$5 and 5 minutes to a better running car :) - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on and 5 minutes to a better running car :) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; IF the AM's are low then a re-set could speed up the process (or it could actually lower the AM ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    IF the AM's are low then a re-set could speed up the process (or it could actually lower the AM from where it's at), when I had my EcuTek Delta Dash I knew exactly what the AM was and would base the need of a re-set on it; the ecu will learn regardless- just may take a little longer
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

7.99 in Wilmington nc. My car has 140,000 miles on it and when I removed the MAF sensor I could tell right away that it was black. A few sprays and it was squeaky clean! Took it for a drive and my car runs way better. Completely god rid of the studdering after gear changes.

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess the price has gone up a little in six years

Banned
    I recommend all my clients give themselves five minutes each day dedicated simply to making tomorrow better. Iíve noticed that people will tend to have preferences for certain activities depending on their original experience base, for instance in the extremes: selling or process management; dealing with people or tasks.

Wait...big sky your in miles? Seriously....that's my home town. Every time I'm back I hear,"its the m&h guy" from seriously a long time ago. I'll wave at ya on my way through tomorrow! After I clean my maf sensor and clean up my car. Its so muddy up here in Sidney!

I Support ClubWRX
    yes Sir Sidney is a booming little town nowadays!

Well....I'm not sure what helped more, a few hours with yellow wax and a buffer or the clean maf. But Damn. 302.6 miles from fill up to hotel in Billings with the needle stuck on a quarter tank. Interested to see what the gas receipt says tomorrow. We stopped to run our dogs by the hospital and I waved in your general direction. I think. Unless that was you going east by glendive.....

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah- that's good gas mileage- especially headed west, I almost always get better mileage coming back home

Ya true. Well heck...the hole trip is downhill on the way back Haha. I'll get some numbers posted up for before and after. I was only making twenty two interstate before

OK first tank after clean maf and ECU reset. 304.4 miles at 12.98 gallons. Comes out to a nice 23.4 mpg. Not to bad considering I just reset the computer, loaded the fam and hit the road. That said I have covered almost everything from slow in town to wot pulls to 4500ish rpm launching through traffic getting out of billings and passing cars on the two lane highways. Not to bad at all. Hoping the computer will tune up a bit more on the way home and break into the 24s.

Not to jack my own thread but my gas gauge doesn't reflect the numbers I got. Seems a bit top heavy... at 150 I was at three quarters full and at 300 I was 13 gallons empty. That's really empty for not showing a low fuel light!

you do know that the MAF is actually the little resistors inside the main cavity. The amber thing measures intake temperature.
    Red JDM 2002 WRX 20K Wagon

I'm new to the subaru scene and used to tune a Sentra Spec-V. One time it was suggested that I clean my MAF by spraying the cleaner on it so I did. Well it really screwed me over because I had to pay the dealership 300$ to do an "idle re-learn" on my computer. Apparently this isn't a problem for WRX's? Why not?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by watermelontrout View Post
    I'm new to the subaru scene and used to tune a Sentra Spec-V. One time it was suggested that I clean my MAF by spraying the cleaner on it so I did. Well it really screwed me over because I had to pay the dealership 300$ to do an "idle re-learn" on my computer. Apparently this isn't a problem for WRX's? Why not?
    When you clean the MAF on a Subaru, all you have to do is unplug the battery for a few minutes to let the ECU reset. Then when you plug it in, the ECU goes to a very safe tune, and then slowly becomes more aggressive. It basically starts over from scratch and learns things all over again. Your sentra should have been the same way... That's how almost all MAF based cars are. I get the feeling that the mechanic / dealership screwed you on that.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    If I'm honest, I don't reset the ECU when I clean the MAF. I just drive away, no problems.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If I'm honest, I don't reset the ECU when I clean the MAF. I just drive away, no problems.
    You'll probably have a temporary rich condition... but meh... probably doesn't affect anything, and resolves super quick. Technically you're supposed to reset it though.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!