BOOST/VACUUM CONVERSIONS [Mpa, bar, atm, psi, inHg)
Closed Thread

This is a discussion on BOOST/VACUUM CONVERSIONS [Mpa, bar, atm, psi, inHg) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This question seems to come up a lot, so I figured I would put it in it's own thread. Manifold ...

Boost and vaccum pressure conversions (Mpa, bar, atm, psi, inHg, hkPa)

This question seems to come up a lot, so I figured I would put it in it's own thread.

Manifold Air Pressure (or boost/vacuum) can be measure in a variety of units, these include MPa, bar, atm, psi, and inHg (inches of mercury). If I left anything out, let me know, but I think I covered all of the usual suspects.

0.1 MPa = 1.0 bar = .987 atmospheres = 14.5 psi = 29.53 inHg

These are the real unit conversions from .1 MPa to all the others with minimal rounding.

1 atm = 14.7 psi for further reference.

When the boost gauge reads 14.7 psi, that mean that you have twice the nominal atmospheric pressure available to your intake valves. When the gauge reads 0 you are at atmospheric pressure. When the gauge reads negative, you engine is drawing a vacuum on the intake manifold, just like a naturally aspirated car always does.

I hope this clears up any confusion for our members that are new to the world of turbocharging.

-Jim

p.s. A Pascal (Pa) is the metric unit for pressure equal to 1 Newton of force distributed across 1 square meter of area (N/m^2). A MegaPascal (MPa) is 1 million Pascals or 1,000,000 Newtons / 1 meter^2.
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 09-03-2002 at 09:49 PM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MPa to psi conversion

MPa/0.00689476=PSI

i.e

.1 / 0.00689476 = 14.5PSI

A great sight that will do pretty much any unit conversions you need - to as much accuracy as you need them:

http://srd.yahoo.com/goo/scientific+...sion+tables/1/*http://www.convert-me.com/en/

Speed safely,

Joe

Here is a converter I mentioned in another post. It will convert about anything.

ftp://ftp.wsdot.wa.gov/public/Metrics/convert.exe

Sorry for the double post, not sure how to link back to the other.

Bill

I Support ClubWRX
    another good link for any type of conversion

http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/
    Street Racer Emeritus
    '02 2.5L WRX - Retired

I Support ClubWRX

You forgot hkPa

Here is also a very good conversion website. Since Bar and hkPa are the same.

http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    Last edited by KurleeDaddeeWRX; 09-03-2002 at 09:49 PM.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.