Subaru WRX Forum banner

Charge pipe & stage 2 question 2017 wrx

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeter1 
#1 ·
So I've been reading and researching about replacing charge pipe with possibly the Perrin charge pipe. Is it true that you don't need a tune if you swap out charge pipes? If so why would you not need a tune since it's allowing more air flow from the co press or side of turbo? I'm nood to WRX and turbos. I'm trying to learn everything I can about my dream car. Been reading books on turbos and engines. Another question I have is eventually down the road I wanted to go stage 2 with TBE. I Live in Massachusetts and have to get car inspected every year. If I go turbo back exhaust that removes the CAT correct. So then I wouldn't be able to pass emissions and inspection correct? So is a stage 2 not possible for me. I plan on getting the Cobb AP with their intake and J-pipe. Any advice and info you guys have and can provide would be great. Once again love being apart of this forum. So much great info and help.

#2 ·
Is it true that you don't need a tune if you swap out charge pipes? If so why would you not need a tune since it's allowing more air flow from the co press or side of turbo?
Here is your mistake -- you assume than an OEM charge pipe is somehow a restriction. Answer: it's likely not. Even if it were, the ECU can compensate for additional airflow. That's never been an issue unless the engine is hitting far higher peak load than stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.