$5 and 5 minutes to a better running car :) - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on and 5 minutes to a better running car :) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just bought this today..im gonna try it right now..ive been using a perrin drop in since i got my ...

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    i just bought this today..im gonna try it right now..ive been using a perrin drop in since i got my car..and its got 10k on it now..

those perrin filters are soaked in oil...im kinda regretting the purchace...and i might put back the stock filter after i clean the MAF!

Thanks Big Sky WRX for the product rec.
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's the tempertature sensor that I have pictured- the MAF is indeed in the tube- you need to shine a flashlight down the tube to see the wires clearly.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

ok so i'm trying to clean this now with brakleen... i have the maf soaking in a pool of it right now... i can tell that it is breaking down some of the dirt by the color of the fluid, but there is still plenty of gunk on the IAT bulb, indicating that the MAF wires are probably not totallly clean either.
    i admit, this is my first MAF cleaning in 50k miles, but how easily should the brake cleaner break the dirt free and can we expect a perfectly clean MAF sensor when all is said and done?
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I think the temp sensor is more likely to get dirty than the MAF wires- they are in the direct line of fire- if the temp sensor is clean- the MAF wires certainly should be.

My temp sensor was more notceably dirty than the actual MAF wires.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

I think I will either clean mine tomorrow or sometime this weekend... I have 65K and a K&N filter...
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    I think the temp sensor is more likely to get dirty than the MAF wires- they are in the direct line of fire- if the temp sensor is clean- the MAF wires certainly should be.

My temp sensor was more notceably dirty than the actual MAF wires.
    ^ I agree, a dirty temp sensor is moreso what causes poor running as compared to a clean one...the temp probe is one of the main things that control timing advance....
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

No luck finding this product at the local auto parts stores here in MD. Hardly anyone has ever heard of it either! (nor had I until this thread, but there are actually a few articles written about cleaning the MAF sensor and the CRC cleaner if you google). I had to convince this one lady to even go into her computer to search for it. The best thing I have found is to order online at: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...tion.asp?19596 but shipping is literally as much as the $6.99 product price. I'll order online here if I have to.

Where have you guys been purchasing the CRC MAF cleaner?
    I love my car, don't you?

Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HudsonWRX
    No luck finding this product at the local auto parts stores here in MD. Hardly anyone has ever heard of it either! (nor had I until this thread, but there are actually a few articles written about cleaning the MAF sensor and the CRC cleaner if you google). I had to convince this one lady to even go into her computer to search for it. The best thing I have found is to order online at: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...tion.asp?19596 but shipping is literally as much as the $6.99 product price. I'll order online here if I have to.

Where have you guys been purchasing the CRC MAF cleaner?

Just buy Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner. Its the same stuff and you can buy it at any auto parts store.

just remember guys: if you have a K&N filter, its SUPPOSED to be dirty. The dirt becomes part of the filter!
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Just buy Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner. Its the same stuff and you can buy it at any auto parts store.
    It seems like brake cleaner is a bit harsh for the MAF sensor. Is non-chlorinated that much less harsh on the MAF sensor parts. I haven't really read about what the CRC cleaner really contains vs. the brake cleaners.

Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    It seems like brake cleaner is a bit harsh for the MAF sensor. Is non-chlorinated that much less harsh on the MAF sensor parts. I haven't really read about what the CRC cleaner really contains vs. the brake cleaners.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=2

I heard if you use non-clorinated brake cleaner you should spray some into a little cop and DIP the sensor into it rather than spraying it on the sensor...but MAF sensors aren't cheap...I'd go with the MAF cleaner.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    I heard if you use non-clorinated brake cleaner you should spray some into a little cop and DIP the sensor into it rather than spraying it on the sensor...but MAF sensors aren't cheap...I'd go with the MAF cleaner.
    Quote Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    This is how I did it:

Take the MAF out of the car and make sure not to touch any of the sensors with your fingers.

Get a plastic sandwhich bag and spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner into it. Enough to cover the sensor portion of the MAF.

Put the MAF into the bag and shake it around.

Take out the MAF and let it air dry.

Re-install it after it is visually dry.

I agree. $6 extra bux for shipping it is.

<----------- EDIT: post 100! Two years and all I've said here is 100 things. I guess I tend to mod quietly.
    Last edited by HudsonWRX; 05-10-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree. $6 extra bux for shipping it is.

<----------- EDIT: post 100! Two years and all I've said here is 100 things. I guess I tend to mod quietly.

And expensively.