WRX turbo wastegate adjustment

This is a discussion on WRX turbo wastegate adjustment within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had 2 quick question for whoever may know. 1) How many psi of boost is the stock wastegate on ...

WRX turbo wastegate adjustment

I had 2 quick question for whoever may know.
    1) How many psi of boost is the stock wastegate on a WRX set to open at?
    2) Can the spring in the wastegate be adjusted or swapped out with a softer one?

I'm interested in putting the turbo on a custom application and only want 4-6 psi. of boost to start with. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by speedaddict View Post
    2) Can the spring in the wastegate be adjusted or swapped out with a softer one?

I'm interested in putting the turbo on a custom application and only want 4-6 psi. of boost to start with. Thanks
    1) 8-10psi
    2)No

Some Garret turbos you can pop the top off the wastegate actuator and cut the spring down, but i don't think you can on Mistsubishi turbos.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for the fast reply. Just to clarify, are you positive the wastegate isn't adjustable? They had to assemble it somehow. Since the wastegate looks to be external, I would assume there should be some way to replace the spring inside with a softer spring or an aftremarket dial a boost setup.

Any other vehicles you know of that have a stock turbocharger that only runs 4-6 psi?

the WG spring pressure opens up at 7 psi.... why you would want to run that low of boost is beyond me but hey....do what you want
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Robman7835 View Post
    the WG spring pressure opens up at 7 psi.... why you would want to run that low of boost is beyond me but hey....do what you want
    If you are tossing on a gt30r and cant get a tow truck to tow you to the tuner, then this is probaly the next safest way.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by speedaddict View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If you are tossing on a gt30r and cant get a tow truck to tow you to the tuner, then this is probaly the next safest way.
    Im aware.....but he's not running a gt30r.....its a stock turbo
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

You could just take out the restrictor orifice and plug up the vacume hose past T the most boost you would get would be about 6 or 7 PSi.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by Robman7835 View Post
    The motor I want to use the turbo on, is only good for a few pounds of boost, because of the stock fuel injectors and relatively high compression. I can't afford lower comprsion pistons and the stock ecu doesn't know what to do with bigger fuel injectors.

wrxdrvr, pluging up holes and taking out restrictor orfices doesn't sound like a safe idea. I think I will end up going with an aftermarket wastegate. Thanks everyone.