Just flashed XPT stage2 today, very impressed!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just flashed XPT stage2 today, very impressed! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; EDIT: Update and video on Page 3 post #44. I just flashed XPT stage 2 to my WRX today and ...

Thumbs up Just flashed XPT stage2 today, very impressed!

EDIT: Update and video on Page 3 post #44.

I just flashed XPT stage 2 to my WRX today and am very impressed! So here's my story/experience/write-up so far:

My car/engine mods:
    02 WRX 5spd. 22,000 miles on motor.
    Turboxs cat-less cast iron up-pipe
    Tsudo cat-less downpipe
    Apexi N1 cat-back
    OEM STI I/C, w/ spiltter, PnP elbows, samco hoses,and 1in tilt.
    Pnp throttle body
    PnP stock header w/ straight through cross-over pipe.
    Intake siliencer removal w/ K+N air filter and veloicty stack.

I received my Tactrix cable a few days ago, and was waiting for the XPT stage 2 map come in my e-mail. It came in late thursday night and I didn't open it and read the instructions until the next day.

I hooked up my tactrix cable to my USB port and the computer automaticy downloaded the necesary drivers. After that, I took my laptop out to my car. I connected the green male/female test connectors together. For those of you that don't know exactly where the are, they are behind the fuse pannel on the lower dash cover.(where your shins are when you in the drivers seat). You don't have to remove that cover to acess the test plugs and re-flash connector. I then opened up ECUFLASH on my laptop, connected my DLC connector to my car. I turned on my ing. key and selected the "read from ecu" icon. There was a small box that promped some instuctions to me. I download my cars stock map in less then 1min. I saved it to my computer. Next I opened up my XPT stage2 map fromhttp://www.osecuroms.org/. Selected "test write to ecu" icon, waited for it to test write, sucesful. Now to actually flash the stage 2 map. Now is when you go to the other connector behind your fuse box in plug in a 2 pin jumper connector( I have an 02, for 04/05 it a 4 or 5 pin jumper) With the stage 2 map highlighted I seclected "write to ecu" icon. It took about 90 seconds.

My laptop computer is brand new, and it pretty good with all the latest goodies. So I'm sure thats why mine copied/flashed so quickly. So for older and slower compurers I would expect a longer wait, but no big deal. From what I remember about the system requirements, you don't need very much to run the necessary programs. I think that you need at least win 98, and a semi-new usb driver. Sorry no mac's.

When it was done re-programing I disconnected the negative battery cable and reset my ECU. This is a necessary step, it say so in the insturctions. After I reconnect everything, I go back under my dash and remove both test/flash connectors. This is also a MUST. I started my car and let it idle for about 10 min.

Now time for the test drive. As soon as I turned out of my street and put the gas 1/3 of the way down in second gear I noticed 10-11 psi of boost by 3,000rpms. A solid 10-11psi, not a slight boost spike, solid.(very nice) Since it has gotten pretty cold here in SE PA, I have been having boost spikeing issues. My car previously had the 3/16 mod installed in it, I removed that and replaced the vacume lines with stock coupler. Yes my compressor housing vac line has the brass pill in it. After that there was no difference in my boost spike/flux, and sometimes it was very bad, about 8psi difference. It got better after my ecu learned the new duty cycle. But enough of that. I then adjusted my wastgate arm out(so the wastegate opens a bit earlier) a few turns. I could now here that wastegate flutter that I had before. The boost was better with it spiking/fluxing, but the flutter was too loud and it wasn't holding target boost when it settled down. I turned it back in 1 turn and the flutter was still slightly there. Boost spooled quick and, only spiked about 1-2psi and held a solid 15psi up to about 6500 rpms. So I was happy about that. In the instructions it tells you to adjust you wastegate arm in 2-3 turns to achieve peak boost, which is 16.8 +/-. I get peak boost at a high 17psi.

But back to the test drive with stage 2. Here's how the gears/boost works at WOT for me:

1st gear 15psi very early. I don't have exact RPM's, being that I have to watch the roads, but I would say before 3000 RPMs, holding very solid slightly tappering down at 6000 RPMs

2nd gear 15-16 psi holds to redline/ spools full boost at 2700 rpms
    3rd gear 17psi holds to redline/ spools full boost 2700rpms
    4th gear 17-18psi holds to redline/
    5th gear 18-19psi holds untill???? only went up to about 110 mph today, I'm sure it will hold to redline. full boost at 2800rpm

Now even with crusing in 5th on the highway and wanting to pass somebody when your going 65mph I would normally want to down shift to 4th. Now I can just go 3/4 throttle for pretty fast spool up and pass no problem. Driving around town is a ton better and you are always just a split second from good, solid, slightly higher, boost at any speed/gear. Since I have flashed, my boost has spooled faster across the board, now matter what speed or gear. I have no spiking issues and it holds rock solid. It's 20 degrees outside and that always makes most people cars to spike a bit. Eventhough they tell you to adjust your wastegate arm IN and I adjusted OUT, I still hit target boost and slightly higher. Like I said it's cold outside, so it might have to be adjusted in for the summer. For the 90 bucks for the cable and the 25 dollars for the XPT map, and the free software for copying, editing, and flashing. This has been the best mod for my car and I highly recomend it for other people out there that want some good cheap EM, have boost spike problems, or other needs that also want to be a part of the process. Don't get me wrong you definatly have to study up on this stuff to learn how to do it properly and safe. For those of you who don't mind driving far and paying a ton of cash to have their car tuned, and then never change/touch anhything because they don't feel like learning some new, cool, and exciting stuff about your car, that's fine.

