Stock muffler valve/flap
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock muffler valve/flap within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does the WRX come with a muffler that has a valve or flap of some kind that opens at high ...

Stock muffler valve/flap

Does the WRX come with a muffler that has a valve or flap of some kind that opens at high exhaust velocities - or am I thinking of a different car? If it does, I'm sure someone has removed or modified it - what were the results?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

NEGATIVE
    06 Protuned Stg2 WRB WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #123

I Support ClubWRX
    The C6 Corvette has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    The C6 Corvette has it.

Nissan used it in the Skyline and the Maxima before GM copied it to the C6 Vette.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

Ferrari's had it for a while. I think the 348 or the 355 was the first Ferrari to have it
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

vw R32 has it...all the R32 guys do the "exhaust flapper mod*, which is putting a zip-tie on the flapper, which makes it significantly louder.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

The EVO IX has one as well.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    No flapper on the Rex, but alot of the European companies have been using them lately. The new Aston Martin V8 Vantage has one, as well as the BMW M series cars made in the last year. Most of these seem to be used in a "sport" mode. Seems like it just opens up the exhuast flow a bit and gives it that nice high performance race car growl. The Vantage is definetly one loud ass car when you get on it, but it evidently quiets down alot when you just drive nice and aren't at WOT all the time. Kinda cool. I've seen people add these to the wrx, but its really loud when open and most only use it for the race track. When I changed out my Catback (got the the catless DP and UP first), I just couldn't resist turning the car on to see how really loud it would be without a muffler, and to say the least it was no disapointment. A little loud for every day use for me, though some people do go with just a straight pipe.

JH

how would one add one of these flapperes to their exhaust on a wrx? I want to get a loud exhaust...but not have it be loud when I'm on the highway and such...so I'm interested.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Quote Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem
    I've seen people add these to the wrx, but its really loud when open and most only use it for the race track. When I changed out my Catback (got the the catless DP and UP first), I just couldn't resist turning the car on to see how really loud it would be without a muffler, and to say the least it was no disapointment. A little loud for every day use for me, though some people do go with just a straight pipe.

JH

I think your thinking of a cut-out thats a little different.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    different method...same idea. Yes, its the cutout. Pretty much its a y-pipe with a solonoid. You attach one end of the Y to your normal exhaust route, and one is just open ended. The solonoid controlls a little gate thing that open and closes. Most people install it after the downpipe, so that it still gets the exhaust gas away from the important bits of the car and to insure that you don't get carbon monoxide and other fun stuff in the cabin of the car. Not sure how much it costs, but you can just buy it and have it welded in place at a muffler shop. You'll have to run some wires for control and power, and install a switch inside the car to control it. Its about the closest thing to what the car manufacturers have been using lately. I think those are built seamlessly into the exhaust system and still go through the muffler. I imagine it works in a similar way, except the cars ECU controls the solonoid rather then you pushing a switch. If you are interested in pics or a write up, just search for exhaust cutout or something like that on here or nasioc.

JH

QUICKTIMEPERFORMANCE.COM has the cut out downpipe for the rex. i got one used off a buddy. it's quite fun sitting at a stoplight flipping the switch to open and close it next to cars. they look at me kind of confused.
    So Cal F4 member #19

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.