Best intake for turbo sound - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Best intake for turbo sound within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hmmmm... interesting.... I'd like to see the research, but truth be told I think it might be a load of ...

hmmmm... interesting.... I'd like to see the research, but truth be told I think it might be a load of bs.... my logic is that if CAI's were better than short rams why wouldn't we be using them... the market will go to what produces the best results, so I cant see why we would all be buying up SPT and Cobb intakes if some CAI was better... at the same time however, I wouldn't mind someone trying it out, proving it better, and making me eat my words.... It would look damn sexy under the hood.

link to the vendor (I'm not selling anything obviously, just so you can look at it): https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...oducts_id=1018
    '02 Stage II WRX PSM Sport Wagon

...and one more thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end.- Homer Simpson

Teh Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, I'm really not in so much of a position to say which is truly better, especially since my WRX is still stock. That thread is very interesting though and they've been very thorough with providing videos and dyno plots.

A perfect example though of how sometimes the general community can be misled due to lack of concrete information: the 06+ upipe. Many said (including the guy who wrote that intake FAQ posted earlier) that because the upipe in the 2.5 WRX's has no cat, there is no reason to replace it and that no gains could be found. When Buschur Racing built a larger diameter version and tested it, there were indeed significant gains, along with the CAI. If I remember correctly, the car did not need a re-tune after the addition of the CAI, although it was mentioned that having your AFR's checked after installation is a smart and safe choice.

This is partially the reason my car is still stock. My ideas are still constantly changing with the more I learn and it's hard to pull the trigger on some upgrades when I'm still learning vast amounts each day. I've been just trying to keep a completely open mind and just soak up the information like a sponge.
    Last edited by ty webb; 03-20-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added info

i like my cobb, it was cheaper then the spt and sound great.

ps dont buy from vividracing, they are bad people. buy from gruppe-s.com or rallysportdirect.com

I have an 06 WRX TR stage 2, and recently added the Cobb SF intake. Stock BPV is MUCH louder, turbo spooling is way louder. Although I have not noticed any "power" gains, it does seem like the smoothness through gears feels a bit smoother than before. The intake is almost loud to the point that I need to turn the radio on because sometimes it can be annoying. Overall though, if you are looking for louder spooling, and louder BPV sounds.. then I would suggest getting the cobb sf intake. Just my 02c.
    AP Stage 2- 2006 WRX TR (WRB)

Other cars:

1996 Honda Accord
    1965 Buick Skylark GS

The best turbo sound is achieved from removing all the intake piping. All of it. Expose the turbine blades. MAF be damned.
    2011 DGM sedan
    1995 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    i like my cobb, it was cheaper then the spt and sound great.

ps dont buy from vividracing, they are bad people. buy from gruppe-s.com or rallysportdirect.com
    +1 do a search ''vivid racing'' and youll find a lot of bad threads about em.
    CGM

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    The best turbo sound is achieved from removing all the intake piping. All of it. Expose the turbine blades. MAF be damned.
    haha, amen brother.

The intake is almost loud to the point that I need to turn the radio on because sometimes it can be annoying.
    CAI ftw

i still get urges to go back to stock and add that paper thin plastic heater hose to the fender, that would get on my nerves though.
    Built 2.0l, DB super16g, Espilir JGT500exhuast And More.

best intake

Quote Originally Posted by dingobite View Post
    CAI ftw

i still get urges to go back to stock and add that paper thin plastic heater hose to the fender, that would get on my nerves though.

which intake is that cause i really want a nice loud sound

Whoes the Joker that said CAI are bad? their not bad, Their just not worth it. ...And yea snorkel delete and Catless DP and UP will get you that loud spool...Of course open DP will offer plenty of noise.

I have always felt that a CAI is rather pointless on a turbocharged INTERCOOLED car. the inlet air temp is going to get very hot wen it runs through the turbo, thats why we have intercoolers on our cars...knowing this is dosn't seem like it would matter if the air going into the turbo is cooler....am i wrong here??

....however, I believe that a short ram (being less restrictive) will help the turbo spool a little quicker....may not add power, but you might build power a little sooner.

...this is just my opinion, make sense to me, but i could be overlooking things.

that being said, I have the spt and like it.

I agree with Shep21, ...Yea cold air denser, and might alow for quicker turbo spool..If any..

All I know is that this thread was 9 months old and got dredged up for some reason. Please let it die in peace. Either start a new thread or send a PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Which Intake

Snorkleless your turbo will spool right into your fender and it will be loud i assume a Sri would sound the same and its just to much whirling ppphhhhssssttttts sound for my ears.

Theres also the one guys snorkle he made out of plastic heater hose.

I thought this was a Pm at first................. sorry I Done
    Last edited by dingobite; 12-31-2007 at 12:44 AM.
    Built 2.0l, DB super16g, Espilir JGT500exhuast And More.

I also have a SPT and am very satisfied with it, just need to get the heat shield for it. APS also has a pretty good short ram.
    aspen white 07 tr
    MODS:
    Greddy Ti-C
    Invidia DP
    AP stage 2
    TWM short shifter
    AgencyP 1lb main crank pulley
    SPT SR
    Tanabe GF210 springs

AHHHH IM IN IRAQ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.