I am very impressed with the inital results. Like I said before the overall performance is so much better. It rained/snow/sleeted out tonight so I didn't get to do very much driving. I can't log right now, but from other people that have had this map their logs have been very good, for not even adjusting any settings for this map. I will be logging when the road conditions get better. I will also be taking an in-cabin video of my gauges like the speed-o and the boost guage so you can get a slight feel for the performancr of the map.

Sorry for the super long write-up but I am so excited/pleased with this I wanted to share with all. I will update from time to time with a few vids and logs.

Zack.
    Last edited by blackzwrx; 02-22-2007 at 08:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I edited the spool times/rpms. Also an update on my car. I ripped out 2nd gear today. I'm not the least bit suprised by it, my trans was on it's last leg or tooth however you want to put it. Time for a free re-build or some PPG's! we will see what the dealership says.

Wow that sucks man. You didn't even get a chance to enjoy your new map. Well, good luck with the tranny, hope everything works out for ya.
    NewEngland F4
    Pics, mods and other rides http://www.cardomain.com/ride/383213/1
    03 VF43'd WRX
    02 CBR 954RR
    87 Transam GTA

Thats the one thing that keeps me from going to stage 2. I'm worried the tranny won't be able to take the extra power. I have an 02 and from what I hear this is a valid concern.

great write up, looking forward to XPT stage 2 in the future.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

if you know how do drive, the tranny will last a long time.

v7 block
    helix tmic
    pinks
    vf34
    helix cams
    spec st. 1 clutch
    stock trans
    133k on the odometer

at about 50k i went cobb stage 2, 80k added the clutch and cobb 2.5, ran 13.2@100 w/ stock tmic

put the v7 block and helix cams in at 120k, rough tune in Nov. got 270whp/240wtq

ditched the AP/ST last month for enginuity and i need to do another pull, cause i know its got more power now than it did in Nov.
    271whp/240wtq
    MODS
    mauromotorsports

Yes, people need to stop suggesting people pay 1000$ for an accessport, and need to start suggesting they get a tactrix cable and an XPT map.
    2004 Java Black Pearl WRX, intake silencer delete, stealth turbo back exhaust, perrin intercooler hoses, XPT stage 2 map, 50W 6000K HID's, stock short throw shifter, 3/16" mod, high flow filter.

I really wanna try out this openecu stuff. even the XGT w/the cable sounds like it's a good plan.

Matt
    I do installs in SoCal. Hit me up, I have good prices and do excellent work.

Where did you pick up the cable and map? Its definately not as easy to find as the Cobb.

http://www.tactrix.com <-- for the cable
    enginuity.org FAQ <--for enginuity and ecuflash software
    271whp/240wtq
    MODS
    mauromotorsports

If you feel like it's worth an extra 600$ for "ease to find" then you're welcome to suit yourself.
    2004 Java Black Pearl WRX, intake silencer delete, stealth turbo back exhaust, perrin intercooler hoses, XPT stage 2 map, 50W 6000K HID's, stock short throw shifter, 3/16" mod, high flow filter.

Quote Originally Posted by tube View Post
    Yes, people need to stop suggesting people pay 1000$ for an accessport, and need to start suggesting they get a tactrix cable and an XPT map.
    +1, I guess people stay away from other EM's because it's considered to much of a hassle. My friend is on a UTEC and he loves it. He says COBB can kiss his ass.
    06 WRX - Deadbolt Zilla 20g 365AWHP//358AWTQ//TopSpeed
    STi Drivetrain installed by CRE
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #54
    My mod list

Quote Originally Posted by tube View Post
    If you feel like it's worth an extra 600$ for "ease to find" then you're welcome to suit yourself.
    Thats definately not what I'm suggesting. Being a n00b, for a long time I thought the only option was cobb because that is what everybody is talking about, and it is extremely easy to find. I'm glad to hear that there are a lot more options. I don't have to spend a butt load of cash!

Do your homework, alot of it! I'm talking like reading up on this stuff for like a min of 15hrs. Buy the cable $90, buy the map XPT$25, or get stage 2 base map FREE and tune for yourself. Then enjoy your new EM, that is just as good, if not better the AP ST at 1/7 the price. Good luck and happy reading.

right now the only thing AP has on enginuity is real time tuning, which is supposed to be taken care of in enginuity 0.5.0 (should only be a few months out).

cobb can suck it.
    271whp/240wtq
    MODS
    mauromotorsports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.