Subaru WRX Forum banner

Upgraded Turbo Question

9K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  mjmwrx 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Stage 1 BrenTune on my 2016 WRX and I'm planning out what I want to do with my car. Currently I'm thinking Stage 2 + TMIC + SteamSpeed STX stock location turbo. My question is, does anyone on this forum have any experience with the 2015+ WRX and an upgraded turbo? If so, what are these experiences as far as what was required as far as mods, WHP over baseline, and reliability concerns.

I want to do it the proper way so I won't risk blowing up my car. It will be my daily driver and I plan on keeping it, even when I get another car. I thought of trading my WRX for a STi before upgrading but I'm kind of in the I already have the WRX and unless it's for very very good reason I'd like to stick with it to avoid the financial loss. I know upgrades = shorter life span but you all get what I mean.

Thanks!

#2 ·
NASIOC - View Single Post - BrenTuning | 2015 WRX development thread

TL;DR:

So anyways the testing goes as follows. We had a test 2016 WRX with full bolt-ons get tuned in late April. Since then the customer added a Mishimoto FMIC and we installed a SteamSpeed 67 with Turbosmart wastegate, all else is equal.

Full mod list:

Mishi J
Mishi Intake
Mishi TGV
Mishi FMIC
Nameless muffler delete
SteamSpeed 67
Turbosmart 75 7PSI Wastegate
93 Pump gas

#10 ·
Maybe they are referring to mid 300's at the crank which would probably equal 300 or so to the wheels. I have a 17 limited and I'm weighing my mod options. I want to have a comprehensive plan and do everything at once though so I'm looking for the perfect recipe of bolt ons. I have to admit the warranty issue scares me. I was actually debating selling the car and buying a truck because I didn't want to take the risk but now I'm leaning the other way.

#11 ·
If it's crank hp then that would make sense.

I have a '16 Premium and I'm too trying to plan everything out so I can get it all done at once. The warranty issue doesn't bother me because it's plenty of modified Subaru's at my dealership and unless the issue is directly related to an aftermarket part they don't mind; if they installed that aftermarket part, they also don't mind. They even sell and install aftermarket performance parts. I've seen some performance modded WRX/STi in there for warranty repairs that weren't related to the upgraded parts. I'm definitely going over the edge and blowing up the engine which is why I'm sticking with around 400whp goal. It's been achieved plus more by others. The only instance I've seen where it's gone bad was this one guy that apparently didn't listen to anyone and thought he knew what he was doing and blew his engine.

I've found these two posts and it's making me considering a turbo different than the STX 67.
Click Here and Click Here

#16 ·
Let me put this out there... engine wise, neither the WRX nor STi will be particularly reliable at 400whp.

The STi has an advantage that the (almost certain) failure mode is predictably the pistons and generally the block can be rehoned and reused in the case of a failure. With the FA20, rod failure will almost certainly destroy your block and maybe the heads. The FA20F should absolutely be built preventatively.

Both should be built for >400whp but the STI transmission and R180 rear diff will handle the increased power with much better reliability. You also get the DCCD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#19 ·
You are absolutely right. I know I mentioned 400+ whp and stated some reasons why I chose a STi over keeping my wrx. But I do know and understand that a stock motor on either one will not be reliable over the 400whp mark. When it comes to that point in my STi's life, I will certainly be building the motor as well. But that will not be until it is paid off. I chose the STi for some of the clear upgrades and for the reasons you mentioned such as the rear end.

#23 ·
I really need to do my research on the new FA20. Most of my knowledge is on the EJ's. The only consistent thing I have read on the FA20 is the weak connecting rods....... And to be honest, I don't know how truthful that statement really is.

#24 · (Edited)
What's interesting to me is how great of an engine the FA is and it's potential as far as rivaling the EJ25.

What I am interested in knowing is what Subaru will do with the FA engine for the STi and if that's even going to be the case. I know the EJ25 has to be on it's way out and I'm sure the FA will be beefed up for the STi, hopefully. I'm just wondering when that will happen.

#25 ·
I know a little about cars... more than Joe shmoe but nothing compared to most of you here. But It would makes sense to me that if subaru plans on upping the power they should increase displacement not decrease it...like a 3.0 liter turbo v6. Or go with a twin turbo setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.