors on my 07 wrx and they look nice and perform great, i mean if you have the money slotted and cross drilled are great but dont cheap out
    It's not as large a concern these days with the cracking, and especially if you don't "Track" the car, then it's no big deal as long as you stay with name brands
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    It's not as large a concern these days with the cracking, and especially if you don't "Track" the car, then it's no big deal as long as you stay with name brands

I agree. If you have an STi, it came with Brembos, just stick with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Emsbuff124 View Post
    If memory serves me correct...it was the same price for slotted or cross drilled. Just a matter of preference. I bought mine from tire rack

Wrinklechops
    If memory serves me correct...it was the same price for slotted or cross drilled. Just a matter of preference. I bought mine from tire rack
    What year is your STi? I'll have to check for '04 STi cuz they have the 100 bolt pattern I have for my 05 WRX....and I'd like to try a set of slotted next time I get some brakes. I love the drilled Brembos I have on now though, which I also bought on Tirerack

I got my slotted from maperformance there rotor pros with hawk carbon break pads
    i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    What year is your STi? I'll have to check for '04 STi cuz they have the 100 bolt pattern I have for my 05 WRX....and I'd like to try a set of slotted next time I get some brakes. I love the drilled Brembos I have on now though, which I also bought on Tirerack
    Mine is an '04...one of the first actually built in '03 (from what I am told). I like the cross drilled, although I have never tried out the slotted. I run the Hawk Composite pads.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I ran the stock rotors this Saturday.... 4 20-minute lap sessions... they actually performed quite well.

I actually had "tire fade" long before i had brake fade, so I really can't complain.

With that..... I think rather than just upgrading my rotors, I'm going to see if I can find a used STI brembo setup for the front of my car.... really could have used "more" brakes.

I've heard nothing but bad things about drilled rotors.... however I've heard the exact opposite about slotted rotors. I guess the structural integrity of the drilled rotors is far less.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Really!? no problems for me so far...hope it stays that way. I ran drilled on my old vw too, and no issues there either. Not saying slotted are bad, but what about ferraris, porsches, lambos, they all come with drilled rotors out the gate?

I do see a lot of tuned STi's with slotted though...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    I ran the stock rotors this Saturday.... 4 20-minute lap sessions... they actually performed quite well.

I actually had "tire fade" long before i had brake fade, so I really can't complain.

With that..... I think rather than just upgrading my rotors, I'm going to see if I can find a used STI brembo setup for the front of my car.... really could have used "more" brakes.

I've heard nothing but bad things about drilled rotors.... however I've heard the exact opposite about slotted rotors. I guess the structural integrity of the drilled rotors is far less.
    Don't just upgrade the fronts.. do the rears too. It'll negatively change the bias to do just one without the other.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Really!? no problems for me so far...hope it stays that way. I ran drilled on my old vw too, and no issues there either. Not saying slotted are bad, but what about ferraris, porsches, lambos, they all come with drilled rotors out the gate?
    Most of them come with drilled for 2 reasons.. 1, weight savings, and 2, appearance.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