How to: Air Box Silencer Delete - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to: Air Box Silencer Delete within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I saw this thread this morning and soon afterwords I went to the garage & did the mod. Wow, it ...

I saw this thread this morning and soon afterwords I went to the garage & did the mod.

Wow, it does make the car sound different.

Nice & quick mod!
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Slightly Modded & Driven Daily

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just did the delete and I barely hear a sound difference. I put in the elbow but even before that it was barely audible.. Any ideas as to why?
    -2002 WRX

"Everyone behind me is an incredibly talented driver - Everyone in front of me is cheating!"
    -Bill Haney

this mod does make the bpv a little bit easier to hear but not much and the intake does sound a little more throaty in a way... for an easy mod its worth it...dont expect to hear it a lot louder though

I use a hks bov and and was thinking of performing this mod. i would rate the hks sound a 8or9/10. For those of you that have done this, what number out of 10 would you rate your stock bpv whoosh sound after the silencer is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtobal View Post
    I use a hks bov and and was thinking of performing this mod. i would rate the hks sound a 8or9/10. For those of you that have done this, what number out of 10 would you rate your stock bpv whoosh sound after the silencer is gone?
    Honestly, maybe a 2/10 compared to an HKS thats being VTA. Maybe a 4/10 if I throttle off near redline.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Big Change for no cash

I just performed this "mod" on my 02 wrx yesterday and I have to say that I didn't expect as much of a change in power as there is. when they said it would make the turbo spool faster they were right, and while this "mod" might only change peak hp by a only a few, the overall change is very big. before this mod my car was stock with 2 exceptions, i have a short-throw shifter and a catted strait-pipe exhaust. before the mod i could feel the turbo begin to spool at around 2800 rpm, now it's down around 2500. and it peaks faster and longer. there is no longer any lag btwn 1st to 2nd shifts and right after i completed this mod and was on a test drive a brand new caddy tried taking me at a light. he was sorely angry when i pulled away from him in 1st gear and kept pulling in 2nd. (no speeding was involved)

now i didn't remove everything. upon removal of the giant plastic air box i began cutting it into small pieces until all that was left was the inlet connection, the outlet connection and the support bolt between them, i reinstalled the remaining part and reintalled the ram-air funnel. i did not notice a drastic change in noise except during harm excelleration from 4k-6k rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. and there is a bit of bypass noise in close traffic.

i did not have to remove the tire but removing the 1st retainer clip for the bumper molding to fender was necessary. (the box is huge and i did not feel like turning the wheels after the car was in the air) the entire job took about 50 minutes and was well worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Black X Dahlia View Post
    did anyone else get a CEL after finishing this project? I know its from unplugging the MAF but i didnt think it would throw a CEL due to the fact that the car was off when it was unplugged. But the CEL should go away after a few miles of driving, right? Im 99.9% sure this is whats going on but i wanted to be 110% without someone elses output.
    to clear the CEL on the cheap u can just disconnect the car's battery for 5 minutes. the drawback is that the ECU will have to re-adjust A/F's and gather sensor data for some time before it's back to normal. if the light stays off then the problem is what you say. if it's back on then there is a constant fault.

you can also take your car to autozone or advance auto and they can scan your car to see if there are any permanent faults, if there are none they can clear the light on the spot, if there are faults they can tell you what codes are there so you can get it fixed. there are no negatives to this method other than if they find something bad you then have to find a way to fix it. this method does not require disconnecting the battery and DOES require the battery to not have been disconnected w/in the past week or two.

the expensive way to correct the light is to either take it to a shop and pay for 1/2 hr labor at the least or not do anything at all and actually have a problem that causes major failure.

in other words... GET THE CAR LOOKED AT TO MAKE SURE YOU DIDN'T MESS ANYTHING UP!

1x2
    now i didn't remove everything. upon removal of the giant plastic air box i began cutting it into small pieces until all that was left was the inlet connection, the outlet connection and the support bolt between them, i reinstalled the remaining part and reintalled the ram-air funnel.
    Griefer, this sounds promising, but I can't follow it at all.

i began cutting it into small pieces
    You cut the OEM airbox that holds the filter into pieces?

i reinstalled the remaining part
    What part is that, that is remaining?

When you reinstalled the OEM ram-air funnel, what did you hook it to?

I'm lost,
    1x2

ok by air box i mean silencer (brainfart: forgot what it was called and it looks like a giant air box with a snorkle)

the remaining part was the inlet/outlet to the air silencer after i cut that section off.

1x2
    Griefer,

OK, I got ya- thanks for coming back to help me out, here!

1x2

The snorkus was harder to remove from my 1998 LGT wagon than from my WRX by a long shot. I was able to remove it from my WRX by popping one of the plastic rivets out and pulling the front most part of the fender liner down (one of my pop rivets is missing, I'm actually missing a huge number of them but meh), and just pulling that stupid nut from the lower mount point of the snorkus by feel alone. I didn't even have to pull the fog light. After you've pulled 3-4 of them though, it gets easier.

I also put the ram air piece that goes from over the radiator to the fender well back in just to introduce fresh air into the fender well from the front of the car while driving.

Hey guys 2003 WRX. Just did the "mod" today. Haven't taken it down the road yet, but the work was easy enough. Not sure I put the clips back in the correct places, but the big ones are in the right spots. All told took about an hour, most of which was setting up my floorjack to make sure I didn't bend anything up under there. The crossmember lifting point looks like a flimsy pos and I wasn't sure but it worked fine.

Thanks for the write up.

I just did this mod based on the DIY's. Thanks! I tore my fender ining a little and haven't noticed a big difference if any running my AEM cool air-intake
    "they call me tq. too quick"

Anyone ever experience any power loss from doing this? Just curious if it's possible.

any suggestions if i take my wagon to the desert? my only worry is that sand might get into the motor...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast