How to: Air Box Silencer Delete - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to: Air Box Silencer Delete within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Trainrex No jack stand? always a critic....lol jk no i actually didnt have one, but i highly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    No jack stand?
    always a critic....lol jk no i actually didnt have one, but i highly recomend using one, or at least a make shift one....huge blocks of wood will due if your too broke lol
    R.I.P. 2004 SRT-4
    Missing you...2005 STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Skellington View Post
    always a critic....lol jk no i actually didnt have one, but i highly recomend using one, or at least a make shift one....huge blocks of wood will due if your too broke lol
    Not meaning to be a critic. I wouldn't go anywhere near that car with that flimsy little jack holding it. In almost 15 years of wrenching, I've seen two jackstands, a ramp, and a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jack fail. That thing will drop the car if you fart loudly.

Not meaning to be a critic. I wouldn't go anywhere near that car with that flimsy little jack holding it. In almost 15 years of wrenching, I've seen two jackstands, a ramp, and a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jack fail. That thing will drop the car if you fart loudly.
    So what your saying is you wouldn't change a flat tire on the highway with the supplied emergency jack?

I've used the emergency jack for little projects like this. I've never (knock on wood) had any issues, but I've never had to exert lots of energy on the car to get done what needed to be done. I think as long as you take the required precautions, chock the rear wheels, apply the e-brake, break the wheel lugs loose while the car is on the ground, and don't lean on or sit in the vehicle, while its on the jack, you should be safe. But this depends on what kind of work you are doing as well. I wouldn't do an up-pipe install or anything that involved with just the emergency jack.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXDriver82 View Post
    So what your saying is you wouldn't change a flat tire on the highway with the supplied emergency jack?

I've used the emergency jack for little projects like this. I've never (knock on wood) had any issues, but I've never had to exert lots of energy on the car to get done what needed to be done. I think as long as you take the required precautions, chock the rear wheels, apply the e-brake, break the wheel lugs loose while the car is on the ground, and don't lean on or sit in the vehicle, while its on the jack, you should be safe. But this depends on what kind of work you are doing as well. I wouldn't do an up-pipe install or anything that involved with just the emergency jack.
    The emergency jack is for just that....emergencies.

Working in a wheelwell like that is insane. You'd be surprised how easily a scissor jack collapses. Hey, it's your life, and your appendages.

great writeup, very concise, exactly what i needed! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WRXDriver82 View Post
    If you change a tire properly, there is no reason that you should ever have any part of your body under anything. You don't need to go under the car, and you grip the tire by the sides not the bottom. The jack could fail and you won't get hurt.

Very well done write up. Thank you for the effort.

Next time buy these. For $25 there is no reason not to use them.
    Last edited by wrx wagone; 11-19-2006 at 10:52 AM.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    If you change a tire properly, there is no reason that you should ever have any part of your body under anything. You don't need to go under the car, and you grip the tire by the sides not the bottom. The jack could fail and you won't get hurt.

just dont put your hands on top of the wheel when your trying to put it on. i know a guy who was changing a tire and had his hand on top of the tire and the car fell off the jack and it pinched his fingers between the tire and fender....OUCH

After you take the wheel off, if you don't have a jackstand, just put the wheel halfway under the side of the car . Better a damaged wheel than a damaged self.

So, is this silencer thing just a noise muffling thing?

Does the air flow just go into the "ram air", around the fender hole through the silencer, wrapping back into the entrance of the intake cone?
    Last edited by branemaniac; 12-08-2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Picture I want to insert is too big
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by branemaniac View Post
    So, is this silencer thing just a noise muffling thing?

Does the air flow just go into the "ram air", around the fender hole through the silencer, wrapping back into the entrance of the intake cone?
    yes and yes
    R.I.P. 2004 SRT-4
    Missing you...2005 STI

Just did this and WOW was it simple. If this is any indication of the difficulty working on these cars I'm in for a nice ride. Every time I did ANYTHING on the Honda it was a nightmare.

this was the first thing i did to my 06. i installed a panel filter then did this, except its not necessary to take the tire off the car. I did however find that placing the jack under the car to just lift it up a little bit or in some cases just park it over a curb so you have a lil more clearence to the clips. i did buy the GP moto Silencer delete but realized that the sound without it was more like that BOV sound that most turbo owners like.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprezaSv23 View Post
    this was the first thing i did to my 06. i installed a panel filter then did this, except its not necessary to take the tire off the car. I did however find that placing the jack under the car to just lift it up a little bit or in some cases just park it over a curb so you have a lil more clearence to the clips. i did buy the GP moto Silencer delete but realized that the sound without it was more like that BOV sound that most turbo owners like.

I didn't have to take my wheel off either. Hardest part was either trying to remember which clips went where or convincing the silencer that it wanted to let go of its previous home.

Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    I didn't have to take my wheel off either. Hardest part was either trying to remember which clips went where or convincing the silencer that it wanted to let go of its previous home.
    i usually do it the harder way, but too each their own...it worked out pretty well and with the tire off i had no trouble coaxing out the silencer as it allowed for much more room.
    R.I.P. 2004 SRT-4
    Missing you...2005 STI

Banned
    ive got the silencer/snorkus delete on my car, would buying the moto gp elbow help or no? its just still an odd feeling that nothing is there you know?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast