How to: Air Box Silencer Delete - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to: Air Box Silencer Delete within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is it fine just having the hole seen as the air still has to go through the filter? Or is ...

Is it fine just having the hole seen as the air still has to go through the filter? Or is it better to cover it up or get a pipe from the front intake to the filter?
    Last edited by Rych; 08-10-2008 at 02:04 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Went and Did It

I read this thread and then went right out and did it to my car. Thanks for the pics and all it helped out alot. I like the way my car sounds better too....
    ------->Live to Drive<--------

thanks for the write up! intake sounds great now
    Quote Originally Posted by STiBOi View Post
    Could it still be considered a sex toy if you get off from driving it?

so i read this thread (good job by the way) and got all excited went out to do it today and found out that it was already gone... so what i thought was the stock sound was really as loud as it gets for the stock system. still sounds pretty good.

DUB
    So I installed a Crucial Racing catless UP/DP this weekend and was very surprised by how loud my turbo was after the install.

So, I decided to take out the air box silencer to see how loud it was then.

Well, it didn't change a thing. At nearly full boost, I can maybe hear the compressor a little more. But just before 0 psi (~ -5 to -1 psi) the sound of the turbo spooling is just as loud as it was with the silencer in there.

Oh yeah, and it took me exactly 36 minutes to do this job, start to finish.

Saw this post, which immediately made me want to go out and yank my silencer off (which I did btw). Obviously this mod is just for those who enjoy listening to their car's engine, but amazing nonetheless. I can't believe how much noise that box was holding back. I can now clearly hear my turbo whirling away and then the distinct 'pffsh!' Took me about an hour and a half, and did it the fog light way (kept wheel on), but I took my sweet time. If you want a potentially harmful bov for the 'cool noise' it makes... please save your money and just do this FOR FREE.

If I ever get annoyed with the sounds i'll pop it back in. Great post.

I did the mod on my NA Impreza and can say, the intake isn't any louder, even with my head under the hood. Not that it really matters, since it's free and all, but if your car doesn't have a turbo, then there's no point in doing this mod, other than saving a whopping pound and a half

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 321wings
    I did the mod on my NA Impreza and can say, the intake isn't any louder, even with my head under the hood. Not that it really matters, since it's free and all, but if your car doesn't have a turbo, then there's no point in doing this mod, other than saving a whopping pound and a half
    There's no BPV/turbo to hear
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

DUB
    So I just installed my GP Moto intake elbow....good god was that difficult. It took me twice as long as to remove the silencer last week. Manipulating tiny screws, blind, in a contorted position is not my idea of fun.

Well at least now I have my piece of mind that I am utilizing the "ram air scoop" rather than sucking in piping hot air form the engine compartment. Whether or not that is actually true.......

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    So I just installed my GP Moto intake elbow....good god was that difficult. It took me twice as long as to remove the silencer last week. Manipulating tiny screws, blind, in a contorted position is not my idea of fun.

Well at least now I have my piece of mind that I am utilizing the "ram air scoop" rather than sucking in piping hot air form the engine compartment. Whether or not that is actually true.......

Does the elbow have a drain hole at the bottom like the silencer? If it doesn't have a drain, I'd suggest taking it back out and drilling a little hole (&#188;") in the bottom to allow water to drain out - not sure about yours, but I had leaves and stones in mine when I removed it (so I'm sure some water got in there as well).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

DUB
    Man, I wish I'd though of that first.....what a pita.

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    There's no BPV/turbo to hear
    Thank you for clearing me up. I was unaware that my naturally aspirated Impreza does not, in fact, have a turbo.

Obviously it doesn't have a bypass valve, that's not what I was trying to hear. I did the mod to see if the intake itself would be any louder.

ordered a intack so i decided to do this since i was going to have to anyway. easy to do took like 20 min. thanks. sounds good

did anyone else get a CEL after finishing this project? I know its from unplugging the MAF but i didnt think it would throw a CEL due to the fact that the car was off when it was unplugged. But the CEL should go away after a few miles of driving, right? Im 99.9% sure this is whats going on but i wanted to be 110% without someone elses output.
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

i never heard of riping off the mass air flow sensor to do this little project hell we didnt even take off the wheel all i did was take off the fender well lining and unscrew and pull out hopefully it goes away if not get this it will save a trip to the macanic
    its called a scangauge II
    i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast