Subaru WRX Forum banner

stock 02. turbo replacement

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Montrexx 
#1 ·
Hey so I bought my first car, a 2002 WRX Impreza a week ago, 100% stock, and I love it. Also please note Im new to this and a little (alot) uneducated so I sorry if I sound dumb. Learning is a process. Anyway, Its got 170k and im looking at replacing/ upgrading the turbo. Im a HS student and just looking for an affordable option that will still give good power. I was looking at the vf48 which i believe comes stock in STis. Would this give a significant boost in hp? Also would I need any other parts/ supporting mods to run this? Im very lost on what turbo is right for me and my car. i dont want to have to put in a bunch of other (expensive) parts and get a pro tune and all that. Thats for later down the road. I saw some kits on ebay but ive heard kits arent always the way to go. so for now, What turbo is right for me???????

#2 ·
Don't take this as an insult, but if you're in high school, unless the car is in need of a new turbo, just leave it stock.

If you swap to any turbo other than stock, you're going to need a protune. Do not ever buy performance car parts from ebay. You get what you pay for, and you will regret it.

I will iterate again, that stock is 100% your best option at this point.

#3 ·
To run any turbo other than the stock one, you will need the turbo ($1000-$2300), a catless uppipe ($220), aftermarket turboback exhaust ($1200), fuel injectors ($450), fuel pump ($100), and a custom tune ($500) MINIMUM. Although I would also recommend a 3-port EBCS ($120) and an upgraded intercooler ($1000).. so you're looking at roughly $5000, assuming you do all the work yourself. I would add on about another grand for labor if you're not experienced with working on cars and/or don't own your own tools.

At that point you will likely need a new clutch and flywheel as well, so add in another $1200 for that..

Of course this doesn't account for the fact that with 170,000 miles on the engine chances are very likely that it will blow shortly after going through with the turbo upgrade.. so you will also want to have another car to drive while it's getting fixed, and about $6000 set aside for the new engine.

#10 ·
Just found out from my mechanic that the annoying whine coming from my turbo is the imminent sounds of its death. I have had my 2002 WRX since April 2001 when it first showed up at the dealer. I want to just replace the stock turbo and am looking to do this with as little cost as possible. Suggestions on where to get a factory turbo from someone who has upgraded theirs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.