Subaru WRX Forum banner

jpipe sound differences by brand

10K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Steemax 
#1 ·
Sorry guys, this is a total noob question.

Question: Is there much of a sound difference between one brand's j-pipe and another brand's? (Cobb vs Nameless)

Context: I've got at 2016 WRX with a nameless catback (5" muffler) and I'm planning on getting a Cobb downpipe installed. The guy I talked to told me that the non-resonated downpipe might drone. From what I've read, the nameless tuboback (which has a non-resonated downpipe) with the 5" muffler is quite reasonable. Do you think installing Cobb's downpipe vs Nameless' will make that much of a difference in volume?

#2 ·
Useless someone here has owned and swapped out these pipes, the only responses you'll get is "mine is the best.". You need to find a meet up and see if others will let you take a ride in their car, this way you can make an informed decision.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm really just wondering if this configuration is crazy loud. To me it doesn't really make since to me that one 3" pipe makes much of a difference in volume than another 3" pipe, but I don't really know.

#5 ·
Catted vs. Non-Catted will have an immense difference in sound. Catted will be much louder, as well as let certain gases pass through the exhaust, resulting in fumes and an often noxious odor if you're behind the car.

Unlike 4EverMetal, I think it's easy to say that catted is going to be a lot quieter than non-catted, and since it's a J-Pipe, and not the actual catback, the volume will be the main difference. I've had both catted and non-catted, so I feel I can accurately tell you that.

If we were talking about a full catback, there's a world of difference from system to system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.