EXHAUST INFO [HP Ratings, Price, etc.] [Turbo Magazine Exhaust Shootout.]
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on EXHAUST INFO [HP Ratings, Price, etc.] [Turbo Magazine Exhaust Shootout.] within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i got the data from Turbo magazine, but i ran a spread sheet to find out who has the best ...

Here's the WRX EXHAUST GUIDE

i got the data from Turbo magazine, but i ran a spread sheet to find out who has the best "bang for the buck"

the manufacturer's:
    Skunk2
    HKS
    Cobb Tuning
    MRT Performance
    Blitz
    5Zigen
    A'PEXi
    Thermal R&D
    Supersprint
    Tanabe
    M2 Performance

and the winners are (because of a tied score):
    SKUNK2 and HKS

CLICK HERE to download the PDF spreadsheet
    Peace
    EDS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

These are cat-back correct? Not very impressive overall hp/torque increases per $$ spent, IMO.

tcc

tcc,
    yeah these are cat back exhaust systems. pretty f'n expensive if you ask me, too. but it shows you that the more money you spend, doesn't necessarily mean you will get the most performance (e.g., for the price of an blitz exhaust, you can get a skunk2 exhaust and an mrt up-pipe).
    Last edited by extraducksauce; 11-09-2002 at 04:13 PM.
    Peace
    EDS

Re: Here's the WRX EXHAUST GUIDE

Originally posted by extraducksauce
    i got the data from Turbo magazine, but i ran a spread sheet to find out who has the best "bang for the buck"

the manufacturer's:
    Skunk2
    HKS
    Cobb Tuning
    MRT Performance
    Blitz
    5Zigen
    A'PEXi
    Thermal R&D
    Supersprint
    Tanabe
    M2 Performance

and the winners are (because of a tied score):
    SKUNK2 and HKS

CLICK HERE to download the PDF spreadsheet
    Thanks for the spread sheet layout and averaging system.

I have this mag and I noticed something...the hp numbers for MRT are different on the detail page and the summary page. On the detail page, MRT has peak hp of 13.6. But on the summary its listed as 12.6. Assuming that they would make an error while imputing the numbers in the spreadsheet for the summary, I think the proper number is 13.6 hp. That also matches better with the tq numbers put up by the MRT, IMO.
    Bill

RIP REX

Does anyone have dyno numbers for the Prodrive axle-back?

No ScoobySport? Or BPM? Wonder how they'd stack up.
    Trunkmonkey Racing
    Team Monkey Wrench

Can someone post this file as a .txt or .xls?

I can't log onto that site, extraducksauce.

-Jim

Curses

Aaaaagh...

.NET required for download!

If you have an MSN Messenger / Passport / Hotmail account, I believe you can log in. Anyway, I hope I'm not infringing on anyone, but here is the spreadsheet...

...or not. Forgot, .xls is not allowed... here is an image of the .pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails exhaust shootout.gif  

...and as tab-delimitted .txt
    Attached Files
    Platinum Silver Metallic '03 Wagon
    Tinted Windows, JL Audio XR650 component speakers, Raamatted doors, MRT Rear 20-24mm Sway Bar

I Support ClubWRX
    How's come the one with the peak horsepower (HKS) is not th eone with the highest horsepower gain (Blitz) Same with torque (HKS vs Skunk2)

Thanks for the info. I've also wondered about the axle-back systems. Someone here said since the new Prodrive like mine says "Prodrive" on the tip, that that alone is worth 12 more horsepower!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

Originally posted by smorris
    How's come the one with the peak horsepower (HKS) is not th eone with the highest horsepower gain (Blitz) Same with torque (HKS vs Skunk2)

Thanks for the info. I've also wondered about the axle-back systems. Someone here said since the new Prodrive like mine says "Prodrive" on the tip, that that alone is worth 12 more horsepower!
    That is the nature of exhaust tuning: low-end vs. high-end vs. sound quality. You can't win them all.

-Jim

I Support ClubWRX
    Jim,

You misunderstood my question. The spreadsheet shows the HKS as having the highest peak horsepower (202.9), yet the Blitz is shown as having the highest horsepower gain (13.9)

Now, assuming this gain is based on stock peak horsepower of 191.8, this would mean the HKS yields an 11.1 Hp gain, but shows a 13.1 Hp gain. Conversely, the Blitz shows a 13.9 Hp gain, which would yield 204.9 peak Hp, yet peak Hp is shown as 200.2. Similar descrepancey in the torque numbers.

I haven't seen the article, so I might be taking this all out of context. But on the surface, the numbers don't add up.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

So if one was looking for the best bang for the buck, and was most concerned with power increases, should he go for the HKS hi-power with an HKS downpipe? Or is there a better system to go with?
    Wanna go for a ride?!

i figured out the peak and max hp or torque gain question. peak hp or torque is the maximum value in the hp (or torque) vs rpm curve. the maximum gain is taken at ANY point in the hp (or torque) curve where the value is the highest, regardless of the peak value; e.g. the max hp gain can be seen @ 3,500 rpm, while peak hp is @ ~ 6,500 +- 500 rpm.
    Peace
    EDS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.