Best intake for turbo sound - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Best intake for turbo sound within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Really? Damn I gotta look for one now. hehe Any video clips?...

Smile

Really? Damn I gotta look for one now. hehe

Any video clips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mindhazed View Post
    Alright, I'm sold on the SPT intake. Where's a good CHEAP dependable place to purchase one?

Thanks,

Paul
    SubaruGenuineParts.com sells the intake.

SPT intake -- https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1075

Here's good video of SPT installed on an STI -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVBd1h1La0
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 03-13-2007 at 09:52 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

If you install a short ram do you need to tune for it or can you just reset your ecu?

The king of parts is probably the best place to buy the SPT intake with heat shield. When you install it you will have to disconnect the neg battery terminal. when your finished then reconnect the neg bat terminal and your finished.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by Subie do View Post
    Is the stock turbo even that loud? I mean I did the Snorkus and it's loud(er) in the cabin but outside the car, I can't hear ish.

I know in some videos with cars that have the STi GT35's and crazy supra 9 billion hp you can hear the turbo half way down the track. But with the stock TD04 or VF39 I don't think it's ever going to be that loud.
    With the snorkel off the stock box stage2 is loud outside.
    Built 2.0l, DB super16g, Espilir JGT500exhuast And More.

to the OP: catless uppipe and aftermarket downpipe mods are the best way to have the turbo's spooling noise come out. You get the sound as well as power gains.

No power gains with intakes.

forget about intakes.

removing the snorkus is pretty close to as loud as you are going to get it. I mean your not going to make your car sound like a turbo desel trying to spool up. When i removed my snorkus it is definatly noticeable that my turbo is there to other people.

I removed the snorkus on my 2006 and found I didn't get much turbo sound, but all of a sudden you can hear the bypass valve (a little). I got FAR more turbo sound by changing to the TXS downpipe. A very nice spool "whistle" and even louder when you let off the go-pedal.
    Black 2006 WRX Sedan

Snorkus-deleted with K&N drop-in
    Defi-Link Boost, EGT, Oil Temp - Gruppe-S CF dash pod
    TurboXS Turbo-back
    That's it so far!

If your stocker is hitting 14lbs of boost going to sound whimpy.
    Built 2.0l, DB super16g, Espilir JGT500exhuast And More.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
    I removed the snorkus on my 2006 and found I didn't get much turbo sound, but all of a sudden you can hear the bypass valve (a little). I got FAR more turbo sound by changing to the TXS downpipe. A very nice spool "whistle" and even louder when you let off the go-pedal.
    Is it bad to go with a downpipe on an 06-07 without going stage 2 or anything like that? As far as CELs go and performance.
    Last edited by Slider; 03-15-2007 at 10:44 AM.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Is it bad to go with a downpipe on an 06-07 without going stage 2 or anything like that? As far as CELs go and performance.
    Boost creep is common without EM if you get a full TBE..if you keep the axle back you will likely avoid creep. Stock axle back plus EM and you can almost be sure you wont have creep.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

+10 for the KIng Of Parts for the SPT intake+shield. Tristan is a good friend of mine. He's got great prices and ships really fast. He a vendor on here, so you can find him in the vendor section.

+1 on the DP for the most noticable increase in turbo whistle. Get a bellmouth for the loudest. 06+ I am pretty sure that you can avoid boost creep also with leaving 1cat or a high flow cat in there.

My car is pretty loud as far as the turbo whistle is concerened. I have catless UP,DP, and an apexn1 exhaust. Plus I have a Perrin drop-in foam filter and Perrin "afta"MAF silicone hose, with silincer delete and it whistles pretty loud.
    '02 2.0l WRX, 237awhp, 236awtq. XPT Stage 2

Bugeye Mafia #117
    Modders Anonymous #17
    Wingless Alliance #17

I'm thinking to install the spt intake + heat reflector. And i have two questions:
    1. What are the advantages over the regular filter?
    2. Is it true that in 06 STI it adds 45HP ? (from SPT catalogue: "SPT WRX/STI High Flow Air Intake [OEM SOA8431000] ... Dyno-tested and when combined with the SPT Heat Shield and SPT Performance Exhaust System, produces up to 18HP and 20 lb-ft of torque on a stock 2006 WRX, and 45HP with 24 lb-ft of torque on a stock 2006 STI model")

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kotkrzy View Post
    I'm thinking to install the spt intake + heat reflector. And i have two questions:
    1. What are the advantages over the regular filter?
    2. Is it true that in 06 STI it adds 45HP ? (from SPT catalogue: "SPT WRX/STI High Flow Air Intake [OEM SOA8431000] ... Dyno-tested and when combined with the SPT Heat Shield and SPT Performance Exhaust System, produces up to 18HP and 20 lb-ft of torque on a stock 2006 WRX, and 45HP with 24 lb-ft of torque on a stock 2006 STI model")
    You will not see 45 hp out of this and those are crank figures anyway I assume. You might feel a small gain in hp but it will more then likely be physcological. Without actually freeing up exhaust (with a turbo back) and some sort of engine management you wont see BIG gains from anything.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Have any of you guys been checking out the Buschur Racing thread over on NASIOC? I know that the short ram intake has been the conventional route as far as intakes are concerned, but they've built and tested a cold air intake that has proven gains on their dyno. Mr. Buschur also is quite adamant about not selling a short ram due to high intake temperatures.

I'm definitely no expert here, but I have spent quite a bit of time absorbing any and all Subaru info I can in the recent weeks, and as I was reading this I just thought I'd maybe share some info for anyone that hasn't seen this yet - just something to think about...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast