$5 and 5 minutes to a better running car :) - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on and 5 minutes to a better running car :) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Sinister So the first post may want to be updated to clarify this. It could be easily ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    So the first post may want to be updated to clarify this. It could be easily misunderstood. (ps... I appreciate the space after the period Ron )
    I'm learn'n
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Has anyone asked their dealer why they don't do this as a part of the big 30,60,90k services on our cars? Seems like to simple of a thing for them to be ignoring... Thoughts?

Walked into Autozone, inhaled so that i could ask where the stuff was, I saw it immediately to my right. Easier than I thought it would be to find it. Used it, and let it dry, then doubled up and did it again Low end feels much smoother, and stronger!! No more of them there hesitations
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

How often should this be done? Thanks

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    no published guidelines on this I do mine w/ every air filter change ~ 15,000 miles
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

if you clean your aftermarket air filter or change your stock one every 3000 miles you should never have to do this.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    not aware of any filter that is 100% effective in removing all contaminants, well there probably is but they probably don't breathe really well

changing your filter often should certainly lessen the need to do this
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

cobb filters do not seem to let much get by them. if you clean your filter you will not have to do this to often mine is spotless but i am really obsessed with keeping things tip top.

I Support ClubWRX
    A used oil analysis should reveal whether the air filter is effective or not. This is one reason I am sometimes so disappointed in manufacturers of imitation or "aftermarket" filters. They claim better flow and better filtration yet they do not present UOA data (the type of data a professional tech firm might generate as a matter of routine operations when designing a filter, right?) comparing their product with the authentic product. Same motor, several max interval UOAs would be great comparing the two.

If the UOAs are convincing show improved filtration and the price makes sense, I'd buy one. Why not? If the UOAs show increased dirt though...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Can someone tell me how I would access my MAF? and what tools would I need.

I Support ClubWRX
    Find the cover for the air cleaner. As you are facing the nose of the car, it will be a black squarish object on the left. This is attached to a tube that goes to the center from the left. Halfway along that tube, with a harness facing forward, there is a small black object with two philips head screws. That is the MAF.

Disconnect the harness. Carefully unscrew and remove the MAF, it is sealed with an o-ring. Clean as stated here, and reverse the steps.

If you have a CEL, you may as well disconnect the battery before removing the harness, as this is safe anyway and it clears the CEL.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

flatspot

Hi Guys

Clive from Johannesburg South Africa here...

New to the Subaru world...I got a 2006 WRX for about 3 months now...

My car has a flatspot (sort of stutters) at 2500rpm in all gears. Could this be caused by a dirty MAF sensor?

7.69 plus tax at autozone in monroe, Wa

Is anyone resetting the ECM when they do this? The MAF is a major sensor and effects the A/F ratio alot so with a different reading I think it would be best to let the ECM relearn everything with the new readings. A dirty sensor will make the engine run richer, not as much air getting to the sensor elements, so I think it would be a good idea to have it all reset to allow the ECM to start fresh.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't unless there was a CEL due to the MAF, and I do so only to save time staring at the light, not for learning purposes.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.