Subaru WRX Forum banner

Opinions on blown turbo situation

876 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MainFrame 
#1 · (Edited)
My TD04 just started leaking oil into the hotside of the turbo which I'm assuming is due to failing seals. I'm wondering what you guys think I should do. I can buy a rebuild for 400$. I can buy used and possibly get screwed over by some douche for something around 100. Or I can attempt to rebuild it myself. I'm not by any means the most mechanically inclined person but I've done all of my bolt ons myself and then some [currently hitting valve cover gaskets, installed downpipe, uppipe, catback turbo inlet, intake, new pads, calipers, rotors all around, ebcs, etc] . I would imagine the turbo would still need to be balanced professionally? As much as I'd love to slap in a 16-20g I dont think my current budget can handle it as I'd need to source a new tmic, injectors and tune.

What would Jesus do?

#2 · (Edited)
Personally, I would look for a used turbo from a reputable seller for $120 or less. It could end up being no good (fail after a short period of time), but at least you would only be out around $100. I usually shy away from buying used parts, but inexpensive OEM turbos is an exception.. when you're talking about getting something for 1/10th the cost it would be new sometimes the risk is worth it. I've sold two td04s, one I knew was good for $120, and another one that some dude just gave me for $90.. the first buyer said it was leaking oil at first, but then it turned out he didn't have the oil feed line on right. I never heard back from the second buyer so I assume it worked out for him since I had told him I would refund his money if it didn't work.

#3 ·
This is true. There is a core refund which will help about 25% on the rebuild so it wont be AS expensive but it's still a lot of money to not be making any difference in power. Any idea if you need to retune when replacing the turbo with same model?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.